British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MrMungo

Plymouth 2017

the appeal to GOD naturally drew my attention, and I have been giving it serious thought over the past few days, having already ploughed a lot of money into the promotion over the past few years, however with my current medical problems (need a zimmer to walk, problems with DVLA over driving iicence, they insist I have medical problems of their own invention and will not accept the word of consultants at the Plymouth Hospitals that I do not have those conditions, would make it impossible for me to be able to run the promotion the way I would llke to.

From experience, it IS effectively a full time job if you are going to do it properly, until you manage to build up a backroom team you can trust completely to take some of the weight off. I would love to take it on BUT I have unfortunately to face up to my current medical problems which I hope are temporary, and accept that at the current time I just cant do it physically. IT would be targeted as FUN ON A FRIDAY TO START THE WEEKEND, lots of explosives, lots of propane burners, brighter lights already supplied them with new floods for the start area for the season gone back in February but were never installed, new 22,000 lumen LED floods for the bends, also already supplied, better loos, better presentation, it needs someone who can work a crowd. Its not Rye House science.

Agree 100% but not just a full time "person" someone who can organize, motivate, good PR skills & firm financial backing.... Mike Bowden fits none of that criteria!!!

Agree 100% but not just a full time "person" someone who can organize, motivate, good PR skills & firm financial backing.... Mike Bowden fits none of that criteria!!!

Mike Bowden has a very firm financial backing.. yes his PR is not great but i hope he has changed in 4 years or gets someone to do that side.. he can organize he did well enough to build the place and get it open every weekend and get riders every where.. motivation comes from the team manager and with Lee at the helm thats also fine..

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/mike-bowden-makes-his-move-to-save-city-speedway-club-plymouth-devils/story-29822816-detail/story.html

good luck to Mike i hope he gets it back and brings back the 800+ crowd and gives Plymouth a team to be proud of again.. Mike in fact worked very well with the other local teams i remember them going to Plymouth Argyle and ripping up and down the side of the pitch at the half time break on the bikes..

Mike Bowden has a very firm financial backing.. yes his PR is not great but i hope he has changed in 4 years or gets someone to do that side.. he can organize he did well enough to build the place and get it open every weekend and get riders every where.. motivation comes from the team manager and with Lee at the helm thats also fine..

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/mike-bowden-makes-his-move-to-save-city-speedway-club-plymouth-devils/story-29822816-detail/story.html

good luck to Mike i hope he gets it back and brings back the 800+ crowd and gives Plymouth a team to be proud of again.. Mike in fact worked very well with the other local teams i remember them going to Plymouth Argyle and ripping up and down the side of the pitch at the half time break on the bikes..

We couldn't get 800 in the PL with number of engaged fans, what makes you think we'd get that in the NL (poorer product) with Bowden (who few people trust) at the helm?

I'm not sure if you know Mr Bowden personally or if it's just that his offer is all you are aware of but I'm hopeful that we will get the right promotion in and also retain our PL status.

I love speedway but I will not put any money in Mr Bowden's pocket.

I understand that Mike Bowden may have made an offer for Plymouth Speedway, if my information is accurate the cheque would only have 4 numbers on it and 9,8,7,6, 5or 4 doesn't feature in the line immediately after the £ sign it is believed.

Edited by barncooseboy

I understand that Mike Bowden may have made an offer for Plymouth Speedway, if my information is accurate the cheque would only have 4 numbers on it and 9,8,7,6, 5or 4 doesn't feature in the line immediately after the £ sign it is believed.

£10.23 ??

We couldn't get 800 in the PL with number of engaged fans, what makes you think we'd get that in the NL (poorer product) with Bowden (who few people trust) at the helm?

I'm not sure if you know Mr Bowden personally or if it's just that his offer is all you are aware of but I'm hopeful that we will get the right promotion in and also retain our PL status.

I love speedway but I will not put any money in Mr Bowden's pocket.

I think you are de-valuing the National league some very good racing in the National League and a winning side will bring the crowd back.. its the same at most clubs not got a winning side people flee..

when Plymouth had a National League side they were extremely succesful and the crowds were there.. went into the Premier League not a winning side and people left silly i know but its a fact..

and its not putting money into Bowdens pocket its keeping Plymouth Speedway alive and racing and you say people dont trust him it is only the people who got into a position to hear certain things from one or maybe two sources who hears bad things... yes he is not great at most things but running a team with the right help and the right PR I think it will be fine (well I hope it will)

if you speak to many riders who rode for him none (apart from one who it was well documented) will tell you bowden treated them poorly they were always paid and paid well.

I dont think PL is viable in Plymouth that has been shown to be a fact and any promotion who takes over needs to start from the beginning and build it back up at that will mean the National League if you want Plymouth Speedway to succeed then you have to be realistic and back whoever comes into the promotion and whatever league you go into.. its people with views like yours that will help the failing of the team just my opinion

• Like 1

Beautifully put.

The facts as hard as they may seem are

Plymouth cannot continue to run/build teams that the gates do not support - PL

Riders have lost rust in the club regarding being paid so would make signings difficult - PL/NL

If Plymouth built a PL team that was affordable it most likely would not be competitive - PL

Geographically Plymouth is not appealing to riders/supporters for Friday night travel. PL/NL

Would a team be sustainable based upon 2016 crowd figures minus 100 who would stay away for reasons various - NL

I'll be surprised if Lee is your team manager if Bowden is in charge.

I'll be surprised if Lee is your team manager if Bowden is in charge.

it wont be my team manager.. but that will be Lee's choice.. he did a superb job with the team the past few years if he didnt then I am sure someone else would do it with as much passion well i hope they would..

so let me get this right.. everyone moans oh no Plymouth may be gone not good times... then someone who previuosly took the team in the National League to lead the NL and have some very memorable battles with Scunny etc.. you all bad mouth it..

that is why this sport is going down hil.. instead of backing the guy who you may not have confidence or like very much when he wants to save speedway.. you would rather bad mouth that guy.. why should he bother.. let the team die into the dust.. then you will all have something more to moan about..

• Like 1

I'm not bad mouthing anybody. I for one would like nothing better than to see Plymouth survive as it's a cracking little track. All I said was that I'd be surprised if Lee was team manager if Bowden was running it. Lee quit the job at the end of Bowden's last season in charge. He took the job on again when the promotion changed.

I just hope someone somewhere can save you devils.

I'm not bad mouthing anybody. I for one would like nothing better than to see Plymouth survive as it's a cracking little track. All I said was that I'd be surprised if Lee was team manager if Bowden was running it. Lee quit the job at the end of Bowden's last season in charge. He took the job on again when the promotion changed.

I just hope someone somewhere can save you devils.

This is incorrect lee has never quit the job he was assistant manager with seemond stevens and then took the position on alone when seemond stood down. I would be surprized if bowden got the club anyway as i believe other parties are interested aswell
  • Like 1

ask Eastbourne or Birmingham if they are content in the NL after losing money hand over fist in the EL

NL offers lower wages to payout , less traveling and a chance to make some money.

I personally hope that Plymouth go in to the. NL and start a new era for Plymouth.

• Like 2

Bowden is not the only party interested in taking the club on but he is trying to give that impression through local press and media where other people go about their business in a different more discreet way. Yes nl is an option but depending on what re-stucturing within british speedway comes out of the agm if any then pl may still appeal to some potential owners. I expect some major changes personally which may just suit plymouth heres hoping!

Edited by lewy
  • Like 3

. I expect some major changes personally which may just suit plymouth heres hoping!

i would have thought plymouth offering sensible points money ,deals would be a start

• Like 1