British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
daveallan81

1984 Junior Koc & Other Junior Matches

I'm looking for information to help complete my results for this competition. I believe I've exhausted the information from the Speedway Stars and known online sources.

Round 1: Halifax v Sheffield

The first attempts to run these matches on 28th May (morning at Halifax, evening at Sheffield) were thwarted by the Bank Holiday weather. All I know is that both matches were restaged shortly afterwards, the England v Denmark programme from Halifax on 10th June congratulates the Junior Dukes on their victory over two legs. I need the dates and results of both matches

Round 1: Scunthorpe v Rye House

Rye won the first leg at Hoddesdon on 13th May. The Speedway Star lists the return fixture for 4th June. Confirmation of that date and the result required.

Round 1: Hackney v Wimbledon

23rd May at Hackney rained off. 31st May at Wimbledon saw Dons win 40-38. 6th June at Hackney was abandoned after heat 7 due to rain, and another attempt on 22nd June was also abandoned. I require the results at time of both abandonments, and at what heat and the reason for 22nd June stoppage. I suspect that Wimbledon were awarded the tie after the 2nd abandonment but confirmation of that would be helpful as well.

Quarter Final: Rye House v Ipswich

Rye programme has the first leg as 12th August, that's all I know except Witches won on aggregate. Dates and results of both legs required.

Edited by daveallan81

I have details of Rye House v Ipswich

1st leg at Ipswich on July 19th (second half after main meeting v Exeter) was 42-35.

2nd leg was on August 12th. Ipswich won 49-29.

I have heat results for all races and times for all but two of you need them.

Details must have been from Speedway Star or the East Anglian Daily Times as I didn't actually see either meeting!

• Like 1

Bit of detective work needed on this one...

Sheffield Tiger Cubs v Halifax Junior Dukes was on Thursday 31st May 1984 held as a full second half meeting.(13 heats)

The programme for that meeting isn't in our collection (maybe my dad missed that one) however there is a mention of the away leg at Halifax (no date though) in the Sheffield v Exeter programme dated 7th June...

On a very wet track they finished within eight points of the junior Dukes.This proved to be insufficient

when the junior Dukes scored 37 here last Thursday to make the aggregate score Sheffield 74,Halifax 79.
Cubs Scorers at Halifax
John Walmsley 14
Peter McNamara 8
Jamie Young 5
Rod Fidler 4+2
Rob Manchester 2+1
Mark Hepworth 1
Total 34
To get the aggregate score of 74-79,the first leg must have been Halifax 42 Sheffield 34 (Sheffield losing two race points somehow)
And the second leg Sheffield 40 Halifax 37 (Sheffield lose another point)

Reading that I'm now wondering if the first leg at Halifax went ahead as scheduled. The 'rained off' information comes from the results sheet I'm trying to update but I've not got any further proof. If it was off, it must have been restaged on the Tuesday or Wednesday 29th/30th for the 2nd leg to run on the 31st. Thanks for you help.

• Like 1

The Scunthorpe programme of 18/06/84 on the fixtures page confirms the Scunthorpe v Rye House (NJKO) match took place on 4 June with Scunthorpe winning 39-37, for an aggregate score of Scunthorpe 68 Rye House 84. The Rye House meeting on 13 May is not listed on the Scunthorpe fixtures page.

• Like 1

The information provided by members of this forum never ceases to amaze, so I'm going to add my remaining junior match related queries for 1984 to this thread.

20th May Poole v Swindon 43-35

Confirm date & result

12th June Weymouth v Swindon 48-30 or 48-28

1984 yearbook and Weymouth programme 17/07 reports result as 48-30 but SStar 23/06 returns 48-28. Confirmation required.

Weymouth v Reading 32-46

1984 yearbook only gives date as June/July. So date required and confirmation of result.

17th August Poole: Southern or Wessex Junior Championship Winner Mike Semmonds

Confirm meeting title & result

30th August Sheffield Junior Championship Winner Rob Fidler

3rd September Scunthorpe Junior Best Pairs

Result required

13th September Arena Essex v Hackney v Milton Keynes v Rye House

Result required

14th October Berwick Stars of Tomorrow 2nd Leg 'Winner' reported as Jackson Irving.

