British Speedway Forum
Dandelion

Newcastle 2017

Exactly. What a shame that the Newcastle promotion (including their representative on this forum Tsunami) forgot to share this with their supporters until they arrived on Sunday night. Only members of this forum were aware that he was in doubt. Anyone looking at the clubs website and twitter would have had no idea. The clubs promotion have done a great job keeping speedway at Newcastle but the public relations is abysmal

It was on the club website sunday morning, and it was also in the Sunday Sun that Steve wouldn't be riding that evening. So to say the club didn't make it known until people turned up sunday night is unfair.

• Like 1

that would be an interesting scenario for the future -

sorry boss my bad foot means I can't ride at XXXX (where I am usually crap) so use r/r, but the following night at YYYY (where I love) it will be ok and the night after at ZZZZ (where everyone hates - Exeter in days gone by) sorry too painful ;)

I think you are being a little unfair on Steve Worrall. The British Final is probably his biggest meeting of the year and I am sure that he would do whatever he could to ride, including riding in pain. It doesn't mean he is fit enough to do it two or three nights in a row. I seem to remember Peter Collins riding in the World Final with a broken leg. If I remember correctly, he didn't ride in any subsequent Belle Vue match that season.

I think you are being a little unfair on Steve Worrall. The British Final is probably his biggest meeting of the year and I am sure that he would do whatever he could to ride, including riding in pain. It doesn't mean he is fit enough to do it two or three nights in a row. I seem to remember Peter Collins riding in the World Final with a broken leg. If I remember correctly, he didn't ride in any subsequent Belle Vue match that season.

Where did I once mention Steve Worrall ???

If you would like to read the post again a- it states scenario for the future and b- in my fictitious example I was using an unnamed rider who had a bad foot !

Looks like my poor attempt to lighten the thread has clearly missed the mark with yourself!

However I would add that having not been fit enough to ride the night before the British Final , he is apparently fit enough to ride Monday, Wednesday, Friday and twice on Sunday - any comparison with Collins back in 1977 is way, way off the mark

Edited by northyorksbear

Those who watched the whole of the British Final on television may have been mightily impressed with Steve's "pain management". Not once did I spot him in any form of obvious discomfort, or flinching and perhaps this is a huge advert for whatever form of medication he was taking to allow him to compete so well.

I concede however that tv coverage does not capture everything and perhaps those who actually attended the event may have a different take on this.

Anyway, he did put up a marvellous show and I certainly do not begrudge him an ounce of success however one might feel about his absences from Belle Vue and Newcastle team meetings

• Like 1

What did you want to see, Steve sitting in a corner crying?

Edited by tyretrax

What did you want to see, Steve sitting in a corner crying?

To be fair I was expecting to see a wrist strapped, or even ice applied between races, however I have no expert knowledge of scaphoid injuries, so I don't know what pain/discomfort is experienced!

However I would add that having not been fit enough to ride the night before the British Final , he is apparently fit enough to ride Monday, Wednesday, Friday and twice on Sunday

People do recover as time goes by.. A lad where I work was off ill on Sunday but worked Monday, worked today, is due in on Friday and is doing a double shift on Sunday.
  • Like 1

Bottom line Steve did not feel fit enough to ride the bike on Sunday,if he had rode and pulled out the same people would still be moaning about him.Cost him money not riding.

• Like 1

Bottom line Steve did not feel fit enough to ride the bike on Sunday,if he had rode and pulled out the same people would still be moaning about him.Cost him money not riding.

Spot on.. It was only 2 weeks ago Steve had a massive crash in Poland on the Saturday night and rung George to say he wouldn't be able to ride on the Sunday against Sheffield. He improved over night and changed his mind as he is dedicated to Newcastle Speedway.What if he had of tried on Sunday and broke down after half a lap and was out for a month or so?.. Maybe the extra 24 hours was all he needed .......

well no change in riders think we are resigned to having the team for rest of season

and trying to avoid the wooden spoon as we will be knocked out of the cup this weekend

and only league meetings left struggling to beat most teams at home and no more points away

Anyway.....

How long is Steve going to be out for? If it's going to be over a month, and he's not going to be our number 1 (if Robert is), instead of using R/R, can we wait until the 23rd (When the PL average's get updated) and bring in Max Fricke (with his new 7.25 average) on a 28 day contract to cover for Steve? Or does it not work like that? In my head, I believe that the rules are that the two top leagues share the averages? Like at the beginning of the year, correct me if I'm wrong and it would be Max's beginning of the season, 9.92 average that would have to be used... Thanks :)

I believe you are wrong.

But the conversion factor from PL to CL etc has not yet been announced (probably not even worked out yet).

Those who watched the whole of the British Final on television may have been mightily impressed with Steve's "pain management". Not once did I spot him in any form of obvious discomfort, or flinching and perhaps this is a huge advert for whatever form of medication he was taking to allow him to compete so well.

I concede however that tv coverage does not capture everything and perhaps those who actually attended the event may have a different take on this.

Anyway, he did put up a marvellous show and I certainly do not begrudge him an ounce of success however one might feel about his absences from Belle Vue and Newcastle team meetings

Never saw much of him but you can be sure he would have been sore the next day the adrenaline would see him through the meeting and maybe a few pain killers

I believe you are wrong.

But the conversion factor from PL to CL etc has not yet been announced (probably not even worked out yet).

Ah, I see, I just thought since the leagues both had the same average at the beginning of the year, that they would all year too, but I guess there'd be a few loopholes in that logic (but that wouldn't be out of place in speedway)

• Like 1

Anyway.....

How long is Steve going to be out for? If it's going to be over a month, and he's not going to be our number 1 (if Robert is), instead of using R/R, can we wait until the 23rd (When the PL average's get updated) and bring in Max Fricke (with his new 7.25 average) on a 28 day contract to cover for Steve? Or does it not work like that? In my head, I believe that the rules are that the two top leagues share the averages? Like at the beginning of the year, correct me if I'm wrong and it would be Max's beginning of the season, 9.92 average that would have to be used... Thanks :)

According to Twitter he's riding on Sunday....

https://twitter.com/diamondspeedway/status/877253204362350592