British Speedway Forum
Dandelion

Newcastle 2017

Dandelion wrote:

"i think we focus too much on bringing on youth riders to help team GB and don't focus enough on making entertaining league racing so that clubs can survive and make profits... Just my opinion of course"

Mine as well, Danders me old pal. But I think you'll find that bringing on British talent is a cloak for cutting costs...

Tut, Tut!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

We've almost got that this year (with the exception of Ipswich in our League and Belle Vue in the Premiership). We are more likely heading towards one league (not next year necessarily, but certainly in a few years time) , but a 'watered down' version to the one we had in 1995 & 1996. If it means bringing on the youngsters to help Team GB and British speedway in general, then it's the only option in my opinion.

I'm sure George said that we did not have enough riders for 1 big league at the announcement meeting, might have been wrong.
  • Like 1

I'm sure George said that we did not have enough riders for 1 big league at the announcement meeting, might have been wrong.

As mentioned earlier, the "one league" will be a watered down version, and you will have plenty of riders if you set the points limit lower, I see a limit of 37-38 with maybe a maximum total for bottom 3 riders of 9-10

This will forced many teams to have new riders at bottom end, will it dilute the product - yes in terms of standard, but not necessarily in terms of entertainment. I can also see a new race format again to have these riders against each other more often.

This would reduce costs - hopefully, bring on younger GB talent - hopefully, reduce double up and rider availability issues - definitely!

The top riders will be upset as it cuts their earning potential, but those who are good enough need to get teams elsewhere and become the top professionals they claim to be. Don't want to upset Diamonds (Scunthorpe/P'bro/Glasgow) fans but maybe we need to give up Sunday racedays, to allow riders to go to Poland and ride over there aswell!I

Sadly Poland is dictating terms across the board and Swedish, Danish and GB leagues are all suffering. Primarily in GB it is the Premier league, but down in the Championship we are getting the backlash, and lets be honest the teams the Premier league are fielding are only just above championship standard!

Edited by Mad Max

Announced at redcar last night first Newcastle match is week on Sunday 3rd sept.

Perks is away so rr for him

In a Utopian World you would be right - but - sadly this is not Utopia.................... :sad: :sad: :sad:

But we're not helping it, I know it'd cost a lot of money to have big riders, but we could still make steps towards having them, like not limiting the teams to 40...

Don't want to burst your bubble Dandelion but Richie will be a shoe in on a return north of the border next season as long as he wants it.

Plenty of choice to partner Steve, or maybe Steve might fancy riding with his twin brother further north now there's a thought ;) .

I know, but I can live in hope until Glasgow announce him!!

NOOO!!! Don't even joke about that :sad::nono::P

Dandelion wrote:

"i think we focus too much on bringing on youth riders to help team GB and don't focus enough on making entertaining league racing so that clubs can survive and make profits... Just my opinion of course"

Mine as well, Danders me old pal. But I think you'll find that bringing on British talent is a cloak for cutting costs...

Yep, I think so too...

Announced at redcar last night first Newcastle match is week on Sunday 3rd sept.

Perks is away so rr for him

Thank god Perks is missing, gives us an advantage!!

How about 3 out of these 4 in Diamonds kevlars next season?

https://www.speedwaygb.co/news.php?extend.33086 (courtesy of Youtube/Rye House)

Nicholls and Robson, yes please

Edited by Dandelion

Dandelion wrote:

Not true. Essential to have reserved places to accelerate the number of youngsters coming into the sport and to reduce foreign riders and reduce the D/Uing. If the current level of D/Uing continues, most critics would be saying we should be encouraging the kids, which we are. Can't win can you. :o

I have only been going speedway since 2000 but family have been long before and I never understood this idea developing youngsters is new. I got programme from my dad going back decades which suggest that is not the case some absolute dross seems rode back then. However strong core of British riders was important and still is its big reason for current problems, and league not taking themselves seriously with daft rules. Also putting up points limit sounds good, but it means more doubling up which fans also want rid of cant have both. I don't like it but reality is likes of Robert, Worrall twins, Cook, Bomber and many others miss meetings or don't ride in this league at all it needs decided in winter which is more important.

