British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MrMungo

Plymouth 2017

A small but contentious point re Leander's earlier post. The air bags, that were slashed, are not owned by the promotion but by an investor and the only damage done that night. Clearly the intention was to prevent speedway from continuing, Who was responsible, therefore the motive remains to be a matter of speculation,

I have no more information on that issue.

Im just wondering, theres a certain NL Team manager spending the weekend down that way this week, could he be involved ?, he currently doesnt have a Team to Manage, but he has Cornish rider connections through two current Cornish riders :wink: Hmmmmmm it wouldnt surprise me, maybe Im putting 2+2 and coming up with 5, but whoever takes over, in my opinion it has to be NL...

I don't think there's any doubt of that whatsoever. Everything I have had from Devon has said NL.

The other thing is the nearest track in the PL is now Ipswich - probably 250 miles away, and at least half of the others will be more like 400. Not only will that mean that they will have a travel expenses bill of massive size, it will also mean that the other teams won't want them for the same reason.

There will be some long hauls in the NL, but the furthest will probably be Buxton and that's about half the distance of Edinburgh.

I have had it on good authority that there will no issue with the BSPA and that initial, positive talks have taken place with the stadium owners.

• Like 2

Hopefully some positive news soon then Halifaxtiger. Our Devils forum members are screaming out for an announcement.

When Plymouth were in the Conference in 2008,

Plymouth, Boston, Redcar, Weymouth, Scunthorpe, Buxton, Rye House, Sittingbourne

I do believe 2016 compares very favourably with the 2008 Conference League, Boston equal if not further than KL, Sittingbourne = to Kent, and Eastbourne, Redcar must be a long way further than BV, and Scunthorpe a lot further away than Stoke, RH is not a million miles from Mildenhall., so while its true other Teams have a long haul to Plymouth, Plymouth dont have to travel so far as in 2008.

Edited by greyhoundp

When Plymouth were in the Conference in 2008,

Plymouth, Boston, Redcar, Weymouth, Scunthorpe, Buxton, Rye House, Sittingbourne

I do believe 2016 compares very favourably with the 2008 Conference League, Boston equal if not further than KL, Sittingbourne = to Kent, and Eastbourne, Redcar must be a long way further than BV, and Scunthorpe a lot further away than Stoke, RH is not a million miles from Mildenhall., so while its true other Teams have a long haul to Plymouth, Plymouth dont have to travel so far as in 2008.

And if I jump out my 32nd floor window I don't travel as far as I would if it had been the 35th floor :lol:

I recall that Plymouths first ever PL meetings (in 2011) were at Berwick on the Saturday and Glargow on the Sunday. Yours truly did the small matter of approx 1100 miles in 48 hours. Mental. But fun, even it did result in 2 proper shellacings.

Congratulations to the two new owners of Plymouth speedway both come with a good background in the sport yes it's the national league but I'm pretty convinced with these guys contacts we will be very competitive.

• Like 5

Mark Phillips said:

Dear Fans, supporters friends New and Old, Today the 21st of November I can announce that a successful purchase of assets, agreement with the St Boniface College on the continuation of Speedway at the Sports Ground and acceptance to join the British Speedway Promoters Association . We still have to wait until the AGM of the National Speedway League where the National League Promoters vote on accepting Plymouth Devils into the League (fingers crossed) before we can approach Riders for our 2017 team

Both Myself, Mark Phillips And Laurence Rogers intend to bring Great Speedway back to Plymouth with major concern on creating a successful Team and a Successful Business for years to come.

We hope to secure a venue soon after the 13th of December's AGM to bring us all together to meet you all and discuss the way foreword...

Thank you all for your patience

Roll on 2017

Mark

Read more: http://plymouthdevils.proboards.com/thread/8249/silly-season-2?page=15#ixzz4Qg87Sepp

Superb

• Like 1

Mark Phillips said:

Dear Fans, supporters friends New and Old, Today the 21st of November I can announce that a successful purchase of assets, agreement with the St Boniface College on the continuation of Speedway at the Sports Ground and acceptance to join the British Speedway Promoters Association . We still have to wait until the AGM of the National Speedway League where the National League Promoters vote on accepting Plymouth Devils into the League (fingers crossed) before we can approach Riders for our 2017 team

Both Myself, Mark Phillips And Laurence Rogers intend to bring Great Speedway back to Plymouth with major concern on creating a successful Team and a Successful Business for years to come.

We hope to secure a venue soon after the 13th of December's AGM to bring us all together to meet you all and discuss the way foreword...

Thank you all for your patience

Roll on 2017

Mark

Read more: http://plymouthdevils.proboards.com/thread/8249/silly-season-2?page=15#ixzz4Qg87Sepp

Superb

I'd just like to wish all Plymouth promotion and fans good luck and everything turns out ok for the future.

• Like 4

Brilliant news that Plymouth have new owners, especially the fact that it isn't Bowden. Hope that Plymouth have a good season, & get some stability, so that there is no doubt's about running in the future.

• Like 3

Thank you Mike0310

your very welcome Laurence I'm absolutely sure with the right team the Devils will be a roaring success again at national league level.
  • Like 2

Good luck guys, i knew you just had to be down in Devon/Cornwall on speedway business Laurence, when i saw on your FB you were down in that neck of the woods straight away i thought Plymouth :t: Potentially St Boniface has the makings of being a great assett to the NL once again...

Edited by greyhoundp
  • Like 5

Huge thanks to Mark and Laurence.

Adversity last season brought together a host of fans who rallied to keep Speedway in Plymouth and it now means that their efforts will not have been wasted.

I am sure there will be strong support coming forward and if we can add success on the track the enthusiasm will roll on.

The DEVILS ride again!

• Like 2

As Laurence will confirm, I've given him a bit of stick over the years but there are not many with his passion for helping the sport at grass roots/NL level. You can be sure the guy will be giving it his all to make Plymouth a success - and for Laurence, Mark and all the fans who have suffered over the last few seasons I hope it all goes well!