British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MrMungo

Plymouth 2017

2016 was certainly a trying one for the Devils faithful. A side that had plenty of potential never really got going, but the Fours success was a bright spark in an otherwise challenging year.

The good news is that Plymouth have confirmed they will be running again in 2017, in which league seems to be very open at the moment.

Whilst not being privy to the finances, the crowd levels at SBA were for the large part quite disappointing, and going forward they must remain a cause for concern.

Noone is really quite sure what the league structure will be like in 2017 at this moment, but if the rumours are to believed, a weaker PL product would probably suit Plymouth very well indeed.

As for the class of 2016 who will stay, who will go?

Looking at the latest Green Sheets, Newman's average of 6.31 will surely make him one of the hottest properties over the winter months. I thought his starting average of 6.84 was low for him, but a tough year full of injuries has sent his average spiralling downwards.

If I were a betting man, whether Plymouth can retain the services of the captain will go a long way to deciding whether they will be running PL or NL.

If in the PL

1. Josh Grajczonek 8.90

2. Todd Kurtz 5.76

3. Jack Holder 7.16

4. Lewis Kerr 6.16

5. Kyle Newman 6.31

6. Steve Boxall 5.15

7. Ellis Perks 3.00/Another 3.00?? (Shanes)

Total 42.44

If in the NL

1. Ellis Perks 8.68

2. Kelsey Dugard 4.28

3. Brendan Johnson 6.21

4. Lee Smart 5.71

5. James Shanes 8.53

6. Tyler Govier 3.30

7. Luke Harris 3.80

Josh g yes,Kurtz never ever again ,holder love to have him back but I don't think he would want to come back,Kerr not sure rather have starke,newman and perks yes under current rules. But we need to fit Nielsen in somewhere.who would want to put a team together.

Given his comments recently it wouldn't surprise me to see Grajczonek riding for Plymouth if they do stay in the PL.

uf josh wants a smaller , tighter track next season , maybe northside will suit him ..

• Like 1

Holder I'd love to stay but I don't think he will,newman I defiantly think will stay,Kurtz can go wherever he likes as long as it ain't Plymouth.newman ,holder,josh g,Nielsen and perks would be a good start because Kurtz,Simota,and boxall to a lesser extent were bloomin hopeless away from home.

http://speedwaygb.co/news.php?extend.31405

PLYMOUTH Speedway have this afternoon issued the following statement regarding the current situation at the Devon club.

It is with deep regret that I have to inform you that as of yesterday (Monday 3rd October) Peninsula Promotions Ltd T/A Plymouth Speedway commenced formal proceedings to liquidate the company.

The financial situation of the club has been well documented during the season. Unfortunately the necessity to liquidate has been brought about by another season of losses. In the previous three seasons the losses have been funded by the Directors & Shareholders, well in excess of a six figure sum and despite the best efforts of the “Plymouth Fanzone” raising a considerable sum of money which without, we would not have been able to complete the season.

The arrangement with the investors, and with only two meetings left, failed to finalise and the takeover was not completed. Faced with operational debts which could no longer be serviced, the decision was taken by the Directors / Shareholders to put the company into liquidation.

The Liquidators have been informed that there are interested parties wishing to put in a bid for the Track and all its fixtures, which had been created, born out of a Rugby pitch by the current and previous owner.

Speedway returned to Plymouth in 2006 after an absence of 36 years and the current period of operation of 11 years has been the longest period of continuous operation in its entire history. Hopefully this period will not be interrupted and continue in 2017.

Our thanks go to all the loyal speedway supporters of Plymouth and those that regularly travel distances exceeding distances of sixty miles and more to support Plymouth Speedway.

Ashley Taylor
Co-Promoter, Plymouth Speedway

Edited by MrMungo

sad day , but can't come as any real surprise . all i'd say to any of the people involved in the running of the devils , come back and join us in the national league just for one year before you walk away , it's saved a number of clubs hopefully will do the same for you. good luck.

• Like 2

Sad news for the people who supported Plymouth Speedway since their return but it seems they have been swimming against the tide for a year or two now. Hopefully, and it is hopefully, someone out there will step in to take over everything.

• Like 1

Sad news indeed and should be a reminder to people on here who seem to get pleasure in other teams misfortunes that most clubs are in a position where they do not make money. Think before you write as one day it might be your club.Hopefully something can be sorted.

• Like 5

Not good news.

But fingers crossed, and good luck Devils!

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 1

sad news for all of us . just read that on the unofficial comets site . hope it not a trend thats going around . feeling sorry for Plymouth after all that hard work .