British Speedway Forum

Thanks for the periscope videos Steve, very interesting. I really enjoyed listening to Matt Ford who I think was really open and honest. Listening to him you can see why Poole are very successful and able to attract riders. Obviously not just about the money. His comments about the press and getting maximum exposure for Poole could be heeded by other promotions.

Edited by TesarRacing

Thanks for the periscope videos Steve, very interesting. I really enjoyed listening to Matt Ford who I think was really open and honest. Listening to him you can see why Poole are very successful and able to attract riders. Obviously not just about the money. His comments about the press and getting maximum exposure for Poole could be heeded by other promotions.

Not so easy for some, Coventry in particular!. Bees have to compete for article space with CCFC ( and shambles that goes with them), Wasps, Cov Rugby, Cov Blaze, Cov Bears and now Wasps Netball that attracted a crowd of 4,500 the other day. Add to that we've had Snooker, Rugby League internationals and even Davis Cup tennis in recent times. This is probably the reason why we announce riders mainly on a Saturday morning, all the Rugby and Football previews are done Friday! Poole's location certainly helps them as apart from the 2 PL football clubs I'm not sure there is much else sporting wise, especially at the levels Coventry based clubs play at.

Having said that Coventry Telegraph do an excellent job previewing and reporting our meetings.

Edited by woz01
  • Like 2

Agree with you Woz regarding the competition for sports in Coventry. I know the promotion and Trev Randle in particular do a great job locally with the Motorcyle Show stand and generally publicising the sport.

I did like the way Matt spoke though.

Agree with you Woz regarding the competition for sports in Coventry. I know the promotion and Trev Randle in particular do a great job locally with the Motorcyle Show stand and generally publicising the sport.

I did like the way Matt spoke though.

Motorcycle live is a brilliant way to promote. It's a shame other clubs and the bspa don't get involved with it.

I agree with Matt also and it would be the ideal way to do it if at all possible.

• Like 1

Excellent evening people looking for chairs 4 riders present Matt as well and nigel who always does a excellent job not forgetting Stan and Val of course

Well if the capacity+ crowd at last night's quiz night is anything to go by I can't see much of a drop in meeting attendances - despite as Matt said the amount of negativity whenever there is a change.

Great quiz too - with worthy winners who led the 19 teams and won the play-offs too!!! :-) :-)

ps. Final rider will be confirmed and announced next week - according to MF on BBC Radio this morning.

Edited by Skidder1

Well if the capacity+ crowd at last night's quiz night is anything to go by I can't see much of a drop in meeting attendances - despite as Matt said the amount of negativity whenever there is a change.

Great quiz too - with worthy winners who led the 19 teams and won the play-offs too!!! :-) :-)

ps. Final rider will be confirmed and announced next week - according to MF on BBC Radio this morning.

I think that's a pretty feeble explanation. It's not like fans are kicking off because of a slight rule change, they are kicking off because the league has been diluted so heavily that we've become one of the poorest speedway leagues in the world.

I think that's a pretty feeble explanation. It's not like fans are kicking off because of a slight rule change, they are kicking off because the league has been diluted so heavily that we've become one of the poorest speedway leagues in the world.

Maybe that is the case mate, but the majority of clubs are no longer in a position to pay the top boys what they demand..

Edited by Starman2006

Maybe that is the case mate, but the majority of clubs are no longer in a position to pay the top boys what the demand..

Then stop charging the public as much for it or do a better job promoting it.

Personally I just can't see myself attending speedway next year at those prices. I only really know a couple of other fans in real life and they've said the same thing. I'm sure out of the couple of thousand that attend each week there will be at good chunk that won't bother at that price. Apply that to the whole league and that's tens of thousands of pounds less next year. Come 2018 this cost cutting exercise just starts over again.

Edited by BurntFaceMan

Last year's price perhaps?

Personally I just can't see myself attending speedway next year at those prices. I only really know a couple of other fans in real life and they've said the same thing. I'm sure out of the couple of thousand that attend each week there will be at good chunk that won't bother at that price. Apply that to the whole league and that's tens of thousands of pounds less next year. Come 2018 this cost cutting exercise just starts over again.

Which prices are them mate. Poole havn't anounced any yet..

Matt's looking for a new sponsor you seem to have a lot to say on the subject perhaps you can help out ? The bspa are trying to get British speedway back on track it may not perfect but that's what we got at this moment in time roll on march that's what I say
  • Like 2

Which prices are them mate. Poole havn't anounced any yet..

Oh yeah, I'm sure they've slashed them. :t:

Matt's looking for a new sponsor you seem to have a lot to say on the subject perhaps you can help out ? The bspa are trying to get British speedway back on track it may not perfect but that's what we got at this moment in time roll on march that's what I say

You live in Poole too right? Tell me, apart from a few ingeniously creative roundabout signs with "Poole Speedway" on, have you actually come across any mention of Poole Speedway? The occasional story in the local rag and almost no word of mouth isn't very appealing to a team sponsor.

The fact is there are a lot of supporters out there like me. We want to see the best riders in the world over here. Those supporters like me will see this season as a massive hit to the quality and they will not be attending. As a result of that, further cuts will need to be made in 2018 and the same thing will happen again! It doesn't take a genius to see that there is absolutely no future with that approach.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not just trying to contrary, I'm not looking for an excuse to be upset, I just genuinely cannot justify paying anything more than £10 to watch riders of this standard. To be honest, I wouldn't even pay that. Even if it were completely free it's just not that interesting to me to watch inexperienced and over the hill riders racing. That doesn't give me goosebumps, it doesn't get me excited, it doesn't get me talking throughout the week. Just my two cents, and I fear the two cents of a good chunk of the many thousands who don't all post on this forum.