British Speedway Forum
4thbender

Sheffield 2017

Dark winter months lie ahead and it's a good time to start some early speculation about what 2017 might bring to Owlerton.

For my money, Sheffield have under-performed this season and radical change might be necessary to shake things up. For what it's worth, here are my thoughts:

Simon Stead: past his peak and whatever average he finishes on this season, he won't be able to maintain next season. Time to move him on to pastures new and say a hearty "thank you and well done."

Jason Garrity: The only rider in the current team who can fill Stead's shoes and step up to no.1. He may have blotted his copy book with his antics in the pits, but he's a total crowd-pleaser on the track and, whatever the current state of his relationship with the management, they must kiss and make up and get him back for next season.

Kyle Howarth: The outstanding surprise of the season, particularly his away performances. Must be back next year.

Dimiti Bergé: Another surprise package. His early form at home paired with Steady demonstrated what he's capable of, but I think there's a lot more to come from him in the future. Sign him now.

Josh Bates: His team performances have gone backwards this year and, in my opinion, he would benefit from a move. Family ties to the management are not in his best interests or those of the team. Time to move on, if only temporarily.

Arthur Sissis: Generally disappointing since his comeback, but has started to hit a bit of form in his last few outings (since he learned how to move outside into the dirt). If his form continues through the playoffs I'd give him another chance at reserve next year.

Nathan Greaves: Clearly out of his depth and needs another year or two in the National League before stepping up.

Who to bring in: David Bellego has prospered since leaving Owlerton. I thought it was a big mistake to let him go last year and would plead for him to come back. Him and his mate (and fellow-frenchie) Bergé in the same team would hit it off a treat. Also a return to British speedway for Ty Proctor is overdue and the way he was treated two years ago means we owe him one.

So my 2017 team would be:

Garrity

Bellego

Howarth

Proctor

Bergé

Sissis

A.N.Other from National League

Don't know how that would stack up points-wise, but I'm sure someone will inform us.

Think if Berwick do run next year with new promotion team then they've got to look to ask David to come back to his parent club.

I was disappointed when he left because he's got ooodles of talent!

1. Jason Garrity 8.43

2. Josh Bates 5.46

3. Dimitri Berge 7.09

4. Ulrich Ostergaard 8.08

5. Kyle Howarth 6.95

6. Richard Hall 3.29

7. 3.00??

Total 42.30

OR

1. Brady Kurtz 9.22

2. Nicolai Klindt 5.42

3. Jason Garrity 8.43

4. Josh Bates 5.46

5. Kyle Howarth 6.95

6. Arthur Sissis 3.79

7. 3.00??

Total 42.27

I'd keep Kyle and Dimi and also Arthur,there's a rider in there,personally I think he needs better equipment.

Josh basically stood still at Owlerton this year maybe a year away from been the 'local star' might help him.

Heat leaders.Steady would have to be the number 2 if he continues,you can still see flashes of the old Simon,but its abit like Sean Wilson in 2005 where Sean never quite got back to his pre broken neck form.

Jason I'd keep,but i have no idea what went on at Ipswich,also he missed lots of fixtures due to injury so that may weigh against him.

Riders the management might consider are our old friends Craig Cook and Brady Kurtz if we need a new number 1 and Jack Holder who flies around Owlerton.

3.00 rider would likely to be Jack Parkinson-Blackburn.

• Like 1

What about Jonas B Andersen?, he loves the track and always seems to go well round there

I'd keep Kyle and Dimi and also Arthur,there's a rider in there,personally I think he needs better equipment.

Josh basically stood still at Owlerton this year maybe a year away from been the 'local star' might help him.

Heat leaders.Steady would have to be the number 2 if he continues,you can still see flashes of the old Simon,but its abit like Sean Wilson in 2005 where Sean never quite got back to his pre broken neck form.

Jason I'd keep,but i have no idea what went on at Ipswich,also he missed lots of fixtures due to injury so that may weigh against him.

Riders the management might consider are our old friends Craig Cook and Brady Kurtz if we need a new number 1 and Jack Holder who flies around Owlerton.

3.00 rider would likely to be Jack Parkinson-Blackburn.

Brady Kurtz has turned his back on PL to concentrate on EL with Poole.

Brady Kurtz has turned his back on PL to concentrate on EL with Poole.

Lots of riders do that just to drop back down

I think Steady will retire at the end of the season,

If not then I think we should keep him in the side.

If he does retire then for me we have to offer him the Team Managers job, he did say in a recent Podcast that he does with Ollie Allen that he would like to have a go at Management.

So this would be my team for 2017.

(1) Jason Garrity or Simon Stead

(2) Kai Huckenbeck

(3) Dimitri Berge

(4) Kyle Howarth

(5) Rory Schlein

(6) Adam Roynon

(7) Jack Parkinson Blackburn

Maybe have to buy Berge if you want him again in 2017 lol

Why you skint already. :shock:

Who is Berge owned by? Is it Glasgow?

Why you skint already. :shock:

If you listen to some EdinBURGER fans then with all the money were are paying in wages then we must be.

In all seriousness though there is no chance that Berge will ever ride for us again so at a guess and what i heard couple off months ago they are looking to sell to whoever wants to buy him.

From what Simon said after the PLRC it would appear that he's considering retirement, and if he gets the chance I think he would be presenting alongside Nigel Pearson on Sky, giving Tatum the chance to concentrate on his managerial job with Lakeside. Howarth has had a reasonable season, sometimes looked really good, but had the occasional off night. Berge is definitely ok around Owlerton, when he gates, didn't see him pass many when he didn't, and he didn't do that well at the away tracks did he? Sissis might perform better with improved machinery under him. Greaves needs to concentrate on the National League. Garrity won't be back if he's fallen out with the Bates clan. although I'd like to see him back as he's provided the most entertainment this year. Bates, I didn't want to see him here this year, but when his family is running the show, can't see him going elsewhere, please let me be wrong!