British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MrMungo

Plymouth 2017

Is there any money left from a former promotors estate that could be used for the 'betterment' of Plymouth Speedway or has that money already gone in keeping them afloat?

Sad time for Speedway in Devon!

Too many Promotions overpaying riders without the income from gate receipts,relying on sponsers and fans to subsidise losses.Things will not change though,riders are digging their own grave.

• Like 7

Seeing as several of his assets ride there perhaps this is a golden opportunity for Matt Ford to take the reins and make a success of Plymouth.

• Like 2

Seeing as several of his assets ride there perhaps this is a golden opportunity for Matt Ford to take the reins and make a success of Plymouth.

yes please and he would make a success of it.

Plymouth Albion rugby club were in serious financial problems about a year ago and currently are drawing about half the crowds of 3 or 4 years ago, Plymouth Argyle gates have fallen from over 20,000 to in the region of 7000.

The people of Plymouth have long been a fickle lot and currently seem to have fallen out of love with all sporting events. Promoting any spectator events in the city in order to make money you run them once, do a lot of publicity, take the money and run. Plymouth people only turn out for events that are FREE

Local media don't help, only TV coverage has been when things have gone wrong and newspaper coverage has concentrated on the negative all year.

a brilliant marketing deal with McDonalds was dumped by the so called new marketing manager because it didn't bring in cash, just publicity aimed at young people in every branch in Plymouth together would have been Devils flyers, with incentives for speedway fans at Mcs branches bring the programme for a free coffee and the william anchor dumped it . PROMOTE is a word not understood in Plymouth, no advertising anywhere in the city, 15000 flyers printed by me where are they.

I am now too old and too disabled to take it on, it needs an Ian Thomas to grab it by the scruff of its neck, accentuate the BS, get a professional centre green presenter who can work a crowd, and give them a SHOW every week. Certain people behind lthis years promotion look down on my views, such as getting a press battle going with Somerset, just as Colin and myself did for 6 weeks 15 years ago, it brought more people through the gates at both tracks. SPEEDWAY IS ENTERTAINMENT and has to be promoted as such NOT too much as a sport OH for a Vic Lonsdale, Frank Evans, Chris Julian, Clive Hitch and the runaway Lynx from Dartmoor Zoo. .

• Like 1

Vic Lonsdale. What a character. Controversy on 2 wheels and so entertaining to watch. He once drove to Nuneaton, looking for the Station Road stadium, only to discover that he should have been in Long Eaton.

There is and will always be more than meets the eye to all stories. Plymouth has closed for the second time in a season and quite frankly it's down to poor management and poor promotion. Imagine where the club would have been if the fans hadn't raised circa £25,000!?

Crowds haven't been great for a few seasons and perhaps that is down to a lack of success - That said on paper I thought we had one of the most exciting teams in the PL at the start of the year.

Top to bottom we need fresh faces - People who know how to run a speedway club, people who manage effectively and transparently and ultimately make PL speedway viable, because it can be!

• Like 1

one thing I forgot from my earlier post, since Peninsula Promotions took over from Mike Bowden, every single team sponsor has found an excuse/ reason (in THEIR mind) to not pay the club their agreed sponsorship money. Plymouth are therefore at least £20k short of of where they should be.

Suspect the administrator will be chasing those companies for the money owed. if I told you the reason one didn't pay you wouldn't believe it

• Like 1

another basic error made was that the people providing the finance, i.e the promoters ,devolved the team building/ rider pay negotiations to a non financially involved third party. lost control of their costs at that point. Its no good moaning that no one helps you IF you wont allow anybody else to help you except for labourer work.

one thing I forgot from my earlier post, since Peninsula Promotions took over from Mike Bowden, every single team sponsor has found an excuse/ reason (in THEIR mind) to not pay the club their agreed sponsorship money. Plymouth are therefore at least £20k short of of where they should be.Suspect the administrator will be chasing those companies for the money owed. if I told you the reason one didn't pay you wouldn't believe it

Having been involved with a few clubs it's unbelievable what sponsors excuses are used to get out of paying their deals.

I wonder if bowden will step back in.. i know one of the sponsors didnt renew his large investment because they never did any advertising and certainly no plugging of their company but still took the money.

I heard the same no name,last years sponsors,but the commercial manager has gone from previous seasons has gone thank god and the one they have lined up has his head screwed on that I no I just hope we have a club for him to be involved in.

Mike0310 they said that about the current one..

I personally think they wont be back unless someone with deep pockets to give it a year of losses to try and gain what bowden had in the NL back as bad a promoter he was he could certianly get the sponsors on board his major failing was he opened his mouth with the wrong words coming out lol.. if he didnt do that i would be seeing the team already in the NL building it back up.

in fact an edit.. http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/mike-bowden-still-waiting-on-a-figure-to-save-plymouth-devils/story-29797395-detail/story.html

Edited by no name