British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Shale Searcher

Belle Vue V Poole, 12/9/16 Rear Wheels Spinning At Tapes

Watched this meeting last night, thought it was an excellent advert for the Elite League.... However, when riders are under starters orders (green light on) they have to sit still, but last night I noticed that particularly Rohan Tungate manages to have his rear wheel spinning before the tapes went up, surely this gives him a distinct advantage when the tapes do rise....?

Should this be allowed? I have seen this practice before, but not to this extent and frequency...

Thoughts please from the good people of the British Speedway Forum..

The spinning of the rear wheel is not allowed. The bike has to be stationary and the rear wheel in contact with the track surface. A spinning wheel would cause motion if in contact with surface.

The spinning of the rear wheel is not allowed. The bike has to be stationary and the rear wheel in contact with the track surface. A spinning wheel would cause motion if in contact with surface.

Not if the bike is slightly leaned to one side- Chris Neath if I remember right was a master of it with a Edinburgh rider- who I can`t remember also expert at doing it and more importantly getting away with it !!!!

Not if the bike is slightly leaned to one side- Chris Neath if I remember right was a master of it with a Edinburgh rider- who I can`t remember also expert at doing it and more importantly getting away with it !!!!

Derek Sneddon was the Edinburgh rider I seem to recall.

So why do you think the ref did nothing about it last night......?

Didn't see it?

Saw it, chose to ignore it?

Didn't know about the rule?

Didn`t see it

I was not looking out for it ,but now that you mention it Tungate snaked of the start line in one race which I though was odd at the time the way it happened.

Derek used to regularly get pulled up for it. He used to get away with it in gates 1, 2, and 3, but the ref can see you better when you are in gate 4. The technical point was that the bike is not moving at the start, which was thought to be the salient point. But it was considered as cheating and seemed to have disappeared since Derek's retirement, till now with Tungate.

• Like 1

I noticed it whilst watching live and was surprised it was not clamped down on.

Ive seen it a few times from Rohan in his stint with the Witches along with a fair few opposing riders so dont think it is an isolated incident.

I seem to remember a claim that it was not the wheel spinning rather just the disc (cant remember from who).

Not sure if this us even feasible???

Someone was doing it in the GP's not too long ago, couple of years probably, could've been Bjerre, unsure but definitely remember it being picked up in commentary.

Perhaps it happens late on in the meetings when there's a fair old channel worn into the surface from earlier rides, this would drop the chassis of the bike closer to the ground.

Tungate did it all night, and I am sure I have seen it when he's guested recently elsewhere....

I thought it was classed as "moving" at the start.... And it's impossible to spin the disc and not rotate the rear wheel, but you can do the opposite, have the disc static, and wheel/tyre rotate....