British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MrMungo

Plymouth 2017

I don't really have a lot of nice things to say about him I could tell you a lot that I know..

But all that aside he brought the sport back to the area yes he did loads wrong but who doesn't when you do something new he didn't have the support I think last time and certainly did things wrong to failure.. not related to him at all look on facebook mattie bates showed support for Bowden a lot of riders were treated very well by him.. he did things way to public because he loves the limelight...

I just personally think he could well be the best shot Plymouth has for its future but we will see what happens won't we.. all I hope is that it will be saved and prosper and I also think whoever takes it over needs to go NL and not pander to these people who thinks it's poor quality.

Let's be straight who else in Plymouth or the surrounding area has the funding... the knowledge of riders and the sport and most of all the trust of a lot of riders apart from you all thinking and quite rightly so he can be an idiot which he was.. let's hope he has changed and brings it back with a good team of people around him and makes it successful..

If not him I hope you all support whoever takes it on and let's hope they all do things the right way for you all.

Leopards and spots spring to mind.

I agree with an earlier poster - you have all the marks of someone associated with the subject under discussion.

yep thats me..

Yes Mike has pee'd a lot of people off but lets be straight its not a popularity contest its someone who can come in with knowledge of the business at hand.. the riders and the Plymouth area..

as much as i hate to say it as I dont deal with the family at all any more through personal reasons he seems the best man for the job unless someone else out there with suitably deep pockets and knowledge of the sport comes in..

let be honest I know mike would never ever come back into the sport if he felt he couldnt make any money at it he is that kind of person he always said he would never pay for someone else to have a good evening.. that didnt just extend to the general public..

I have no dealings with the Bowden family at all i left the area a long time ago but my heart will always be with Plymouth and have been down a few times recently and took in a meeting while down there not so long ago seems the atmosphere has gone from the place..

but hold your hands up guys while we all dislike bowden he made that place and run it very well until he went premier league he just isnt professional enough for the prem.. but with the right team behind him and limited dealings with the press etc and if he gets back to putting back on a show for people it may just work..dont let the dislike for him stop you from supporting the team.

As someone said earlier i would never line bowdens pockets.. think of it you get to keep speedway in Plymouth and a team you can get behind and you dont loose a sport a lot of you love in the local area through the dislike for the owner

So what have the Liquidators got to sell?

The tea urn, anything else.

Fire Engine !!! ???

yep thats me..

Yes Mike has pee'd a lot of people off but lets be straight its not a popularity contest its someone who can come in with knowledge of the business at hand.. the riders and the Plymouth area..

as much as i hate to say it as I dont deal with the family at all any more through personal reasons he seems the best man for the job unless someone else out there with suitably deep pockets and knowledge of the sport comes in..

let be honest I know mike would never ever come back into the sport if he felt he couldnt make any money at it he is that kind of person he always said he would never pay for someone else to have a good evening.. that didnt just extend to the general public..

I have no dealings with the Bowden family at all i left the area a long time ago but my heart will always be with Plymouth and have been down a few times recently and took in a meeting while down there not so long ago seems the atmosphere has gone from the place..

but hold your hands up guys while we all dislike bowden he made that place and run it very well until he went premier league he just isnt professional enough for the prem.. but with the right team behind him and limited dealings with the press etc and if he gets back to putting back on a show for people it may just work..dont let the dislike for him stop you from supporting the team.

As someone said earlier i would never line bowdens pockets.. think of it you get to keep speedway in Plymouth and a team you can get behind and you dont loose a sport a lot of you love in the local area through the dislike for the owner

i'd just like to echo one of the things you say in your post. the mallets annoyed a lot of people when involved under tim stone's reign so that was their attitude when they took over and despite putting on track the best wasps team for over 10 yrs they didn't come back and everybody knows what happened then, so it's o.k. to take the moral high ground but it can also lead to cutting one's nose off to spite one's face. it's certainly worth thinking about, so good advise.

• Like 1

So what have the Liquidators got to sell?

The tea urn, anything else.

Neville the Devils chopper bike...

Its not a question of whats left to sell more a question of whats lost to speedway if no one takes it over it is one of the most exciting tracks to watch speedway on in the pl imo

• Like 3

Wouldn't be too hard to get it up and running in the PL, especially with all the willing helpers still there, but and it's a big but, the threat of vandalism would be too big a risk to take.

Premier league is not viable the people are not coming through the gate.. a new owner at least would want to break even not lose thousands a week.. if premier league was viable the owners wouldn't be going into liquidation..

It is a great track but I think a step down to national league get a crowd back and then step back up if viable.. that's a business stance.. it has to be a viable option and obviously with what has happened it's shown it isn't

You've contradicted yourself. Too many viables, if we don't pay the Riders, then it would be viable.

No i havent.. I have said from the outset Premier is not viable at Plymouth it was shown from the very first year.. and now the current guys have gone into liquidation they didnt have the people coming through the gates.. and didnt pay the riders their full money i believe kyle newman is still owed money if you cannot pay your riders that shows me it isnt viable.

so a drop down to the national league means a drop in wage bill keep the people coming through the gates.. get back into a profit model for the business build on that do well in the national league and bring back the bigger crowd then and only then when it is fully stable make the move up again..

nothing contradictory about that statement and its the same statement i made on the first post on this thread.

So if the crowds have deserted the PL Devils, what makes you think they will come back in droves to see an inferior product?

• Like 2

Reference riders not being paid is not under dispute, but how this came about is tarnishing certain other people with a brush that is not warranted. Not knowing all the facts and stating such things although true does not put certain people in a good light when they may not have had any influence on such matters. There has been and are a lot of things that are not for public knowledge and rightly so leading to the situation Plymouth Speedway finds its self in at this moment in time. But it is totally wrong to tar everyone with the same brush as this is not so, and when only stating outcomes without facts, people will only draw their own conclusions and they mostly are the wrong conclusions as to how this situation was arrived at, which could not be further from the truth.

Edited by keyham

So if the crowds have deserted the PL Devils, what makes you think they will come back in droves to see an inferior product?

its speedway and a winning side promoted properly will bring people back but not enough for premier league.

I spoke with Ashely Taylor when I was down last and he said to me he was losing £2,000 a week minimum that is not a business model that anyone would want to sustain and in fact has been proven by them going into liquidation.

I dont think for one second that the prem is gone and forgotten but without the level of support needed i think it will be a foolish choice to remian in the Prem until who ever owns the team gets things moving forwards get the business back on track with a decent bank balance. no one will want to loose money.

I wish Plymouth all the best I have many fond memories of the track and the teams that rode for the Devils while I was there and I know if you went National League you will have a que of very good riders wanting to ride for the team. and a team who will put on a show just as good in racing terms as some premier meetings.. yes you wont get some of the top riders there but that hasnt shown to be a factor in getting people through the door..