British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Little Thumper

Speedway In The Guardian.....wow!

Just chanced upon this article in The Guardian:-

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/sep/24/love-affair-became-obsession-megafans-of-small-teams

Half way down is the speedway bit and I think it touches a bit of a nerve with those of us who hang around the lower echelons of the speedway world.

:t:

Somerset Rebels may be in the lower echelons of the sporting world but in speedway terms they are probably in the mid to higher echelons (good track, neat stadium [but beware the rabbit holes], professionally promoted and successful).

Bet Brenda's devotion was tested last night though!

• Like 1

I always thought that a Speedway track around a Non league ground was heaven!

Example - Romford.

Edited by GWC
  • Like 2

Not entirely sure why Nottingham Panthers got included in this article, given that they got nearly 6000 at their home opener a fortnight ago.

Edited by ballinger

I always thought that a Speedway track around a Non league ground was heaven!

Example - Romford.

romford, great stadium, massive crowds, narrow track and concrete safety fence!
  • Like 3

Being a Romford lad myself I have to agree.

• Like 1

Really enjoyed reading that article.

I guess that's how many of us started.

I used to do Friday night at Monmore to shout for the opposition, Saturday at Cradley for the serious stuff and Monday at the old Ladbroke Stadium Perry Barr to enjoy the racing as it was a great little track before the bulldozers moved in.

• Like 1

Somerset Rebels may be in the lower echelons of the sporting world but in speedway terms they are probably in the mid to higher echelons (good track, neat stadium [but beware the rabbit holes], professionally promoted and successful).

Bet Brenda's devotion was tested last night though!

nah she was fine! She will be back for the next meeting i'm sure ;)

Really enjoyed reading that article.

I guess that's how many of us started.

I used to do Friday night at Monmore to shout for the opposition, Saturday at Cradley for the serious stuff and Monday at the old Ladbroke Stadium Perry Barr to enjoy the racing as it was a great little track before the bulldozers moved in.

i saw some great meetings at perry Barr. It was a really smart stadium with good facilities.
  • Like 1

i saw some great meetings at perry Barr. It was a really smart stadium with good facilities.

I've got some great memories of Ladbrokes Stadium Perry Barr.

Finn Jensen beating Ole Olsen twice in one meeting, Pehhall and Schwartz guesting for Brummies and King's Lynn respectively and ending up under the fence as they piled into one another on the first bend (who thought they wouldn't take it seriously!), Bruce Cribb unscrewing and smashing his exclusion light and Ivan Mauger's 17(6) for Hull including a last heat 5-1 to win 40 - 38 (that's after the Brummies were heckling him as 'past it' after Andy Grahame beat him first time out).

.........................and last but not least our 23-55 (or thereabouts) win on the very last night there. Our 1983 Team was one of the best ever.