British Speedway Forum
Daniel Smith

King's Lynn Stars 2017

Once upon a time, to me British Speedway was a religion. My whole world revolved round speedway. I can remember going to every meeting, home and away year after year. The rows it caused between the wife and I were countless.. I use to meet up with Alan Littlechild and off we went. It not as though we were going to win, but the fight and passion, the atmosphere, the excitement , the banter , made it all worthwhile. I remember one year going to Coatbridge and winning , next we were in Newcastle and got well beaten. Miles and time meant nothing. You had this feeling of belonging to the club. They appreciated you and you, in return stayed loyal with your support....

How times have changed. Even when losing, Alan and Cyril always had their finger on the pulse. The fans always knew what was going on and what they were thinking of. Now we are a club with possibly the worst communication with the fans ever. It is run as one big secret making the fans feel unimportant... If the promotion are as distant with the riders as they are the fans its little wonder they perform like they do.,

Peter Adams, with his finger on the pulse, has stolen a march on every club with his forward thinking. Just for once, I would have loved that to have been our team.. But good luck to them .

​Having won 26 out of their last 30 races at home they sure are looking mighty strong. That's the difference. between them and Lynn. Here the fans are aware of our short falls and are only to willing to suggest their opinions. We don't hear a Dickie bird from the club, not even a view or response or a whisper., Yet someone like Adams goes out and sorts its....

Me... It wouldn't bother me if I go now or not. I hate feeling as if I'm being taken for a ride...... All the good times have gone. We have pay good money to watch processional races, The generated atmosphere is false . The riders think their Gods and we have to bow to their every whim. Where once they would mix and talk with the fans now they cant wait to go.. Its a far cry to the sport that ruled my life for more years than I care to remember..... I feel sorry for the young supporters who don't know any different, At least my memory banks are full of all the good times that Speedway once was.....

Again, a great post.

When this 2017 team was put together and the changes in management I was absolutely buzzing for the season to get going.

So much so, I've bought my first ever season ticket.

Only 2 meetings at home and oh boy do I regret doing that now.

My old man isn't going to go any more due to how bad things are.

the times you talk of was when I started going to KL 1972 was my first season - in those days all we had for fixtures team updates was Lynn news twice a week and the speedway Star once a week and we was more up to date than we are now with websites Facebook twitter all are instant no waiting it makes the current lack of information a total joke - and when we the fans do have opinions we get labelled key board worriers by our team manager rather than answer some of the questions.

Good luck to Trees and the supporters club but it's the promotion that should be bridging the gap between fans and promotion not the supporters club . I'm like you I'm don't care if I go to watch or not now the magic has gone over the years .

Apart from the first season back in the top league, which Jonathan was still involved the racing has been bad but this season is the worst it's ever been.

Once upon a time, to me British Speedway was a religion. My whole world revolved round speedway. I can remember going to every meeting, home and away year after year. The rows it caused between the wife and I were countless.. I use to meet up with Alan Littlechild and off we went. It not as though we were going to win, but the fight and passion, the atmosphere, the excitement , the banter , made it all worthwhile. I remember one year going to Coatbridge and winning , next we were in Newcastle and got well beaten. Miles and time meant nothing. You had this feeling of belonging to the club. They appreciated you and you, in return stayed loyal with your support....

How times have changed. Even when losing, Alan and Cyril always had their finger on the pulse. The fans always knew what was going on and what they were thinking of. Now we are a club with possibly the worst communication with the fans ever. It is run as one big secret making the fans feel unimportant... If the promotion are as distant with the riders as they are the fans its little wonder they perform like they do.,

Peter Adams, with his finger on the pulse, has stolen a march on every club with his forward thinking. Just for once, I would have loved that to have been our team.. But good luck to them .

​Having won 26 out of their last 30 races at home they sure are looking mighty strong. That's the difference. between them and Lynn. Here the fans are aware of our short falls and are only to willing to suggest their opinions. We don't hear a Dickie bird from the club, not even a view or response or a whisper., Yet someone like Adams goes out and sorts its....

Me... It wouldn't bother me if I go now or not. I hate feeling as if I'm being taken for a ride...... All the good times have gone. We have pay good money to watch processional races, The generated atmosphere is false . The riders think their Gods and we have to bow to their every whim. Where once they would mix and talk with the fans now they cant wait to go.. Its a far cry to the sport that ruled my life for more years than I care to remember..... I feel sorry for the young supporters who don't know any different, At least my memory banks are full of all the good times that Speedway once was.....

My thoughts and feelings to a T. I am only going tomorrow because a more optimistic than me friend is coming over from Peterborough. And Yes! At least my memory banks too are full of the glorious - speedway racing days at Saddlebow Rd - if not quite "glory" days!

