British Speedway Forum

I sense at long last that Swiindon fans realise they have been conned. I gather much of the car park is now unusable and even worry about this season happening - in full at least. I think this is the case whether Oxford, where Osbourne was stadium manager in the 70's is available later or not. Remember they still run dogs at Poole for their BAGS monies...

• Like 1

I sense at long last that Swiindon fans realise they have been conned. I gather much of the car park is now unusable and even worry about this season happening - in full at least. I think this is the case whether Oxford, where Osbourne was stadium manager in the 70's is available later or not. Remember they still run dogs at Poole for their BAGS monies...

Swindon fans knew they weren't getting told the truth but were accused of not being real fans if they questioned anything.

• Like 1

Swindon fans knew they weren't getting told the truth but were accused of not being real fans if they questioned anything.

Even when they pointed out that some of the timescales for completion were unrealistic.

So what is the delay ?clearly there is nothing happening or even signs that work is about to start so there obviously a reason for the lack of work , has the planning been rejected or some other reason , either some sign of work or some answers are needed and soon

The plans for a new stadium were a bargaining chip in order for the developers to get planning permission to build houses on the rest of the land. There was never any intention to build a new stadium and this has been borne out by the fact that despite a fanfare around work starting back in November, nothing has actually been done.

• Like 3

Putting the issue of a new stadium to one side for a minute- although I do see the reason for concern - can somebody confirm that it will be possible to run the 2017 season on the old track and that what has happened at Coventry namely the track and stadium has been made unfit for purpose, is not the case for the Robins

Putting the issue of a new stadium to one side for a minute- although I do see the reason for concern - can somebody confirm that it will be possible to run the 2017 season on the old track and that what has happened at Coventry namely the track and stadium has been made unfit for purpose, is not the case for the Robins

It depends who you believe. There is a rumour that the old stadium cannot be demolished until the new stadium has been built. I say this is a rumour, as lots of people repeat this, but no one is able to show where in the planning documents this clause is actually written.

Personally I think we'll be safe for 2017, as the developers will want to build and sell all the houses they already have permission for, before moving on to the contentious subject of why all the houses have been finished, but the new stadium hasn't been started.

• Like 1

It's pretty obvious what's happening here.

The land owners are waiting on the sale of already built properties.

Once enough are occupied and Swindon's 2017 season gets started they'll ask the new tenants about noise.

Once the noise complaints start coming in it gives the builder's the power over the council to change the plans.

The land owners are waiting on the sale of already built properties.

Once enough are occupied and Swindon's 2017 season gets started they'll ask the new tenants about noise.

Once the noise complaints start coming in it gives the builder's the power over the council to change the plans.

yes this is a very real possibility, However, when I was personally involved in a similar scenario - The point was made and accepted that the stadium and its use was established prior to the houses being built and therefore the complaints were not justified. The residents did get reduced rates and complimentary tickets as compensation.

Edited by 1 valve

Isn't it a condition that they can't sell more than a certain number of houses (200) until the new stadium is built?

yes this is a very real possibility, However, when I was personally involved in a similar scenario - The point was made and accepted that the stadium and its use was established prior to the houses being built and therefore the complaints were not justified. The residents did get reduced rates and complimentary tickets as compensation.

This clause/covenant about there needs to be a sporting facility there, does it include a clause about "WHAT" sort of sport it has to be? Does it state "MOTORSPORT" or could the developer just bung a "SPORTS CLUB" with a squash court, gym and thats all??

Edited by Shale Searcher

Isn't it a condition that they can't sell more than a certain number of houses (200) until the new stadium is built?

There is a condition like that but not sure of the number and if it is limited to when the stadium is started or finished. Putting up the gabion wall could be seen as the start of the stadium build.

Have any tenants moved into the new houses yet? If so, could they be approached and asked what they were told when they bought the houses? Were they told that a stadium would be built, and until it was then the old one would be used, and so there would be some noise from the speedway? Or were they led to believe that the stadium would go and it would just be a housing development?

Also, could anyone go along to the sales office, express an interest in buying a property there and then ask questions as to what the plans are for the area regarding the speedway?

Have any tenants moved into the new houses yet? If so, could they be approached and asked what they were told when they bought the houses? Were they told that a stadium would be built, and until it was then the old one would be used, and so there would be some noise from the speedway? Or were they led to believe that the stadium would go and it would just be a housing development?

Also, could anyone go along to the sales office, express an interest in buying a property there and then ask questions as to what the plans are for the area regarding the speedway?

They could, but I suspect the developers have already got that covered...

Perhaps Swindon Speedway is quiet, as they already know the fate, but don't want to be hung, drawn and quartered by fans.

I fear for Swindon Speedway at the moment, think they've been hoodwinked, and the final nail will be hammered home at the end of the 2017 season..

No. The condition is until contracts for the new stadium are signed. This is a very vague and ambiguous clause and given the fanfare around work on the new stadium "starting" I would imagine that this condition has already been met.

This clause/covenant about there needs to be a sporting facility there, does it include a clause about "WHAT" sort of sport it has to be? Does it state "MOTORSPORT" or could the developer just bung a "SPORTS CLUB" with a squash court, gym and thats all??

I have read the planning documentation thoroughly and there is no mention of a clause/covenant restricting usage of the land to sporting facilities.

That doesn't mean it doesn't exist, but similar to the "can't demolish the old stadium until the new one is built clause" no one seems to be able to point to this in writing.

The plans for a new stadium were a bargaining chip in order for the developers to get planning permission to build houses on the rest of the land. There was never any intention to build a new stadium and this has been borne out by the fact that despite a fanfare around work starting back in November, nothing has actually been done.

I suspect you are spot on, correct.

In this day and age does anyone really think a stadium holding Motorsport events would be built alongside a new housing development? Only the die hard speedway fanatic would believe this. It just doesn't "stack up" in today's politically and social environment. Doesn't matter if the Abbey was there first, there will be ways and means to get around this and put the housing in.

I fear that 2017 will be the last year of the Swindon Robins speedway team.

I also think that within, say 5 years, speedway in the south / south east of England will have 2 or 3 clubs - Poole, Rye House and Kent. It is surely only a matter of time before Lakeside and Eastbourne succumb to external pressures.