British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ace no.5

Lakeside Vs Belle Vue, 21/9/16...

Sky speedway have tweeted today that all 30 heats will be shown next monday.

Also tweeted that louis and king there to commentate with sophie in the pits, so looks like a change of mind about not showing all the meeting.

Let's get real. Sophie probably travels in the van with Scotty and maybe even Chris too. Add to that the fact that the manager of the away team will be commentating and you can see what a cobbled up job this is.

I'm still amazed at Kelvin's neutrality but now I can add to that the fact that Scotty doesn't look at Sophie when being interviewed. Fantastic TV :lol:

Oh the speedway -----------------

Let's get real. Sophie probably travels in the van with Scotty and maybe even Chris too. Add to that the fact that the manager of the away team will be commentating and you can see what a cobbled up job this is.

I'm still amazed at Kelvin's neutrality but now I can add to that the fact that Scotty doesn't look at Sophie when being interviewed. Fantastic TV :lol:

Oh the speedway -----------------

Not sure what this post is actually about?

• Like 3

An extra televised meeting and the revenue it brings in, is probably more important to lakeside than qualifying for the final. I get the impression they run a tight ship at arena and need to balance the books. I was at the meeting last night, and the tricky track conditions definitely hindered the home side. With Jonsson and a consistent surface the hammers might have nicked a narrow home win.

• Like 1

The blame lays firmly at Jon Cooks door.

At the fans forum in February, Kelvin said he wanted the track to be prepared the same way for every meeting, as far as the weather allows, at not to keep changing things, that's the way riders get used to a track and learn how to ride it with confidence. Jon Cook was sitting next to him when he said it. That's what has been done most of the season and we have seen some great racing this year. Then we get to the most meeting of the season, in front of a TV audience and the local MP , Kelvin is missing, Cook is in charge and we get that pile of sludge, because the tried and tested method that worked so well all season has not been followed. As a result we saw, for example Kennett and Bridger not being able to pull off those sweeps round the outside that have brought so many points this year.

I support Jon Cook on most things, most of the time but he is the man in charge, the buck stops with him, and he has fouled up big time.

Personally I am furious. I need the winter to calm down.....

Feel for you, but also it must have been gut wrenching for Kelvin based on the above, I must say that he did a throughly professional job commentating on TV under the circumstances. Having got the the play off's and then see your best efforts go down the pan through someone else's interference must be hard to take. To see it unfold before you and not be able to say anything or express other emotions must be, well, hard! Can understand him not making any immediate decisions regarding his future there.

Not sure what this post is actually about?

Sorry for not taking this minority sport as seriously as I'm supposed to but my emphasis on triviality surely fits the bill. It now appears that our track curator preferred Poole to his original track such was his judgement that his presence at Arena would not be worthwhile.

Sorry for causing confusion but the playoffs are an irrelevence and my club has shown that it was nothing more than an achievement to get there. BV won the league. I hope they win the Sky playoffs too.

PS Our impartial team manager will be at Monmer (sic) Green :t:

• Like 1

Sorry for not taking this minority sport as seriously as I'm supposed to but my emphasis on triviality surely fits the bill. It now appears that our track curator preferred Poole to his original track such was his judgement that his presence at Arena would not be worthwhile.

Sorry for causing confusion but the playoffs are an irrelevence and my club has shown that it was nothing more than an achievement to get there. BV won the league. I hope they win the Sky playoffs too.

PS Our impartial team manager will be at Monmer (sic) Green :t:

Don't know what the heck you are on about "jim3751" but you are totally and utterly wrong in your comment about where the track curator was on Wednesday.

Edited by Bryn

Don't know what the heck you are on about "jim3751" but you are totally and utterly wrong in your comment about where the track curator was on Wednesday.

Gerald was at Lakey, as you know.

] [/size]

A choice of t wo possibilities there. Either Gerald has a twin brother driving the tractor at Lakeside on Wedbesday, or else it was Gerald himself driving the tractor and you are telling porkies about him being at Poole.

Hmm.... Anybody ever seen or heard of Gerald having a twin brother? No, thought not. Caught out telling porkies it is then.

A choice of t wo possibilities there. Either Gerald has a twin brother driving the tractor at Lakeside on Wedbesday, or else it was Gerald himself driving the tractor and you are telling porkies about him being at Poole.

Hmm.... Anybody ever seen or heard of Gerald having a twin brother? No, thought not. Caught out telling porkies it is then.

As i said, Gerald was with you..

Easy as I thought it would be. Going into a playoff semi without a number one and expecting your other riders to cover was foolhardy at best, and stingy at worst. Short changed theplayoffs Imo.

No different toPoole getting a ringer in on a false average to cover the second heatleader role and he finishes up scoring less than r/r would have done.

I am amazed that after all the years you have followed Speedwáy you still haven't grasped that you can't just bring a Continental Johnny in and expect him to hit the ground running. Not only are track surfaces different to when Lindback last rode here but crucially- and this is the point that those with no mechanical knowledge can't grasp -the silencers are different.

If Linback, a GP rider and therefore amongst the best in the world can only manage 5 points from 5 rides on his home track what reason is there to believe that any Tom, Dick, or Bartosz would score any more than the six points R/R scored at Lakeside ?

Obviously a like for like replacement for AJ would be ideal but in reality there are only a tiny handful of riders that coukd do a serious job and none were available.

And still those who say a No 1 should have been brought in can't tell us who was available and prepared to come.

Edited by E I Addio

As for who was available and prepared to come - only Mr. J Cook knows the answers.

He told the fans after heat 4 of the Swindon meeting that he had plans to cover AJ depending on the opposition in the semi finals, and all would be revealed the following Monday. Subsequently, a mystery Polish rider had been spoken to ... but this was shelved because AJ had made a rapid recovery and could well be available for the 2nd leg at Belle Vue. Apparently, if the mystery Polish rider rode in the first leg we would have hd to ride him in the second leg!

You couldn't make it up ... but Mr Cook can .. and he has.

I meant to type after heat 14 not 4 !

It would be true though that of a pole was brought in, aj could not ride the 2nd leg. Doubt the pole would have come cheap. Tbh r/r at home and aj/kk away is about as strong as you could realistically hope for. For all the criticism of r/r kk as guest was probably the only stronger option. Unless dudek/zmarzlick/janowski/pawlicki were available and willing to ride for an non extortionate fee.

• Like 3

As for who was available and prepared to come - only Mr. J Cook knows the answers.

He told the fans after heat 4 of the Swindon meeting that he had plans to cover AJ depending on the opposition in the semi finals, and all would be revealed the following Monday. Subsequently, a mystery Polish rider had been spoken to ... but this was shelved because AJ had made a rapid recovery and could well be available for the 2nd leg at Belle Vue. Apparently, if the mystery Polish rider rode in the first leg we would have hd to ride him in the second leg!

You couldn't make it up ... but Mr Cook can .. and he has.

I meant to type after heat 14 not 4 !

Jon Cook didn't make anything up OBaHB but with AJ contacting him and saying he was working hard (NOT had made a rapid recovery as you've posted) to try and get fit for both tonight's GP and Monday's 2nd leg at the NSS being very hopeful indeed of achieving that aim, what was he supposed to do? The situation is as stated by waihekeaces1 above - end of story!

• Like 2