British Speedway Forum
Dandelion

Newcastle 2017

What a sensible post Dave.

Don't encourage him, man!!! :P:D:lol:

Robert, Richie and Richard weren't injured but, so the comparison is mischievous. I knew on Thursday that Steve had damaged his wrists, hence the reason Ludde being the next scorer was drafted into heat 15, and could be doubtful. As others have said. if he had ridden on Sunday night and then pulled out, his rides would all have been taken by Ben and Dan. No chance of getting within 4 points then. At least we gave then a fright until the heat 9 1-5.

Exactly. What a shame that the Newcastle promotion (including their representative on this forum Tsunami) forgot to share this with their supporters until they arrived on Sunday night. Only members of this forum were aware that he was in doubt. Anyone looking at the clubs website and twitter would have had no idea. The clubs promotion have done a great job keeping speedway at Newcastle but the public relations is abysmal

Exactly. What a shame that the Newcastle promotion (including their representative on this forum Tsunami) forgot to share this with their supporters until they arrived on Sunday night. Only members of this forum were aware that he was in doubt. Anyone looking at the clubs website and twitter would have had no idea. The clubs promotion have done a great job keeping speedway at Newcastle but the public relations is abysmal

wouldn't have taken much even to say, 'that he may have been a doubt', but that might have put hundreds off going.

• Like 1

Robert, Richie and Richard weren't injured but, so the comparison is mischievous. I knew on Thursday that Steve had damaged his wrists, hence the reason Ludde being the next scorer was drafted into heat 15, and could be doubtful. As others have said. if he had ridden on Sunday night and then pulled out, his rides would all have been taken by Ben and Dan. No chance of getting within 4 points then. At least we gave then a fright until the heat 9 1-5.

May be slightly mischievous bringing Glasgow riders into comparison, but I was responding to a question "..but how many fans would actually begrudge him a chance of the British Final, and allow him to have a nights rest first ?" , well unless he was not able to ride competitively, then I begrudge him having "a nights rest" and the comparison to Lambert applies, I would begrudge him a night off to prepare for individual meeting!

If we want to go down the hypothetical route - yes I agree if he had ridden and pulled out early we may have got a more severe beating, but as we gained zero league points anyway it would have made no difference (other than allowing Glasgow an extra point). HOWEVER if he had ridden and scored to his average, which most would expect him to do, and even moreso having watched his performance on Monday, we would have won! - 3 league points, none to Glasgow. To me that is a satisfactory outcome, if you and others are happy to give away teams a fright up to heat 9, before getting beat, fair enough - our opinions on that will have to differ!

• Like 1

Could some of it been down to the difference in the tracks?

haven't been to Newcy for decades but I assume it is tight and maybe not billiard table smooth? So puts more strain on the arms/wrists to get round the bends.

BV is wide open spaces and presumably easier to ride with less strain on the arms/wrists?

Just my suggestion.

• Like 1

I represent ME, nobody else, right. Snide comments doesn't do you much good. I have never talked to either George or Alan about this forum.

It you care to reread what I said about Steve that he had injured his wrists, it does not say he could, would, or might be missing any meeting. It you had been at Redcar on Thursday you would have known that his bike lifted coming out of the second bend and he struggled to get it down safely. It was all arm and wrists, and when he dragged the bike off the track, he sat on his hunkers looking in pain or winded. i was told after the meeting he had hurt his wrists, which could have been expected.

I believe it was left to Steve and his medical advice, if he was going to be riding or resting on Sunday.

haven't been to Newcy for decades but I assume it is tight and maybe not billiard table smooth? So puts more strain on the arms/wrists to get round the bends.

BV is wide open spaces and presumably easier to ride with less strain on the arms/wrists?

Just my suggestion.

that would be an interesting scenario for the future -

sorry boss my bad foot means I can't ride at XXXX (where I am usually crap) so use r/r, but the following night at YYYY (where I love) it will be ok and the night after at ZZZZ (where everyone hates - Exeter in days gone by) sorry too painful ;)

I represent ME, nobody else, right. Snide comments doesn't do you much good. I have never talked to either George or Alan about this forum.

It you care to reread what I said about Steve that he had injured his wrists, it does not say he could, would, or might be missing any meeting. It you had been at Redcar on Thursday you would have known that his bike lifted coming out of the second bend and he struggled to get it down safely. It was all arm and wrists, and when he dragged the bike off the track, he sat on his hunkers looking in pain or winded. i was told after the meeting he had hurt his wrists, which could have been expected.

I believe it was left to Steve and his medical advice, if he was going to be riding or resting on Sunday.

Not a good choice of words - I assume you mean left to Steve and medical advice , if he was fit enough to ride on Sunday !

Edited by northyorksbear
  • Like 2

Just my suggestion.

You are right that the tracks are entirely different. The bends are tight, like the Kirky Road track, but unlike long standing stupid rumours, the track is relatively smooth and has been for years.

It is produced with dirt on, and that gives it drive and having to lock up tight to turn and return up the straights. The new BV looks relatively easy to ride with wider track and many different racing lines. Higher gearing for speed at BV and a smoother ride, as opposed to lower gearing with a more responsive engine.

that would be an interesting scenario for the future -

sorry boss my bad foot means I can't ride at XXXX (where I am usually crap) so use r/r, but the following night at YYYY (where I love) it will be ok and the night after at ZZZZ (where everyone hates - Exeter in days gone by) sorry too painful ;)

Not a good choice of words - I assume you mean left to Steve and medical advice , if he was fit enough to ride on Sunday !

Not really. Resting an injury is part of a recover process for any athlete/sportsman.

OK - genuine questions, not trying to have at go at anyone, or stir things up.

Scaphoid injuries -

Worrall has confirmed his scaphoid is broken, in all my (long) memories of speedway I always heard of riders being out for a lengthy period with a scaphoid break - Are there differing degrees of severity of break? To me a break is a break!

Others have suggested scaphoid breaks can cause complications (blood flow being mentioned) anyone know what repercussions of not letting a scaphoid break heal properly are?

Are there any other effects of a scaphoid break - ie weakness in that wrist, or constant pain, or ad hoc pain?

and the night after at ZZZZ (where everyone hates - Exeter in days gone by) ;)

Amazing how many cars broken down on way to Exeter :t:

• Like 2

It you care to reread what I said about Steve that he had injured his wrists, it does not say he could, would, or might be missing any meeting.

You did say he could be doubtful, which is saying he "might be missing a meeting"

well it is a long way ;)

Sheffield and the IOW used to be considered a long way as well. :D

Its a habit nowadays not to announce a " missing rider" you can bet that if you hear nothing about a rider being " doubtful " he won't be riding,poor from the Promotions concerned IMO.
  • Like 1