British Speedway Forum
Dandelion

Newcastle 2017

Whys Robert free ?

Can we build a team around 1 Robert 5 steve with Ashley at 6 and a 3 pointer .................

Mind you probably will have to be Robert or Steve ............

The 40 point limit is going to make it very difficult for CL teams to put sides together. 4-5 point riders will be like goldust and I think there'll be plenty of heat leaders struggling for team places.

Possible line-ups:

Lambert - 8.76 (or Worrall 8.51)

Lindgren - 7.65

Rose - 5.86

Heeps - 5.07

Morris - 4.83

Branford - 4.60

AN Other - 3.00

= 39.77

Or another approach

Lindgren - 7.65

Kus - 7.55

Bach - 7.32

Rose - 5.86

Morris - 4.83

Branford - 4.60

Phillips - 2.00

= 39.81

Neither team looks strong but get used to it. Much weaker line-ups next season for everyone.

Edited by NJC71

40 point team limits...

1. Steve Worrall 8.51

2. Lewis Rose 5.86

3. Kyle Newman 6.31

4. Ashley Morris 4.83

5. Ludvig Lindgren 7.65

6. Liam Carr 4.81/Simon Nielsen 4.66

7. Connor Mountain 2.00 (If Mountain isn't eligible for 2 then maybe Greaves, Perks or Phillips instead, I don't quite understand this rule yet)

Total 39.97/39.82

Very British too :) If that's what everyone is obsessing over, although I feel like fan levels will drop if big names disappear, so there won't be much of British speedway left, I'd rather see foreign big names than no British speedway at all, but maybe I'm just in a bad mood tonight :P Probably

Maybe move Ludvig to 4, Newman to 5, Rose to 3 and Morris to 2?

Edited by Dandelion

40 points is a total joke - completely weakening the league

premier league or should I say the joke championship league is down to 10 teams ......... 70 riders rather 91 last year

a lot of riders are now in serious trouble ...... especially with the 2.5 reduction

• Like 2

A lot of foreign riders will be going back to their countries is the idea, whether that actually happens or not... I think this has just put the sport so far back

Maybe Lakeside should join the PL? Championship thing? If they can run of course :P Make it a nice round 12 teams

Edited by Dandelion

A lot of foreign riders will be going back to their countries is the idea, whether that actually happens or not... I think this has just put the sport so far back

Maybe Lakeside should join the PL? Championship thing? If they can run of course :P Make it a nice round 12 teams

Is Maths not your strong point? Or is someone else joining as well? Berwick, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Ipswich, Newcastle, Peterborough, Redcar, Scunthorpe, Sheffield, Workington. 10 teams

premier league or should I say the joke championship league is down to 10 teams ......... 70 riders rather 91 last year

a lot of riders are now in serious trouble ...... especially with the 2.5 reduction

Something had to be done. Berwick, Plymouth & Wirkington all had big financial problems last season and that's just the three we know about. Can't just ignore that so the obvious way to reduce costs it to lower the points limit. As ever clubs need to be sensible for this to work. My worry would be the clamour for 4-5 point riders and the best 3 pointers. If those riders start demanding/getting offered stupid money then we're no further forward. I also worry that there aren't enough 3 pointers around, particularly in the north so we get the situation we had last season with teams selecting riders who clearly aren't good enough simply because there are no other options.

• Like 2

Totally agree with you, the points reduction is bad, and a ten team league is a joke. It leaves you with 9 home league meetings, in what - about 27 weeks approximately of the speedway season. The mainstay of any sport is the league system, it is a measure of a teams progress. The fans like to see different teams and riders, not repeat after repeat by the same teams.

Speedway is dying, it's a self inflicted slow stangulation. After nearly 50 years I'm beginning to question my will to carry on supporting speedway - only the comradeship of my pals have kept me going recently.

"The Mackem"

• Like 1

Totally agree with you, the points reduction is bad, and a ten team league is a joke. It leaves you with 9 home league meetings, in what - about 27 weeks approximately of the speedway season. The mainstay of any sport is the league system, it is a measure of a teams progress. The fans like to see different teams and riders, not repeat after repeat by the same teams.

Speedway is dying, it's a self inflicted slow stangulation. After nearly 50 years I'm beginning to question my will to carry on supporting speedway - only the comradeship of my pals have kept me going recently.

"The Mackem"

2 home and 2 away my friend, 18 home meetings and 18 away , plus your cups etc. This is an affective increase in meetings over the present situation.

• Like 1

2 home and 2 away my friend, 18 home meetings and 18 away , plus your cups etc. This is an affective increase in meetings over the present situation.

Sorry if I've misread the statement my friend!

It's going to be the top riders in the league who are going to lose out. Kennet, Cook, King etc will struggle to get a place in a 40 point team as very few promoters will want to go with 3 or four very low averaged riders to compensate. Kus and Lindgren will be nailed on as George will use his own assets. As last year our biggest problem will be the bottom end. Being a Sunday track we compete with many conference league teams and riders are reluctant to give up those places as that is their bread and butter. Lewis Rose and Ashley Morris would fit well into the new limit but will no doubt have many many offers. George will have a plan. Could be the first time the CLRC has a 7.00 average!

Something had to be done. Berwick, Plymouth & Wirkington all had big financial problems last season and that's just the three we know about. Can't just ignore that so the obvious way to reduce costs it to lower the points limit. As ever clubs need to be sensible for this to work. My worry would be the clamour for 4-5 point riders and the best 3 pointers. If those riders start demanding/getting offered stupid money then we're no further forward. I also worry that there aren't enough 3 pointers around, particularly in the north so we get the situation we had last season with teams selecting riders who clearly aren't good enough simply because there are no other options.

How does reducing the points limit cut costs? You still have to pay for 90 points per meeting irrespective of whether you build to a 40 point limit or 50 point limit.

• Like 1

How does reducing the points limit cut costs? You still have to pay for 90 points per meeting irrespective of whether you build to a 40 point limit or 50 point limit.

It will only cut costs if the riders who are in demand to complete teams dont hold the promoters to ransom for their services

so I cant see it cutting costs either, unless all the promoters stick together

As regards fixtures...against the background of wanting to get my paws on 2017 season tickets as soon as possible, do I'm trying not to be negative ...would it be possible to avoid, say, three matches against Workington in the first few weeks of the season? This year's fixture list started off very repetitively!

Given the narrowing of the gap between the top leagues, a challenge match against one of the "top" teams would be good (but I assume it would be too pricey - ?)

I'm still thinking about building a team to a 40 point limit - what's Danny's CMA?