Did none of you enjoy our PL days, funny old lot.

I'm concerned about the quality of the racing and have come to the conclusion that lay down engines need to be abolished with up rights coming back again but meanwhile make the track slick so the riders aren't bombing round the end of the dirt line .... any other suggestions?

Did none of you enjoy our PL days, funny old lot.

I enjoyed them Trees.

The effort and commitment put in by our riders was way above anything I witnessed in the Elite League. This clearly feed into the crowd and every meeting felt like a cup final. No one understood how fans enjoyed the 75-15 thumping of Sheffield but if was not about the racing, it was about the effort and watching our team fight so hard with so much effort and commitment.

Incredible days and I think that is what GRW and others are missing.

• Like 1

I enjoyed them Trees.

The effort and commitment put in by our riders was way above anything I witnessed in the Elite League. This clearly feed into the crowd and every meeting felt like a cup final. No one understood how fans enjoyed the 75-15 thumping of Sheffield but if was not about the racing, it was about the effort and watching our team fight so hard with so much effort and commitment.

Hi JC, Yeah, increditable days that was thoroughly enjoyed. No, it was not that we won most weeks but the effort and application put in by all concerned. Like you say, everybody wanted to beat us and that's what made it special. When it was decided to go back into the top division, I had hoped this approach would continue against stiffer opposition... In fact that first year back, (2011, I think) was a pretty good year. I know we didn't win every week but you could see that effort.. The 3 heat leaders of KB, Niels and Mads all showed that commitment that we the fans look for. Good Friday against Poole was amazing. The place was heaving and the atmosphere was unbelievable......

How can something that was so good disappear like it has.????

When the stox catch fence went up around the track the atmosphere died. Kids used to high five the riders over the track fence after a race and the riders interacted with them. Sadly those days are gone .

I enjoyed them Trees.

I enjoyed those days in the PL, the riders were a TEAM, there was a lot of fun with the riders at the club, and that's what helped the club to win trophies - it was that spirit that pushed everyone forward and the opposition hated coming to Kings Lynn because they felt intimidated.

Things going on at Peterborough is the club trying to involve the supporters, make people feel part of things, we need that to happen at Kings Lynn again

• Like 3

I was looking at a team photo from the premier league days the riders and promotion where all play fighting trying to ride what looks like a bucking bronco everyone looked so happy and a team. Now you are lucky if they can be bothered to wave to the crowd as they are too busy talking to each other on the parade truck. I watched lamberts meeting today in Poland and all the riders walked the track shaking hands and bowing and waving to the fans why can't they be bothered to do that at lynn ?? The management should make them the kids are the future !

• Like 1

I was looking at a team photo from the premier league days the riders and promotion where all play fighting trying to ride what looks like a bucking bronco everyone looked so happy and a team. Now you are lucky if they can be bothered to wave to the crowd as they are too busy talking to each other on the parade truck. I watched lamberts meeting today in Poland and all the riders walked the track shaking hands and bowing and waving to the fans why can't they be bothered to do that at lynn ?? The management should make them the kids are the future !

The bucking bronco was part of one of the theme nights (Wild West from memory) which I promoted over the summer holidays. Nothing to stop this happening in the Elite or National league, they were a great success and as you said, they also helped the team bond more.

• Like 2

As the saying goes what goes around, comes around.

JC did a decent job when he was handling the marketing, but for whatever reason he went. Looking at things he is not the only guy in the world who can handle a simple marketing job like Kings Lynn Speedway, will Buster see the light thou and get someone in to ramp it up again. Someone part-time could handle it. Not as if there are many meetings and it's only a limited season.

The bucking bronco was part of one of the theme nights (Wild West from memory) which I promoted over the summer holidays. Nothing to stop this happening in the Elite or National league, they were a great success and as you said, they also helped the team bond more.

Because it cost money which they don't want to pay out for, I could not believe that Rodger Warnes had to pay to come in and watch the stars this year after all the money that he has put in to the club I think I am correct that's what happened when Mark Alexander the owner of the money centre stopped sponsoring the stars, you need to keep these people happy as you don't know when you may Want these people to sponsor you again.

Edited by lynnboy

Roger and Anita Warnes should have lifetime free admission after the money and effort they put into the club it's absolutely disgusting that they are made to pay to get in this season .

• Like 2

Can't see that Roger is gonna worry about parting with 15 quid each week lol

Edited by semion

Can't see that Roger is gonna worry about parting with 15 quid each week lol

It's not the point what happens when Holder buggers off and then Trucks are us stop there sponsorship? This is why you keep people like Roger happy as you may want him to sponsor you again

• Like 1