British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MrMungo

Plymouth 2017

ask Eastbourne or Birmingham if they are content in the NL after losing money hand over fist in the EL

NL offers lower wages to payout , less traveling and a chance to make some money.

I personally hope that Plymouth go in to the. NL and start a new era for Plymouth.

Of course your assuming Eastbourne and Birmingham pay normal NL pay rates, my information is Ellis is paid well above that which possibly explains his reluctance to do PL.

I rather suspect that like a lot of the more successful teams in any of the leagues, they pay a little more than the norm.

Plymouth has struggled to break even in the PL because quite simply they have tried to survive purely on gate receipts and a few people sponsoring heats. That isn't enough. Many teams in the league have struggled for crowds over the years and its commercial revenue (or a rich owner) that has enabled these clubs to survive.

Plymouth's crowds were falling before we went PL, I've said it before and i'll say it again. The club could survive in the PL on it's current crowds but to do so it needs a promoter and a team of people to commercially bring in significant revenue. If this can be secured I think we can survive in the PL.

With the greatest respect - I don't believe that can be achieved with any of our previous promoters.

• Like 7

Of course your assuming Eastbourne and Birmingham pay normal NL pay rates, my information is Ellis is paid well above that which possibly explains his reluctance to do PL.

I rather suspect that like a lot of the more successful teams in any of the leagues, they pay a little more than the norm.

I agree with you but it will still be a much lower bill compared to running in the PL

Edited by KIRKYLANE

So if the crowds have deserted the PL Devils, what makes you think they will come back in droves to see an inferior product?

Just ask any Cradley Kent Eastbourne or Birmingham fan as they seem to have no problems doing so

• Like 3

its speedway and a winning side promoted properly will bring people back but not enough for premier league.

It would be enough to sustain PL. but it needs promoting properly, along with plenty of incentives.

It would be enough to sustain PL. but it needs promoting properly, along with plenty of incentives.

its already been quoted as there just isnt enough people coming through the gates for Premier League and no one will want to take a huge loss to see if they can get a crowd in.. yes it needs to be promoted properly and advertised properly but how much money would you want to loose while seeing if that can be done..

put your money in and see what happens !!

I wish the new promotion the very best of luck in doing just that.

raised gate prices of 15 quid a head for premier league verses less than a tenner for national league perhaps people will be more inclined to visit and see what the fuss is about for less than a tenner.. get them back get them hooked get the crowd back to what it once was and then make the move back up..if financially viable people with families just havent got all that disposable income these days loads of places are suffering.. make it cheaper to go and people may come back.. but do it while you are not creating a season of Premier League wages to cover..

and if you are thinking of incentives as in gate prices.. you still have to pay those riders prem wages where does that money come from ??.. the new promoters pockets thats where.. would anyone want to take it on and make a loss staright away and big losses..?? the old promotion have been quoting figures of £2,000 a week... £10,000 a month IN LOSSES...

the sooner you get off the its premier league only the better the team will be.. yes its a shame to move down a league but other teams have done it and things have massivley improved and the racing isnt that far off i witnessed some fantastic racing in the National League around Plymouth and would still visit to watch it when I am back down that area.

I may be wrong and the new owner keeps it in the Premier League but I hope they have deep pockets and a lot of patience the corwd just isnt there at the minute not saying it wont be in the future but i think National League is the way forward just my opinion of course

Edited by no name
  • Like 4

Since I lived in Plymouth for a large chunk of my life, I am rather fond of the Devils, and I'd like to see them in the NL and actually running, it would be so much better for them and I think their track suits the NL rather well, to develop young kids in the d!ck of the country

• Like 1

The problems with Plymouth this year from reading all the comments on here and elsewhere appear to be a problem with the promoter not the product of the racing itself, Plymouth are the current Four's champion's, so success has been achieved in that department, hope Plymouth do survive under a new promotion team, to come to the tapes next year, I look forward to coming to watch them even all the way from Yorkshire to see them at the Boniface arena next year if that is the case.

Edited by STEPHEN 333
  • Like 3

The problems with Plymouth this year from reading all the comments on here and elsewhere appear to be a problem with the promoter not the product of the racing itself, Plymouth are the current Four's champion's, so success has been achieved in that department, hope Plymouth do survive under a new promotion team, to come to the tapes next year, I look forward to coming to watch them even all the way from Yorkshire to see them at the Boniface arena next year if that is the case.

I wouldnt say it was the promotion persay... If you are referring to the show put on then yes but when you dont have a crowd to pull in its hard.. its not the person its what people get from their entrance fee.. people want a winning team its a fickle business if people dont get a winning side they wont come to watch.. fans never really get much involvement with a promoter and from what i saw they never really spoke to the press it was always Lee Trigger who did the paper reports.. was that the problem ?? unsure...

lets just hope who ever comes in is supported even if it is Mr Bowden and being in the National League I will say though an 8 man consortium scares me because Plymouth had a consortium before and you will never know who is in charge unless they decide a chain of command as desicions can be hard to be made the last consortium in Plymouth didnt work..

I really do hope Plymouth survive this and prosper..

• Like 1

I wouldnt say it was the promotion persay... If you are referring to the show put on then yes but when you dont have a crowd to pull in its hard.. its not the person its what people get from their entrance fee.. people want a winning team its a fickle business if people dont get a winning side they wont come to watch.. fans never really get much involvement with a promoter and from what i saw they never really spoke to the press it was always Lee Trigger who did the paper reports.. was that the problem ?? unsure...

lets just hope who ever comes in is supported even if it is Mr Bowden and being in the National League I will say though an 8 man consortium scares me because Plymouth had a consortium before and you will never know who is in charge unless they decide a chain of command as desicions can be hard to be made the last consortium in Plymouth didnt work..

I really do hope Plymouth survive this and prosper..

Got to agree with you on consortiums, they rarely work, too many Indians not enough Chiefs comes to mind,, You need one person in charge to make decisions. Not a bad idea to listen to as many fans as possible, and cherry pick the good ideas, but only have one person to make the decisions.

No name lee trigger is not the problem if it weren't for him the riders would have walked half way through the season your so far off the mark with that one your in another country.

• Like 1

No name lee trigger is not the problem if it weren't for him the riders would have walked half way through the season your so far off the mark with that one your in another country.

I don't believe No Name is suggesting Lee Trigger was the problem. It's more to do with the fact that both David Short and William (Ashley) Taylor were largely in the background, and effectively lacked a 'frontman' or leader, if you prefer. In essence, that frontman was Lee Trigger.

• Like 1

its already been quoted as there just isnt enough people coming through the gates for Premier League and no one will want to take a huge loss to see if they can get a crowd in.. yes it needs to be promoted properly and advertised properly but how much money would you want to loose while seeing if that can be done..

Plymouth is a massive catchment are, so you have to do what Matt ford did with us. Go out and get sponsorship. It will not come to you..

Never said Lee was a problem Lee is a mate of mine what I said it was only Lee in the paper and people didn't know the promotion and was that the problem..

Lee did a great job and I speak to both him and his partner and I know what the relationship was like between the riders and Lee.. so I guess you either didn't read what I wrote properly or have a proper bee in your bonnet.. so glad Mr Mungo read it properly..

Plymouth is a massive catchment are, so you have to do what Matt ford did with us. Go out and get sponsorship. It will not come to you..

It's always been a huge catchment area and they have done quite a lot already but it doesn't happen it may do with the right team involved but it will take a lot of work...

As I have said best of luck to whoever gets it I just hope everyone supports whoever it is and whatever league they are in..

• Like 1