British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Poole Sign Lindback

As I already stated earlier, the maths do suggest that 8 is not the correct average to bring a GP rider in on, and 7 is actually the more correct figure.

What we need is transparency from the BSPA to confirm or deny this.

7.5 would have been reasonable. Also aligns with his Swedish average. 7.5 would not allow him to fit though.

Note you argue tai has a false average. Would you say Bjarne s average was any less false? Former gp rider who has been a hl for all but last season, in on a 4. average? Which he has blown out of the water.

Personally I think it's a sensible rule, but maybe it will be thrown out or amended next year, after all the rule regarding the wearing of goggles was changed for this year..........could that possibly have had anything to do with circumstances in last years play off's ?

Still in 2016 regulations, 12.9 I think...

I would add that a rider with a current ekstraliga or elitseren average should come in on that. The EL heat format means that for a hl the standards are roughly comparable.

7.5 would have been reasonable. Also aligns with his Swedish average. 7.5 would not allow him to fit though.

Note you argue tai has a false average. Would you say Bjarne s average was any less false? Former gp rider who has been a hl for all but last season, in on a 4. average? Which he has blown out of the water.

Bjarne has blown it out of the water riding at reserve. He is badly exposed riding in the 1-5.

I didn't argue Tai had a false average. Tai is fair game in my opinion.

Bjarne was signed on 6.55 average, so has increased it by a, not so impressive, 0.35 in four months spent largely at reserve.

Still in 2016 regulations, 12.9 I think...

Correct, last year the rule just stated that goggles must be worn. This year the rule has been amended to say that their loss or removal during a race is not an offence.

There is no need for all these crazy complicated assessment methods people are suggesting. Just work out the average CMA of the top 8 riders in the previous Elite League season and agree that any GP rider joining the league starts on that average.

Edited by BurntFaceMan

Good signing for Poole and it's fair enough if Hans doesn't ride in the upcoming GPs whilst the playoffs are running but if he does then it's a bit of a farce really.

• Like 1

To be honest, if the only way we can tempt the big boys to ride in Britain is to sign them just for the play offs, then every team should be allowed to do it! Would make for much more exciting play offs!

It's time to stop pretending the EL is among the worlds best... we'd be lucky to have the top riders on our shores, if only for the play offs.

Good signing for Poole and it's fair enough if Hans doesn't ride in the upcoming GPs whilst the playoffs are running but if he does then it's a bit of a farce really.

Poole only have a 7 day window to make a signing. If Hans is unable to confirm when he will be able to ride again then Poole have no choice but to sign a new rider. A farce it is not.

I get why everyone is annoyed. Surprise surprise, the p1ss take Pirates have pulled another fast one. But really when you dig a little deeper... Poole did not want this. We didn't want our captain to get injured. It's not just Poole he isn't riding for, he pulled out of the SEC too. When you do the maths Antonio is actually a good fit.

I don't feel any malice towards the Wolves, who arguably got Tai on a bargain average (based on current form). That's just the name of the game. If you don't like it, then the rules need to be changed.

Unfortunately there will always be a team that makes a better fist of it than others, and Matt is 100% on the ball when it comes to the loopholes!

Edited by BurntFaceMan

Haven't we heard proposals for next year about each team having 2 No 1 riders in a squad system.

The way Woffinden and Lindback have been "bought in as required" is surely a fore runner of things to come.

I didn't argue Tai had a false average. Tai is fair game in my opinion.

Yeah sorry got you confused with another poster. My bad

Bjarne was signed on 6.55 average, so has increased it by a, not so impressive, 0.35 in four months spent largely at reserve.

I got that wrong too!

There is no need for all these crazy complicated assessment methods people are suggesting. Just work out the average CMA of the top 8 riders in the previous Elite League season and agree that any GP rider joining the league starts on that average.

Only issue I see with that is that not all gp riders are equal. If say smolinski got a wildcard or qualified,would it make sense that he comes in on the same as Hancock? Using Swedish or polish top flight average is about as simple as you can get. Perhaps allow a 10% reduction for someone riding in an u21 reserve berth in Poland.
  • Like 1

Only issue I see with that is that not all gp riders are equal. If say smolinski got a wildcard or qualified,would it make sense that he comes in on the same as Hancock? Using Swedish or polish top flight average is about as simple as you can get. Perhaps allow a 10% reduction for someone riding in an u21 reserve berth in Poland.

Hmm it's a tricky one. The Polish league is so much stronger than the Elite League. It's almost the difference between EL and NL!

Hmm it's a tricky one. The Polish league is so much stronger than the Elite League. It's almost the difference between EL and NL!

But if you look at the difference in averages between riders at hl in the EL and riding in Poland and it's only around 5%. Essentially a 5% incentive to attract quality riders

4, sha'l i count them all ??

I'd be very surprised if you can count that high :o

• Like 1