British Speedway Forum
steve19620

Kings Lynn - Stars Of Tomorrow Trophy 19 September 1965

Hi there.

Does anybody have any information regarding this meeting ?

There is no mention of this meeting in the Speedway Star or British Speedway Handbook that covered the 1965 season.

A programme was produced for this meeting (with a cover picture of Ove Fundin) and was advertised as a Grand Practice meeting, but I don't have no heat details or who actually rode in the meeting.

All I know that "Smith" won the meeting ! The only Smith I know that was riding at this time would be Pete Smith (Poole) or possibly Alan Smith ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Steve

Hi there.

Does anybody have any information regarding this meeting ?

There is no mention of this meeting in the Speedway Star or British Speedway Handbook that covered the 1965 season.

A programme was produced for this meeting (with a cover picture of Ove Fundin) and was advertised as a Grand Practice meeting, but I don't have no heat details or who actually rode in the meeting.

All I know that "Smith" won the meeting ! The only Smith I know that was riding at this time would be Pete Smith (Poole) or possibly Alan Smith ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Steve

I have a programme for the meeting, unfortunately without the results inserted. There were four blank spaces in the programme, with the other riders being Barry Hammond, Mike Dumont, Mike Stevenitt, Ray Cousins, Roger Hill, Don Smith, Harry Denton, John Ballard, Alan Stapleton, Ian Champion, Peter Southarn and Dennis Mannion. The blank spaces in the programme were intended to be filled by novices from Belle Vue.

Roger Hill went on to ride for Coventry for several years, Don Smith appeared for West Ham in 1966 and 1967, Alan Stapleton rode for Swindon and Wimbledon, Ian Champion appeared for Long Eaton, Reading and Rayleigh, Dennis Mannion appeared mainly for Rayleigh and Ray Cousins appeared at Rye House in 1965 and 1966, with a couple of later appearances in BL2 for Crewe and Workington. I am not sure how veteran Australian sidecar racer Harry Denton qualified for a 'Stars of Tomorrow' meeting, although he did appear racing sidecars at King's Lynn that year. According to the programme notes for the meeting the following week Gil Farmer also rode and won three races. The programme for 25th September also makes reference to an unprogrammed match race in which Olle Nygren beat David Crane and that presumably took place after the Stars of Tomorrow event, which Olle attended. Discussions apparently took place on 19th September regarding the possibility of Nygren running winter training schools at King's Lynn.

Pete Smith of Poole rode in the Ace of Herts Trophy at Rye House on 19th September 1965.

Edited by BL65

Thanks for the info "BL65".

Your information certainly helps - based on this it looks like Don Smith won this meeting and not Pete as I thought !

Can anybody add any further information on this meeting such as the full lineup of riders, heat results, times, etc ?.

Any help in filling the blanks would be very useful indeed.

Steve

I have a programme for the meeting, unfortunately without the results inserted. There were four blank spaces in the programme, with the other riders being Barry Hammond, Mike Dumont, Mike Stevenitt, Ray Cousins, Roger Hill, Don Smith, Harry Denton, John Ballard, Alan Stapleton, Ian Champion, Peter Southarn and Dennis Mannion. The blank spaces in the programme were intended to be filled by novices from Belle Vue.

Roger Hill went on to ride for Coventry for several years, Don Smith appeared for West Ham in 1966 and 1967, Alan Stapleton rode for Swindon and Wimbledon, Ian Champion appeared for Long Eaton, Reading and Rayleigh, Dennis Mannion appeared mainly for Rayleigh and Ray Cousins appeared at Rye House in 1965 and 1966, with a couple of later appearances in BL2 for Crewe and Workington. I am not sure how veteran Australian sidecar racer Harry Denton qualified for a 'Stars of Tomorrow' meeting, although he did appear racing sidecars at King's Lynn that year. According to the programme notes for the meeting the following week Gil Farmer also rode and won three races. The programme for 25th September also makes reference to an unprogrammed match race in which Olle Nygren beat David Crane and that presumably took place after the Stars of Tomorrow event, which Olle attended. Discussions apparently took place on 19th September regarding the possibility of Nygren running winter training schools at King's Lynn.

Pete Smith of Poole rode in the Ace of Herts Trophy at Rye House on 19th September 1965.

Wasn't Ray Cousins the "last of the leg-trailers"? I seem to remember seeing him in a second half at New Cross some time in the early 60's.

I have the programme in my collection but the results are unfortunately incomplete.

As mentioned the Smith was Don Smith.

The gaps in the rider line-up were filled (according to my programme) by:

No 4. N Slee

No 8. T White

No 11. C Clarke

No 16. M Farmer

Only have results for the first 6 heats (and part of heat 7). Wonder if the meeting was then abandoned and Smith declared the winner as he was unbeaten and had the fastest winning times?

Heat 1: Dumont, Slee, Stevenitt, Hammond - 86.0

Heat 2: Smith, Hill, Cousins, White - 83.4

Heat 3: Denton, Stapleton, Ballard, Clarke - 86.4

Heat 4: Mannion, Champion, Southern, Farmer - 85.2

Heat 5: Cousins, Denton, Hammond, Champion - 84.2

Heat 6: Hill, Southern, Ballard, Dumont - 84.2

Heat 7: Smith (Results stop here. Clarke fell so was last, Mannion and Stevenitt also in race but nothing to indicate who came 2nd & 3rd) - 81.4

Hope that helps!

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Speedball

Slowly completing the puzzle ! Does anybody have the results from heat 7 ?

Cheers

Steve