British Speedway Forum
Dandelion

Newcastle 2017

I think there is a good chance that it will be 6 man teams next season. No idea what the combined average per team will be and whether they continue with an NL 3 pointer at number 6 and, say, a supplementary reserve at no.5 (or wherever in the team), remains to be seen. Very little appears to be coming out of the practice matches held at King's Lynn, so really, once again, we have no idea what's going on!

I heard the 6 man suggestion had been binned.

• Like 2

I heard the 6 man suggestion had been binned.

Marvelous, so we are going to have exactly the same problems as we had this year!

At what point does the limit on riders doubling up come in?? I can't remember when the rule on how many seasons a rider could do was brought in, but there again it will probably be dropped/forgotten about as EL needs all the riders they can get and many of the top double uppers won't risk just having an EL team!!

• Like 3

Marvelous, so we are going to have exactly the same problems as we had this year!

Were there not big problems, the last time 6 man teams were tried

Edited by balderdash&piffle
  • Like 2

Were there not big problems, the last time 6 man teams were tried

Like?

Like?

Last 3 heats were nominations from scores, and with injuries, you had some riders in more than once.

It has to be hoped that the PL isn't affected by the (very necessary) changes the EL decide to make this winter.

That said, no club, in any league, can start to plan teams for 2017 until they know the structures of their designated competition, the points limits and (as hinted) the number of riders in their teams.

No point in anybody making 2017 plans until the league structures are known.

Hope the EL won't force too much change upon PL, but.......

Hope not - they are a shambles as regards fixtures, promotion, money, cheating etc etc. A bit worrying...........

...and hopefully they don't go down the lines of not awarding points to the winning team or whatever it was. Artificially creating close scores is utter madness.

• Like 1

Hope not - they are a shambles as regards fixtures, promotion, money, cheating etc etc. A bit worrying...........

...and hopefully they don't go down the lines of not awarding points to the winning team or whatever it was. Artificially creating close scores is utter madness.

don't look TWK!!

• Like 1

It has to be hoped that the PL isn't affected by the (very necessary) changes the EL decide to make this winter.

That said, no club, in any league, can start to plan teams for 2017 until they know the structures of their designated competition, the points limits and (as hinted) the number of riders in their teams.

I know but it's fun to have a guess :)

I like what they do in Sweden when they award a point to the team who's won over an aggregate score for the home and away league meeting if that makes sense, it encourages teams to keep riding to the end to get as many points as possible rather than relaxing once they pull clear of the other team during a meeting

Say Newcastle beat Redcar 50-40 at home, but then only got beat 49-41 at Redcar, Newcastle would get an extra league point because they have a better aggregate score over the two meetings, even though it's not a 2 legged event, it just makes every meeting much more competitive, and makes harder away meetings much more interesting because a team could still get a point if they get beaten by 15 as long as they beat that team at home by more than 15, I'm starting to confuse myself, I hope everyone understands :)

• Like 1

I know but it's fun to have a guess :)

I like what they do in Sweden when they award a point to the team who's won over an aggregate score for the home and away league meeting if that makes sense, it encourages teams to keep riding to the end to get as many points as possible rather than relaxing once they pull clear of the other team during a meeting

Say Newcastle beat Redcar 50-40 at home, but then only got beat 49-41 at Redcar, Newcastle would get an extra league point because they have a better aggregate score over the two meetings, even though it's not a 2 legged event, it just makes every meeting much more competitive, and makes harder away meetings much more interesting because a team could still get a point if they get beaten by 15 as long as they beat that team at home by more than 15, I'm starting to confuse myself, I hope everyone understands :)

We had that a few years ago, but was ditched for the current system (except it was 2 pts for a home win of 6 or less)

• Like 1

We had that a few years ago, but was ditched for the current system (except it was 2 pts for a home win of 6 or less)

Yes, and the present graduated points system works very well. It was brought in because at the time both Exeter and Sheffield had such massive home advantages, and they nearly always won on aggregate, and in fact I think both won the PL title due only to the aggregate score points.

• Like 1

Pretty sure Exeter won it in 2000 without winning a single away match, they just crushed everyone at home. All seven were averaging at least 7 points a meeting.

That said, I used to love my trips down to the old country ground. Seeing Wato in full flight there was a joy to watch, and seeing Anders win his first race ever there against Colesy of all riders.

• Like 2

ok then I see that point :P Seems like a good idea from one side, but a bad idea from the other side that I didn't think of

I think the 'new' scoring system is one of speedway's best innovations, just wish they'd left it alone so that home teams have to win by more than six to collect all three points.

• Like 3