Confirm that Irving won the meeting and the overall competition, not just the latter.

1st November Sheffield Vee Clutches Best Pairs

Rained off 25/10 and rescheduled but not 100% if it actually went ahead. If it did, the winners are required.

Edited by daveallan81

30th August Sheffield: The Stones Junior Championship

1st.Rod Fidler (14):2nd.Jamie Young (13):3rd.Ian Stead (11):4th.John Walmsley (11)

1st November Sheffield : Vee Engineering Junior Best Pairs

1st.Lee Edwards (11)& Mark Hepworth (11) 22

2nd.Jamie Young (17)&Jim Grahame (4) 21

3rd.Gordon Whitaker (13)& Darren Sumner (7) 20

• Like 1

6th June hackney, 24 Wimbledon, 18 abandoned after 7 heats

22nd June hackney, 13 Wimbledon, 11 abandoned after 4 heats

I went to both of these meetings!

• Like 1

Andrew & cityrebel, thank you both for your help.

both of the hackney v Wimbledon matches were rained off.

A 1984 Reading programme has a Rivets fixtures list which gives 3 July for Weymouth v Reading. If so then it would have been the second half of the Weymouth v Stoke meeting. I'm now looking out for the programme for that meeting to see if that hypothesis is correct.

arnieg, on 11 Oct 2016 - 08:11 AM, said:

A 1984 Reading programme has a Rivets fixtures list which gives 3 July for Weymouth v Reading. If so then it would have been the second half of the Weymouth v Stoke meeting. I'm now looking out for the programme for that meeting to see if that hypothesis is correct.

The Speedway Star reports that Tom Owen won the 2nd half final that night. I would have expected that to have been scrubbed if they were running a double header although I suppose it may just have been a single top scorers race.

I've got two other junior-related queries from 1971 and 1982:

06/11/1971 King's Lynn Stars of Tomorrow Winner Mike Lanham

Wikipedia states Mike "won the BSSC Junior Trophy in his first season". I don't have any note for a meeting of that title but I'm guessing that they were one and the same event. Confirmation of that notion is required.

29/10/1982 Swindon v Central Junior League Select 46-32

Confirmation of date and result required.

The Speedway Star of 13 November 1971 has the result and a report for the King's Lynn Stars of Tomorrow meeting held 6 November. The report states "After riding speedway for only nine weeks, 20-year-old Mike Lanham, from Barham, near Ipswich won the Stars of Tomorrow Trophy, with 14 points. The British Supporters Club Trophy was presented by Mr. Ian MacDonald president of the BSSC and 'Speedway Star & News' foreign correspondent."

In Speedway Star of 30 October 1971 the King's Lynn fixture for 6 November is listed as British Speedway Supporters' Club Trophy.

• Like 1

Just to update this thread, the date for the Halifax v Sheffield NJKOC 1st leg is now confirmed as 28th May. Despite what the results sheet stated, it was not rained off and went ahead as scheduled with an 11am start. I believe that completes the NJKOC fixtures and results - I'll get them published in full in due course.

Obviously still a few other queries to be resolved, here is the revised list:

29th October 1982 Swindon v Central Junior League Select 46-32

Confirmation of date and result required.

20th May 1984 Poole v Swindon 43-35

Confirm date & result

12th June 1984 Weymouth v Swindon 48-30 or 48-28

1984 yearbook and Weymouth programme 17/07 reports result as 48-30 but SStar 23/06 returns 48-28. Confirmation required.

Weymouth v Reading 32-46

1984 yearbook only gives date as June/July. So date required and confirmation of result.

17th August 1984 Poole: Southern or Wessex Junior Championship Winner Mike Semmonds

3rd September 1984 Scunthorpe Junior Best Pairs

Result required

13th September 1984 Arena Essex v Hackney v Milton Keynes v Rye House

Result required

14th October 1984 Berwick Stars of Tomorrow 2nd Leg 'Winner' reported as Jackson Irving.

Confirm that Irving won the meeting and the overall competition, not just the latter.