Edited by Big Diamond

I have only been going speedway since 2000 but family have been long before and I never understood this idea developing youngsters is new. I got programme from my dad going back decades which suggest that is not the case some absolute dross seems rode back then. However strong core of British riders was important and still is its big reason for current problems, and league not taking themselves seriously with daft rules. Also putting up points limit sounds good, but it means more doubling up which fans also want rid of cant have both. I don't like it but reality is likes of Robert, Worrall twins, Cook, Bomber and many others miss meetings or don't ride in this league at all it needs decided in winter which is more important.

It's not. In the early 00's there was the Conference League which was well as bringing in new riders, also reshuffled 'old hands' riders. The stream of young riders started to slow, and there was a reduction of CL teams. With the introduction of the British Youth Championships rounds, this is bringing in youngsters under 16 who have got a lot of racing behind them at different cc levels ending with the 500cc class. Unfortunately the poor foreigners were still being preferred for team places, so ideas like the Draft Riders initiative was introduced, so every team needed to have minimum requirement of youngsters who obviously the displaced the poor foreigner. The BYC has come on leaps and bounds and just last week at Belle Vue round 6 had the greatest number of riders in track than any other round before. The kids riding that day started at about 10 up to 16, and obviously the younger ones will need to progress through the cc classes until at 16 they are competative riding on a 500 in real races. It takes a number of years to get to say a second string position and many will not make it, but at least it is better than not tackling the problem and be at the mercy of other countries for their poor riders.

It may be cheaper to employ a couple of kids, but don't let people tell you that that is the main reason for giving them protected team spots. It is NOT.

Essential to have reserved places to accelerate the number of youngsters coming into the sport and to reduce foreign riders and reduce the D/Uing. If the current level of D/Uing continues, most critics would be saying we should be encouraging the kids, which we are. Can't win can you. :o

Fair points as ever - but I don't agree!

It's not. In the early 00's there was the Conference League which was well as bringing in new riders, also reshuffled 'old hands' riders. The stream of young riders started to slow, and there was a reduction of CL teams. With the introduction of the British Youth Championships rounds, this is bringing in youngsters under 16 who have got a lot of racing behind them at different cc levels ending with the 500cc class. Unfortunately the poor foreigners were still being preferred for team places, so ideas like the Draft Riders initiative was introduced, so every team needed to have minimum requirement of youngsters who obviously the displaced the poor foreigner. The BYC has come on leaps and bounds and just last week at Belle Vue round 6 had the greatest number of riders in track than any other round before. The kids riding that day started at about 10 up to 16, and obviously the younger ones will need to progress through the cc classes until at 16 they are competative riding on a 500 in real races. It takes a number of years to get to say a second string position and many will not make it, but at least it is better than not tackling the problem and be at the mercy of other countries for their poor riders.

It may be cheaper to employ a couple of kids, but don't let people tell you that that is the main reason for giving them protected team spots. It is NOT.

I agree always support youngsters its the last thing I want to see changed of all the current rules. Plus our promotion have done their bit some good riders who used be 3.00 pointers for the Diamonds.

• Like 1

I agree always support youngsters its the last thing I want to see changed of all the current rules. Plus our promotion have done their bit some good riders who used be 3.00 pointers for the Diamonds.

Yes, but supporting youngsters need not equal having wobbling reserves. Sorry, but my view remains that second halfers are being passed off as professional speedway riders in the interests of enconomy.

Yes, but supporting youngsters need not equal having wobbling reserves. Sorry, but my view remains that second halfers are being passed off as professional speedway riders in the interests of enconomy.

Yes they are but as I questioned before hasn't that always been the case seen programme cards and footage of riders bend behind that cant buy a point in 70s and 80s.

The first priority should be removing daft rules like tactical and select sides every week if not improving standard or points limit would achieve nothing long term.

Congratulations to Robert Lambert on becoming the new European Under-21 Champion this afternoon.

• Like 1

Congratulations to Robert Lambert on becoming the new European Under-21 Champion this afternoon.

GETTIN!!! :t:

Great News. :party: :party: :party:

Cheers screm. :t: