British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MrMungo

Plymouth 2017

Mike0310 they said that about the current one..

I personally think they wont be back unless someone with deep pockets to give it a year of losses to try and gain what bowden had in the NL back as bad a promoter he was he could certianly get the sponsors on board his major failing was he opened his mouth with the wrong words coming out lol.. if he didnt do that i would be seeing the team already in the NL building it back up.

in fact an edit.. http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/mike-bowden-still-waiting-on-a-figure-to-save-plymouth-devils/story-29797395-detail/story.html

There must be someone other than Mike Bowden keen to run the devils.......... PLEASE GOD HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There must be someone other than Mike Bowden keen to run the devils.......... PLEASE GOD HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I actually think mike could bring back speedway in Plymouth and do very well as well.. he has the contacts and the people who will sponsor the team.

just got to hope he has reigned himself in with how he may treat some people.. but he is Plymouths best chance at recovery.

I actually think mike could bring back speedway in Plymouth and do very well as well.. he has the contacts and the people who will sponsor the team.

just got to hope he has reigned himself in with how he may treat some people.. but he is Plymouths best chance at recovery.

You are wrong Mike Bowden is not the best chance. It needs a PROMOTER that can PROMOTE & I don't think Mr Bowden would even get the licence to operate a for second time. I can't see why the right person with a bit of financial clout behind them would not succeed & be the envy of all other UK tracks. The key will be PROMOTE, PROMOTE & more PROMOTE not just Plymouth but plenty of other tracks also.

• Like 1

You are wrong Mike Bowden is not the best chance. It needs a PROMOTER that can PROMOTE & I don't think Mr Bowden would even get the licence to operate a for second time. I can't see why the right person with a bit of financial clout behind them would not succeed & be the envy of all other UK tracks. The key will be PROMOTE, PROMOTE & more PROMOTE not just Plymouth but plenty of other tracks also.

Thats your opinion what Bowden did for Plymouth Speedway is a lot.. yes he rubbed a lot of people up the wrong way but the biggest mistake he made was moving to prem early.. easy mistake to make and one you wont know unless you have the power of hindsight.. but had a great crowd in the NL and i think he is the only hope for plymouth to come back to life.

there is no one else who could do it.. and why dont you think bowden will get another license ??

A nice sentiment ChrisBlewett and I hope Plymouth do come up the 2017season. I still have fond memories of the many seasons at the old Pennycress Stadium legendary old timers like Ivan Kessell, Pete Lansdale, Stan Lancer & Co.

In response to your actual request - I think the good man upstairs has more important things on hand at the moment than Plymouth speedway. But, again, salvation does work in strange ways so we must hope that there will be a survival initiative for the team in regard to the 2017 season. :approve:

Edited by Guest

Thats your opinion what Bowden did for Plymouth Speedway is a lot.. yes he rubbed a lot of people up the wrong way but the biggest mistake he made was moving to prem early.. easy mistake to make and one you wont know unless you have the power of hindsight.. but had a great crowd in the NL and i think he is the only hope for plymouth to come back to life.

there is no one else who could do it.. and why dont you think bowden will get another license ??

If Mike Bowden were our best chance of survival we might as well not bother.

Yes he brought speedway back to the City and no-one can ever fault him for that. However Plymouth's crowds were diminishing before we went to the PL and that was because he never once seriously promoted the club or sought to generate any decent commercial revenue. To be fair he never needed to because the club had a bubble around it for the first two / three seasons which allowed him to collect with very little outlay.

We are in a very different world now. What the club needs is not a one man band, it needs a team of open and honest people who can invest some case and have a bit of savvy about them to ensure the club is well managed and promoted.

Basically we need people we can trust, Mike Bowden lost that trust a long time ago. I sincerely hope someone else is out there.

• Like 2

Someone like a Matt forde who runs it as his business not a play thing,you might not like pooles way of working but I'd have him at my club in a heart beat and he would make a success of it .i wonder if he would be interested in a feeder club for Poole you never no somewhere where he could keep an eye on his assets.

• Like 2

Someone like a Matt forde who runs it as his business not a play thing,you might not like pooles way of working but I'd have him at my club in a heart beat and he would make a success of it .i wonder if he would be interested in a feeder club for Poole you never no somewhere where he could keep an eye on his assets.

That was an option earlier on in the year until Plymouth was saved back in April.

If Mike Bowden were our best chance of survival we might as well not bother.

Yes he brought speedway back to the City and no-one can ever fault him for that. However Plymouth's crowds were diminishing before we went to the PL and that was because he never once seriously promoted the club or sought to generate any decent commercial revenue. To be fair he never needed to because the club had a bubble around it for the first two / three seasons which allowed him to collect with very little outlay.

We are in a very different world now. What the club needs is not a one man band, it needs a team of open and honest people who can invest some case and have a bit of savvy about them to ensure the club is well managed and promoted.

Basically we need people we can trust, Mike Bowden lost that trust a long time ago. I sincerely hope someone else is out there.

Wasn't that what was supposed to happen with the out going promotion..??? Seems they didn't make it work either..

Maybe you are right maybe you are wrong would you rather no speedway then.. seems you know what Bowden did and didn't do do you have some inside information then ??

I don't no about inside knowledge but from going every week in the Bowden era lets just say some of his practices were not what you would expect from a speedway promoter but that was then things may have changed who knows,let's just hope someone came forward at the creditors meeting today.

Wasn't that what was supposed to happen with the out going promotion..??? Seems they didn't make it work either..

Maybe you are right maybe you are wrong would you rather no speedway then.. seems you know what Bowden did and didn't do do you have some inside information then ??

Quite agree, it was. but they weren't the right people for the job either it seems.

No inside information required - It was clear for everyone to see!

I don't no about inside knowledge but from going every week in the Bowden era lets just say some of his practices were not what you would expect from a speedway promoter but that was then things may have changed who knows,let's just hope someone came forward at the creditors meeting today.

i quite agree he never thought about anything before he did it and always said exactly how he felt no matter who it would hurt even the team..

hopefully he has learnt from that and if he gets another go he makes a better go at it than last time.

I would rather see Plymouth back on track in the NL with bowden at the helm than the track be torn down and it go back to being a field..

or if a miracle happens someone else comes in.. which i doubt really funny place Plymouth it will take someone very special

the appeal to GOD naturally drew my attention, and I have been giving it serious thought over the past few days, having already ploughed a lot of money into the promotion over the past few years, however with my current medical problems (need a zimmer to walk, problems with DVLA over driving iicence, they insist I have medical problems of their own invention and will not accept the word of consultants at the Plymouth Hospitals that I do not have those conditions, would make it impossible for me to be able to run the promotion the way I would llke to.

From experience, it IS effectively a full time job if you are going to do it properly, until you manage to build up a backroom team you can trust completely to take some of the weight off. I would love to take it on BUT I have unfortunately to face up to my current medical problems which I hope are temporary, and accept that at the current time I just cant do it physically. IT would be targeted as FUN ON A FRIDAY TO START THE WEEKEND, lots of explosives, lots of propane burners, brighter lights already supplied them with new floods for the start area for the season gone back in February but were never installed, new 22,000 lumen LED floods for the bends, also already supplied, better loos, better presentation, it needs someone who can work a crowd. Its not Rye House science.

• Like 1