British Speedway Forum
Paul

Longest Meeting Ever

With Rye House starting at 2-30pm holding a triple header and according to updates still going on at 8:30pm. Is this likely to be the longest meeting ever?

Couldn't stomach the launch pad today Paul, I went to eastie instead. The lack of urgency at rye has sapped my enthusiasm for the place to be honest.

With Rye House starting at 2-30pm holding a triple header and according to updates still going on at 8:30pm. Is this likely to be the longest meeting ever?

Crikey!!

Did folk have to take their breakfasts? :o;):D

It would be interesting to know if there were any longer Meetings.

• Like 1

Started at 2.30 and finished at 8.25. Three meetings with what seemed to be little urgency on getting them going. Sun break before the third meeting didn't help the situation.

Good grief! :o I'm afraid I would have gone home half way through the second match if there was no urgency to get things moving. Coventry's double header on Friday was bad enough but at least the referee put the two minutes time allowance on immediately a race had finished.

Far to long I agree but it was two meetings, I was at the PL 4`s a couple or three years ago where it was another six hour meeting, mainly down to accidents and injured riders.

when a speedway meeting takes longer than a round of golf one wonders who can spare the time if one has a family to think about...

So was this a triple header? Never ever heard of one before... Or was it two PL fixtures and a National League fixture, or was it just a double header with sarcastic license??

Was the final round of the 150cc championship followed by Raiders v Kings Lynn followed by Raiders v Milldenhall. Not sure how many 150 races there were.

Edited by Paul

Was the final round of the 150cc championship followed by Raiders v Kings Lynn followed by Raiders v Milldenhall. Not sure how many 150 races there were.

150cc was 7 races plus a final but every heat had one rider doing 2 on the trot, it was bound to be a bit drawn out.

Could they not have had these 150cc races between heats of the Raiders v Kings Lynn match to avoid delays?

Sounds like some of our single meetings at Stoke in the past.

One in particular, on the Sunday after the GP in 2011 (I think) when we waited two hours in blistering heat just for the paramedic to arrive before we had a stop start meeting. The bar ran out of everything!

At least you had some racing to watch.

I also seem to remember an epic from Monmore in the 80s, the four team tournament finals I think. That seemed to last for ever.

I'm pretty sure the 'Simon Wigg Memorial' meeting at Peterborough also went on forever and in the end some races weren't run but that's all I can remember. We left before the end.

In 1979 Sheffield staged 3 full 16 heat 4TT's on the same day - 8 teams, 2 semi finals and the final. I can't remember what time it started but it was still daylight at the end. No doubt some folk on here were there!

For a single meeting duration, the recent World U21 round at Kings Lynn must up there with the longest meeting. Early start for SKY on a Saturday and didn't finish till 11.45pm.