British Speedway Forum

Its a jigsaw puzzle putting the pieces into place and you can't fit a square peg in a round hole. Adams average is too high to place him in the team Matt Ford has in his mind.

In Matts mind while team building nationality doesn't come into the equation. Considering Matt Ford has prove in his tenure as owner of Poole Speedway is that he is the best at building title winning teams by the proverbial mile.

Sure, he could fit in Adam, and most Poole fans would be very happy at his inclusion. But it could lead to an imbalance in another area of the side. No one should doubt Matt doesn't know what he is doing. I would not be at all suprised to see rival fans going into some type of meltdown if the team he wants to put together actually does come together.

I just don't get why people are saying Poole should sign Ellis?

I Ford doesn't think he fits the direction he wants to take the team so be it, that's Speedway

I'd have Ellis at King's Lynn though as I think he'll still improve on his actual 2016 EL average

• Like 2

At least he let him know early so can get fixed up, rather than making him wait.

Gavan - you were slagging Ellis off at the end of last season saying he wasn't good enough to be in top 5 cos he was struggling away from home and now you say he's the best thing since sliced bread? Is this your anti Poole stuff again?

You need to read over my posts again Lisa as quite clearly you havent.

And how on earth can it be anti Poole when im saying they should back young British riders

I said Ellis in the top 5 could be a liability away from home in the play offs. Which is something ive said in relation to him finding other clubs.

I stand by my opinion that at the time the World Cup team was announced that Bates deserved that reserve spot based on international performances and winning the British Under 21 title.

Im not saying Adam is the best thing since sliced bread. I am saying he is a young improving Brit and has been discarded (not for the first time by Poole) in favour of giving a foreign rider work. Why pick Gomolski over Ellis for example?

I just don't get why people are saying Poole should sign Ellis?

I Ford doesn't think he fits the direction he wants to take the team so be it, that's Speedway

I'd have Ellis at King's Lynn though as I think he'll still improve on his actual 2016 EL average

They dont have to sign Ellis at all

Just seems crazy they would scrap a young Brit (again) for a foreign rider , when that young Brit is improving rapidly

Edited by Gavan

no it hasn't backfired. Ellis is on a true average, improving fast yet Poole screw him over.

Poole haven't screwed him over, he is available for any team to employ, just not us. It isn't about him being British and getting a foreigner in, it is about building the strongest team with the points available.

• Like 1

What is more important, being Exciting or Winning? Every team can be exciting, but only one team can actually be winners. The\ excitement is what will put bums on seats and riders like Garrity will provide all the excitement a team wants.

Give me excitement over winners everytime..... and riders like Garrity, and Lambert, should be the first names on the list....

• Like 1

Does it nmatter, it's all about the Pirates giving him a job in 2017 after racing so well for you in 2016!

Doesn't matter that he rode in 2016, he doesn't have a divine right to be re-employed, most riders will be changing teams with the new rules.

Ellis could easily be fitted in

His average fits in with all the other young brits, higher than Newman and Howarth, and lower than Garrity or Lambert.

Even his dad has been saying its ridiculous how he is out of a team place but jonny foreigner can come in with loads of sponsorship.

Its left a bad taste with most Poole fans on here that Matt Ford has told him already that he isnt part of the plans.

Seem to remember Poole doing this before sacking Howarth for Mickey Dyer.

Why? Nobody has really done any team building yet.

Ellis scored heavily from number 2 at Poole last season, getting 7 and 8 points a meeting.

If he goes to another home track then he could be seen as a risk as he would need time to get used to the track

He would be no risk for Poole at all

Why are you banging on about Ellis?

Every team had 2 young Brits last year. They're not all going to be back at the same club this year.

Teams have to looks at the points limit, look at the average and then try to put together the best possible team within those constraints. And that's it.

What is more important, being Exciting or Winning? Every team can be exciting, but only one team can actually be winners. The\ excitement is what will put bums on seats and riders like Garrity will provide all the excitement a team wants.

Give me excitement over winners everytime..... and riders like Garrity, and Lambert, should be the first names on the list....

I'm not so sure. I would say being winners is what gets the crowd in. If a team is losing people go home disruntled and don't always come back until the team starts winning again.

• Like 2

Why are you banging on about Ellis?

Every team had 2 young Brits last year. They're not all going to be back at the same club this year.

Teams have to looks at the points limit, look at the average and then try to put together the best possible team within those constraints. And that's it.

I'm not so sure. I would say being winners is what gets the crowd in. If a team is losing people go home disruntled and don't always come back until the team starts winning again.

Quite right, very well put. I went to Kings Lynn for the Poole meeting there and the crowd was very poor, that is solely down to the team not winning, fans give up on them.

At least he let him know early so can get fixed up, rather than making him wait.

Gavan - you were slagging Ellis off at the end of last season saying he wasn't good enough to be in top 5 cos he was struggling away from home and now you say he's the best thing since sliced bread? Is this your anti Poole stuff again?

Ford wouldn't have made him wait he doesn't own him he can do what he likes

Doesn't matter that he rode in 2016, he doesn't have a divine right to be re-employed, most riders will be changing teams with the new rules.

Therein lies one of the major reasons Speedway falls further into obscurity.

Adam Ellis young and talented English rider who had an excellent season and would only get better, not considered and has beens and proven failures like Batchelor, Watt and Bjerre thought to be better value

• Like 6

Therein lies one of the major reasons Speedway falls further into obscurity.

Adam Ellis young and talented English rider who had an excellent season and would only get better, not considered and has beens and proven failures like Batchelor, Watt and Bjerre thought to be better value

100% correct

Seem to remember Poole doing this before sacking Howarth for Mickey Dyer.

Any chance you could stop trolling, Gavan? I've explained to you several times already, Howarth went as part of a double change in May, when Ward was badly injured. They were replaced by THJ and Pawlicki. Dyer replaced Stachyra much later on in the season.

Also, worth pointing out that Ellis hasn't been sacked, he just hasn't yet been offered a contract. The makeup of most speedway teams change year on year, it's the way it's been for years, and will continue to be while there's a points limit.

Edited by Nellie

Just to be clear Matt Ford has said its 'unlikely' that Adam Ellis can be fitted in to Poole's 1-7 (despite him arguing that Adam's average should be calculated differently at the AGM due to him not riding PL. One EL club argued vociferously against it - I wonder who that was??).

Lets just wait and see. You never know whoever the new main team sponsor is may well be an Ellis fan!!!??

Incidentally, the reason Gomolski appears in some suggested Poole line-ups is because he was 'promised' a 2017 team place at the end of the 2015 season when he effectively won the play-off final!!

Am sure Ellis will get a team place elsewhere. but can understand ford not picking him for 17 as holder kurtz batch Newman all seem to offer slightly better value for those middle order positions.

Don't see why they should be criticised for that might change my mind if they replaced him with gomolski though. Just hope Milik isn't allowed in on an artificially low average from 14/15.

Am sure Ellis will get a team place elsewhere. but can understand ford not picking him for 17 as holder kurtz batch Newman all seem to offer slightly better value for those middle order positions.

Don't see why they should be criticised for that might change my mind if they replaced him with gomolski though. Just hope Milik isn't allowed in on an artificially low average from 14/15.

We all know if it was another club that had not renewed Ellis' contract, very little would have been said a few moans and groans here or there.