British Speedway Forum

I disagree. The gap between the two leagues is still quite significant.

There's not any Championship side that would get close to a Premiership team in a head to head so far

Danny are you sure? a poor product no way in a month of Sundays should we pay 17 pound a meeting for a real bang average product..I will pay it i still love going a great night out for me but in reality no way is this product worth 17 pound a head.

There's not any Championship side that would get close to a Premiership team in a head to head so far

Really? I genuinely think a couple of clubs could give Swindon a run for their money. Peterborough for example could rack up loads at home vs Swindon - yes Doyle would score an easy maximum but after that? Only needs Morris to be having a pretty naff day and score 5 which is not impossible and then Peterboroughs top 4 could potentially beat all but Doyle. Peterboroughs reserve will be the equal of Swindons 5th rider (he's the same rider!). They only have to cling on at Swindon then.

Imagine you took Doyle out and put a random 8 point man in then you have just taken Swindon team down to 44.5, thats only 5 point difference between the two teams and still that Swindon number 1 is better than anything Peterborough have! In effect, Peterborough have to find 4 points or Swindon lose 4 (or some combo of both) and suddenly it's game on between the two clubs!

You have Danny King and Craig Cook riding as a heatleader for both and Kyle Newman and Josh Bates as a second string for both.

If Jason Doyle gets injured, Swindon would match a CL side in my opinion.

And we saw how many injuries and guest bookings there were last year. I think Poole and someone else perhaps Leicester both had 4 riders missing in one meeting last season although I might be wrong.

It will be carnage this year because is there the riders to go around.

R/R is going to be carrying the ball and chain more than ever this year I believe.

You have Danny King and Craig Cook riding as a heatleader for both and Kyle Newman and Josh Bates as a second string for both.

And we saw how many injuries and guest bookings there were last year. I think Poole and someone else perhaps Leicester both had 4 riders missing in one meeting last season although I might be wrong.

R/R is going to be carrying the ball and chain more than ever this year I believe.

Josh Bates is at reserve for Coventry

Josh Bates is at reserve for Coventry. He's the lowest averages rider in the side

Bowden seems to be the latest in a meagre line of successful, honest and professional business men who have shown enthusiasm and a will to improve speedway - unfortunately, one by one they fall by the wayside as the true magnitiude of the inherent self-interest and shambolic running of the sport grinds them down.

Chapman is tub-thumping about how this is a new start. Comments like those expressed by Mike show it's still the same old story and self-destruction continues at a pace!

The problem is total self interest, it needs someone independent with a good knowledge of the sport and its problems.

• Like 2

Really? I genuinely think a couple of clubs could give Swindon a run for their money. Peterborough for example could rack up loads at home vs Swindon - yes Doyle would score an easy maximum but after that? Only needs Morris to be having a pretty naff day and score 5 which is not impossible and then Peterboroughs top 4 could potentially beat all but Doyle. Peterboroughs reserve will be the equal of Swindons 5th rider (he's the same rider!). They only have to cling on at Swindon then.

Imagine you took Doyle out and put a random 8 point man in then you have just taken Swindon team down to 44.5, thats only 5 point difference between the two teams and still that Swindon number 1 is better than anything Peterborough have! In effect, Peterborough have to find 4 points or Swindon lose 4 (or some combo of both) and suddenly it's game on between the two clubs!

So if Swindon had a 44.5 point team, Boro's 40 point team would get close to them? Thanks for that insight Shawn, even Leicester's 40 point team beat 44 point teams this year!

And you dismiss Swindon's top 4, all of whom have averages considerably higher than Boro's top 4, & you don't mention Ostergaard on his way down, Lambert the one track pony returning from injury, the schizophrenic Hansen & 2 point rookie Tom Bacon who has never seen most tracks, certainly not Boro or Swindon & hasn't achieved anything like Wajknecht in the NL. Oh, and there's Grondal's regular 9 point scores when he was a Boro rider and on his visit this year Bellego won three faces & beat Craig Cook twice. Yep, no chance for Swindon!

Edited by DC2

BSPA Making it up as they go along.

http://www.swindonrobins.co/news.php?extend.2804

Sounds bad yes, but on the flip side what credible manager signs a rider without clear clarification on an assessed average and particularly right before an all important AGM?

Surely the importance of assessed newcomers was covered at the AGM? ?

Absolutely barmy that new foreigners were ever considered to be coming in on four or five.

• Like 1

Absolutely barmy that new foreigners were ever considered to be coming in on four or five.

I am with SCB on this one, any riders coming into the UK should be assessed on a 7.00 whether they are a European, American or Australian.

• Like 1

Sounds bad yes, but on the flip side what credible manager signs a rider without clear clarification on an assessed average and particularly right before an all important AGM?

As I pointed out earlier, they made it up as they went along at the BSPA AGM, so probably didn't have this 'rule' ever written down!

• Like 1

Assuming of course that the credible manager who is putting the team together attended the AGM or was told of the rule change by someone who did.

Not all promoters attend the AGM because of a limit on attendance.

As I pointed out earlier, they made it up as they went along at the BSPA AGM, so probably didn't have this 'rule' ever written down!

Of that we will never know. However thank god they have seen sense because bringing foreigners in on a 4 or 5 whilst saddling some British riders with averages over 7 would be completely barking.

I'm shocked any promoter would think they could get away with such a shocking blatant attempt at getting someone on a bargain average.

Thank god the days of teams bringing in ringer reserves on plainly fake averages are over even though it seems it hasn't been well executed.

Assuming of course that the credible manager who is putting the team together attended the AGM or was told of the rule change by someone who did.

Not all promoters attend the AGM because of a limit on attendance.

You would think any person from Swindon who attended the AGM would ensure they get clear clarification on new assessed riders particularly given they were looking to bring one in.

Somebody messed up that's for sure.

Under last years system they could have come in on such an average unless they rode in a top league but since then we have moved to this new rule of giving everyone an average in the lower level, so a rider like Mikkel B Andersen could have joined Workington or Sheffield last season on a 7.00 average which is correct.

There are going to be some big problems in the future over this averages being set at the lower level and they should start the season when all teams are done on assessed EL averages and limits of 38 and 30 which in effect is the 50/40 limit but using the higher leagues averages.

Once teams start getting new averages, all this ONE AVERAGE goes out the window as a rider averaging 6.22 in the Premiership will be roughly the same as a rider averaging 9 in the Championship but using the old EL averages means that changes can easily be done when injuries come in as most Premiership riders will see their averages drop but the riders left out at the start will still have inflated averages unless you use their old EL average or an assessment of such.