British Speedway Forum
Daniel Smith

King's Lynn Stars 2017

I heard something similar from a steward after talking with a track grader, in that. the new shale laid over the old didn't bond. When the bikes slid over it separated instead of bonding. Hopefully a one off problem that won't raise it head again.....

Anybody watching could see there were problems with the track, even the Ref had he been interested. But that doesn't condone those who walked out...

I'm not sticking up for Holder here.But as you are now saying you heard there were actually problems with the track,putting you in Holder's shoes would you want to do a job that is more dangerous than what it already is?It's a dangerous sport as it is,but if it is even more dangerous do you blame riders for making a stand.

Re the track and Holder saga. I have heard, in directly I must admit, that track had had many tonnes of new shale put on it a few days before. The riders complain was they couldn't turn their bikes because the new shale was sliding over the old shale. Understand it felt as if track was moving under the bikes, rather than bikes sliding through the shale. It's a bit like the problem they had at Twinkenham/Cardiff in the 6 nations rugby, when scrummaging. In that case the pitch was sliding over its base surface.

I haven't seen any comments from Holder as yet, perhaps when he does comment he may confirm this or not.

It's clear the track wasn't to everyone's liking but it still remains that Poole riders raced on it whilst the Lynn riders didn't want to know.

Indirectly I was told by one of the Poole riders that it was very grippy but raceable.

• Like 2

I'm not sticking up for Holder here.But as you are now saying you heard there were actually problems with the track,putting you in Holder's shoes would you want to do a job that is more dangerous than what it already is?It's a dangerous sport as it is,but if it is even more dangerous do you blame riders for making a stand.

If all the riders had made a stand there would have been far less of a problem. One or two riders having tantrums is not the way to do it.

• Like 2

will separate the true core support from the fair weather fans.

There is big event on in sandringham today. So if you come from out that way then leave plenty of time!

Don't forget Danny, some of us have a long way to travel to home meetings, in my case, I live 6 miles south of Norwich. If a meeting is in doubt, I'd rather not risk a wasted 100 mile round trip. I've done it many times in the past, and sat in the car park, only to have to turn round and drive back to Norwich again! Once upon a time we were able to subscribe to a Stars text service, that sent a text message to your mobile if a meeting was called off. Excellent idea, and it did save me some wasted trips, may be some thing to do with JC? That no longer happens, so as I said, far from being a "fair weather" fan, I just don't want to waste my time and money, especially with the current situation.

Re the track and Holder saga. I have heard, in directly I must admit, that track had had many tonnes of new shale put on it a few days before. The riders complain was they couldn't turn their bikes because the new shale was sliding over the old shale. Understand it felt as if track was moving under the bikes, rather than bikes sliding through the shale. It's a bit like the problem they had at Twinkenham/Cardiff in the 6 nations rugby, when scrummaging. In that case the pitch was sliding over its base surface.

I haven't seen any comments from Holder as yet, perhaps when he does comment he may confirm this or not.

A good explanation DWP, which sounds perfectly plausible. What I can't get my head around, is the race times. After Buster spread tons of sawdust on the track, and graded it, the riders were blasting round in times well under 60 seconds, which is quick for a perfect track, so if it was that unrideable, why weren't the times 64 seconds of something like that? Apart from the clouds of sawdust being kicked up, nobody looked to be having an issue that I could see. Very strange?

• Like 2

KL hosted Dirtquake the whole weekend before the Poole meeting, wouldn't have thought major track work took place in the 3 days following this.

Once upon a time we were able to subscribe to a Stars text service, that sent a text message to your mobile if a meeting was called off.

still get them, 14.21 today it was received

Don't forget Danny, some of us have a long way to travel to home meetings, in my case, I live 6 miles south of Norwich. If a meeting is in doubt, I'd rather not risk a wasted 100 mile round trip. I've done it many times in the past, and sat in the car park, only to have to turn round and drive back to Norwich again! Once upon a time we were able to subscribe to a Stars text service, that sent a text message to your mobile if a meeting was called off. Excellent idea, and it did save me some wasted trips, may be some thing to do with JC? That no longer happens, so as I said, far from being a "fair weather" fan, I just don't want to waste my time and money, especially with the current situation.

A good explanation DWP, which sounds perfectly plausible. What I can't get my head around, is the race times. After Buster spread tons of sawdust on the track, and graded it, the riders were blasting round in times well under 60 seconds, which is quick for a perfect track, so if it was that unrideable, why weren't the times 64 seconds of something like that? Apart from the clouds of sawdust being kicked up, nobody looked to be having an issue that I could see. Very strange?

Before the track work 4 races were in the 58s and the other 2 in the 59s and all races after the work were also in the 58/59s, All pretty quick for a bad track!!

Might be old news.Just heard on the radio that Lyon has stood down due to other it not working out and his other commitments

Edited by Bald Bloke

still get them, 14.21 today it was received

Thanks for the info about the text messages Steve. I wonder why I no longer receive them? I've had the same mobile number for years. I have looked on the Stars web site, and the most recent programme, but can find nothing about the weather service text messages, any idea how I re-subscribe? I seem to remember sending a message saying "subscribe" to a certain number. If you don't know, I'll have to email the stadium.

Thanks again.

Not disagreeing at all.I'm sure your right.But lesser riders(no disrespect) go on with it all the way until the end.The more accomplished didn't fancy it.Not acceptable hence the Holder ban.And Holder told a member of this forum Batch's injury wasn't real in so many words.

The actions of that night could of cost Lynn 4 points and a play off place.

Edited by Bald Bloke