Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Dandelion

Newcastle 2017

Would it just be cheaper to hire someone to do the sheets/red flags and make the current volunteers and their 'mates' pay to get in? Just a suggestion, I mean, the people who do the sheets could do the red flags..... And they wouldn't want to bring other people in for free... It'd be an extra few hundred quid through the turnstiles... Of course if the current volunteers don't throw a mood and stop coming..... Because they have to pay like the rest of us who don't have time to help...

its a great idea, in theory and, it might be a few hundred quid thru the turnstiles. Which would go towards paying or hiring the squad that comes in. If the volunteers don't come and pay to get in, you still have to pay the other lot. Thats where there might be a problem, unless they get paid in 'free speedway', as that is the product.

If you work on a dairy farm, you can drink as much milk as you like ;)

• Like 1

:shock: :shock: :shock: Crumbs!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I hope you have got a tin hat. ;):)

I have foil???

its a great idea, in theory and, it might be a few hundred quid thru the turnstiles. Which would go towards paying or hiring the squad that comes in. If the volunteers don't come and pay to get in, you still have to pay the other lot. Thats where there might be a problem, unless they get paid in 'free speedway', as that is the product.

If you work on a dairy farm, you can drink as much milk as you like ;)

True... But if these people really did support the Diamonds, they'd come anyway... Even if they didn't get it for free...

I dont think I'd read that anywhere else apart from the Newcastle thread jesus

Don't group all of the Newcastle lot together just because one fan said something... I am not the voice of everyone from Newcastle :P

True... But if these people really did support the Diamonds, they'd come anyway... Even if they didn't get it for free...

yeah, a suppose some would when they felt like it.

There are more people at Newcastle who get in for free through the pits than actually pay at the turnstiles, I've never seen it like this anywhere else... And the only two tracks I haven't visited more than once in England/Sweden/Denmark are Kent and Poole

yeah, a suppose some would when they felt like it.

And that would be an extra bit of cash for the club... Speedway is a struggling sport with very little money... No 200 million pound men...

There are more people at Newcastle who get in for free through the pits than actually pay at the turnstiles, I've never seen it like this anywhere else... And the only two tracks I haven't visited more than once in England/Sweden/Denmark are Kent and Poole

And that would be an extra bit of cash for the club... Speedway is a struggling sport with very little money... No 200 million pound men...

That is a ridiculous statement to make. There are less 'free' people at the moment than ever before, but even previously your statement is way off the truth. There are people getting in free who should not be getting in, but it will always be a problem at any track.

• Like 1

Would it just be cheaper to hire someone to do the sheets/red flags and make the current volunteers and their 'mates' pay to get in? Just a suggestion.

maybe they could use people doing community service, or council tax evaders.

so at least their putting something back into society ;)

I have said this before, but at Sunderland Speedway we worked on the Track and paid our Entrance Fee in order to cut costs and keep our Speedway Team.

We still didn't do enough sadly.

• Like 1

I have said this before, but at Sunderland Speedway we worked on the Track and paid our Entrance Fee in order to cut costs and keep our Speedway Team.

We still didn't do enough sadly.

I just worried for my speedway team... I've already heard people say that the stadium is going to be bought out, and no more speedway, if the Diamonds don't have the money and aren't making a profit... What will the stadium owners do? I don't mean to disrespect anyone, or belittle the work that the track staff do, it's invaluable, but speedway is a struggling sport at the best of times...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_defunct_motorcycle_speedway_teams_in_the_United_Kingdom

How many of this list do you think are down to financial reasons... Probably most I would say

Edited by Dandelion

Hi Dandelion

Your topic about free admission refers: -

I was running the Diamond Geezers about 12 years ago. We formed as a Newcastle Speedway help group as Newcastle did not have a supporters club at that time. We did loads of work to help the cause. I personally spent a lot of my own money and countless hours of my time ringing/emailing and meeting people. We raised the money for the Brown Rd signs which you may have seen? The Diamond Geezers did not get and we were not offered free admission. It would have been great to have been offered free admission even though I would have declined it personally.

I have no problem with the workers getting in for free but why a friend too! Maybe the promoters can afford it but any sniff of closure the friend should be asked to pay to help the team keep going

• Like 1

Hi Dandelion

Your topic about free admission refers: -

I was running the Diamond Geezers about 12 years ago. We formed as a Newcastle Speedway help group as Newcastle did not have a supporters club at that time. We did loads of work to help the cause. I personally spent a lot of my own money and countless hours of my time ringing/emailing and meeting people. We raised the money for the Brown Rd signs which you may have seen? The Diamond Geezers did not get and we were not offered free admission. It would have been great to have been offered free admission even though I would have declined it personally.

I have no problem with the workers getting in for free but why a friend too! Maybe the promoters can afford it but any sniff of closure the friend should be asked to pay to help the team keep going

Hi dantodan

That is very interesting and it's great to see that you've done so much for the club, I have seen the brown road signs yes, and without them, Brough Park might not be the easiest place to find, so that's a great thing :t: I don't understand why yous would not be allowed free admission if others were allowed it, it sounds as if the Diamonds Geezers did a lot for the club. I try to scrape together as much money as possible every week to visit as many tracks as I can, to keep the 'speedway economy' going... And to procrastinate on my university work :P I wish I could put a bit more into the clubs I support...

I have no problem with them getting free admission either, but a free programme AND a free friend too... Maybe that's just too much, why doesn't this friend help also? Why do they need to get in for free too? It's all a big loss of money, which the club probably needs... I would agree, any sniff... And I don't know how true words are, but people on here have hinted... And I'd hate to lose Newcastle speedway...

• Like 1

Our hope that the brown road signs may just have brought a fair few locals back to paying for the speedway

Our hope that the brown road signs may just have brought a fair few locals back to paying for the speedway

Certainly helped me and my family on my first visit to Brough, we're always lost... Now it's only me and my girlfriend who come, my parents and siblings lost interest... Shame... They still go to their local track, Plymouth, every now and then, but never visit Newcastle when they're up here

Edited by Dandelion

I see Lambert is OK to ride for kings Lynn tonight.

I wonder if the (alleged) low rate of pay yesterday might have influenced him (and maybe some others) to decide it was better to rest than risk his injury?

• Like 1

I see Lambert is OK to ride for kings Lynn tonight.

I wonder if the (alleged) low rate of pay yesterday might have influenced him (and maybe some others) to decide it was better to rest than risk his injury?

Possibly, or maybe he just needed a days rest, only Robert will know... Is the King's Lynn - Somerset meeting on BT tonight? I hope Thomas H Jonasson and Kai Huckenbeck are riding, big fan of theirs...