British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
PolskiZuzel

Polish Ekstraliga Is Flexing Its Muscles

The team of experts from the PZMot wants restrict PGE EkstraLiga riders to participate in no more than up to two leagues (including Polish) - informs sportowefakty.pl

It's a controversial idea, which may have an impact on the world speedway. There are pros and cons of such action - says sportowefakty.pl expert - Krzysztof Cegielski. Such a rule will be preferred by some and much less by others. The most interesting will be the reaction of the stars who during the season – up to now – been riding in several leagues -

The controversial ruling will hit hardest mainly riders from Denmark. - They will have their own home league, Polish, and nothing else. Russians or Czechs probably will not be thrilled either. Australians are in a different situation, they will still have a choice - argues Cegielski

On the other hand, sportowefakty.pl expert has no doubt that such a move will show who is the boss in world speedway. - Polish fans for some time have been expecting the Polish league to show its strength and that's what wil happens if this controversial ruling will come to force.. He expect much resistance from the riders who ride in many leagues. The rider, who rides here, there and everywhere earns good money, but he takes place in a team which could filled by others, and this leads to the fact that the rider's market is shrinking. The truth is that the best will choose Poland and Sweden. The rest will go to other leagues, and that will decrease the level of competition in many countries - emphasizes Cegielski.

Something i have said on here a few times over the years.I really think riders doing 3 or 4 leagues cuts down the opportunities and the market has definitely shrunk considerably.Adding to that as i mentioned on another thread a few months ago it seems even in Denmark the number of youngsters coming into the sport has almost halved in a few years.Hopefully this is just a blip,but if it is an ongoing situation peedway really will be in trouble anyway,with a lack of riders.We have seen that also in the Bundesliga now that they allow riders for one team to guest for another this season.

It is obviously going to hit a lot of riders in their pocket,but is it really right for the clubs and fans to be paying good money only to see riders turn up injured or tired because they have been riding in all sorts of leagues and open meeings around Europe? I don't think so

• Like 1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't I recall that this was the intention of the FIM a year or two ago? Perhaps the Poles are the first to announce their compliance with some FIM directive that has been passed since the announcement of their intention?

http://sportowefakty...-wybieraja-dwie

Don't be surprised if other national bodies make similar announcements in the near future.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't I recall that this was the intention of the FIM a year or two ago? Perhaps the Poles are the first to announce their compliance with some FIM directive that has been passed since the announcement of their intention?

http://sportowefakty...-wybieraja-dwie

Don't be surprised if other national bodies make similar announcements in the near future.

That was a rumour said to originate from a CCP congress and it surfaced in Poland from a Polish source. Was it ever a genuine proposal or thought of the CCP, I dont know. I hope not.

This will hit Swedish riders very hard. They normally do Allsvenskan+Elitserien in Sweden + Poland or Denmark or England.

A few like Linus Eklöf also rides in division 1. I think the limit should be two countries not two leagues.

Imo this will hit the Swedish league system very hard if it becomes reality. At least Allsvenskan since many Swedish riders that currently rides in both AS and ES

will have to skip AS if they also wants to ride in Poland or Denmark or England.

This will hit Swedish riders very hard. They normally do Allsvenskan+Elitserien in Sweden + Poland or Denmark or England.

A few like Linus Eklöf also rides in division 1. I think the limit should be two countries not two leagues.

Imo this will hit the Swedish league system very hard if it becomes reality. At least Allsvenskan since many Swedish riders that currently rides in both AS and ES

will have to skip AS if they also wants to ride in Poland or Denmark or England.

So now after you've slept on what you wrote last evevning, you think this "ban" is actually gonna happen?

I can't see how any recommendation to enforce riders riding in two leagues only can be practically implemented, with the amount of doubling up that happens in both Sweden and Britain.

If PZM/FIM or whoever want to restrict riders from riding in more than two countries, it has no legal basis, as any such instruction would not comply with 'restraint of trade' legislation, as effectively each rider is self-employed and can choose to ride for whom they see fit.

Moreover, it may 'free' up team places for other riders, but outside of Poland, I cannot see where there is a glut of junior riders to fill the team places that are created. Whether we like it or not, the speedway scene in Europe and the Rest of the World is shrinking. There are far less riders than there were ten years ago.

One of the more interesting aspects of the ruling is that clubs in Poland who employ non-Polish riders, who would be considered to be outside of the elite of the sport, may suddenly find themselves that they can't fill team places except with their own juniors. After all, why would any such rider consider signing a contract, to ride in Poland when there is no guarantee of meetings and indeed no guarantee that you will be eventually paid for your services?

So now after you've slept on what you wrote last evevning, you think this "ban" is actually gonna happen?

Who knows. I think there might be an intent but, as moomin man says, from a legal perspective it is probably not doable.

Especially not with all this free movement thing in the European union.

Who knows. I think there might be an intent but, as moomin man says, from a legal perspective it is probably not doable.

Especially not with all this free movement thing in the European union.

This is also discussed in the Elite section, but as I see it as a done deal. Only read the first page. Cant see this happening.

Why do people think it would not be legal to offer someone a contract which limits the amount of other contracting work the contractor can do?

Won't it come down to if a Polish rider wants to ride in Poland under a Polish licence, then he is subject to the terms and conditions of that license? "Exclusivity" restrictions occur everywhere. If you want to sell Coca Cola, you'll know that you'll only get the contract from Coca Cola on the condition that you don't sell Pepsi. Those are the terms and conditions, and you have to live with them and get on with it.

Why do people think it would not be legal to offer someone a contract which limits the amount of other contracting work the contractor can do?

For the same reason that Fim cannot prevent GP-riders from also riding in SEC. I am not an expert on EU's free movement laws but afaik you cannot prevent a company

from working in other countries since that would violate those laws. I am also not sure that Pepsi or CC can ban their customers in EU from selling the competitors product.

For the same reason that Fim cannot prevent GP-riders from also riding in SEC. I am not an expert on EU's free movement laws but afaik you cannot prevent a company

from working in other countries since that would violate those laws. I am also not sure that Pepsi or CC can ban their customers in EU from selling the competitors product.

You can't. Tesco sell pepsi and Coke. Plus other brands including their own.

Most restaurants and fast food chain outlets will only sell one brand or the other, because that's the deal they've signed. By the same principle the Polish League can implement this idea completely legally. It's THEIR terms and conditions for THEIR league. Riders are not forced to sign the contracts, they can refuse and continue to ride in Britain, Denmark, Sweden, Germany etc etc. It will be the rider's choice to not sign or sign the polish contract.

What this really comes down to is a test of club power in Poland vs rider power. If enough riders kick up a stink, the polish league may find it's not in their interests to push the idea through.

• Like 1

This is the Polish authorities being selfish barstewards imo ..... stick to bloody Sundays then there is no problem 😊

• Like 1