Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
PolskiZuzel

Polish Ekstraliga Is Flexing Its Muscles

And if they get themselves injured fulfilling a guest booking or some individual meeting in Britain, is that any better?

It happens, that's speedway.

Dates back to the introduction of speedway in the UK. The sport arrived from Australia in 1928, the same time as greyhound racing from the USA. As a result 80-90% of speedway tracks were shared use with greyhounds and they often took the Saturday slot (Sunday's were not available due to religious based restrictions on commercial activity).

Also for instance at the start there were so many tracks.There weren't enough days in the week for the London tracks..As i mentioned on another thread about pre war speedway it was possible some days for a rider and fans to see 3 meetings just in the London area on one day and there were a couple more meetings that they would have missed because of time clash.Plus the promoters were milking the fans for the money and some tracks were holding 2 or possibly 3 meetings in one week.!!!

And what about if they get injured riding Polish league, everyone else suffers, ridiculous argument!

It happens, that's speedway.

There you go, you've answered your own argument. :t:

Kinda off topic but i was always wondering why in Britain speedway is run during the week and not on weekend when most people are off when i started following speedway in Rzeszow and going to matches it was the same as now on Sundays and stadium was always full or almost full the few meetings that were rained off and scheduled during mid week had tiny crowds as far as i know most professional sports events are held on weekend or at least majority of matches in those sports are(Premier Football for example).

One reason is the fixture list. Britain was really the only country with professional speedway, so tracks needed to run a home meeting roughly every week to pay the riders and to amortise the stadium costs etc.. This obviously meant that every track couldn't ride on the same night.

Race nights were somewhat decided by seniority - new tracks coming into a particular league were generally allocated a particular night (or they inherited a race night if they purchased an existing track licence). In more recent years there was more flexibility to choose a race night, but they had to concede that when riding against other tracks with the same race night. So let's say there were two Friday night tracks, the team with least seniority would have to ride against the more senior team at home on a different day, and give up their Friday meeting when riding away to the more senior team.

Saturday night tracks generally did better than midweek tracks for crowds, but it very much depends on local circumstances. Tracks in more urban areas seem to be able to run midweek with less effect on crowds than those in more rural areas. I personally preferred Friday racing, but it became increasingly problematic to travel to meetings because of the growing traffic issues.

I think Sunday racing has also been confined to lower league racing in Britain. Quite aside from the restrictions on professional Sunday sport until the 1970s(?), Sunday was the day for grasstrack and continental longtrack racing.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

There you go, you've answered your own argument. :t:

So u agree, ridiculous argument and the Poles should shove their proposed rule where the sun don't shine, knew you'd come round to my way of thinking 😊

Thanks for explanation guys some polish speedway track(not all of them) share venues with football kinda like greyhound racing hence the size of them if you ever wondered.

Thanks for explanation guys some polish speedway track(not all of them) share venues with football kinda like greyhound racing hence the size of them if you ever wondered.

In the Premier League Glasgow share with junior football team, Edinburgh with greyhounds, Berwick with Berwick Rangers (football), Workington with Rugby, Newcastle with greyhounds, Sheffield with greyhounds, Scunthorpe and Ipswich with 'bangers', Peterborough is within an arena complex which hosts shows and meetings and so Redcar, Rye House, Somerset and Plymouth are the only ones who have a stadium to themselves, although I think Redcar has some form of driving experience thing in the car park.

So u agree, ridiculous argument and the Poles should shove their proposed rule where the sun don't shine, knew you'd come round to my way of thinking

A bit of female logic going on there if you think that I've come round to your way of thinking on this, however, how about this for a solution?...

How about you arrange for your mate, Nigel Farage, to build an Iron Curtain to keep all things Polish in Poland, so that we British can get back to running our empire? ;):t::neutral:

Edited by uk martin

In the Premier League Glasgow share with junior football team

Which just to confuse things, doesn't involve 'junior' footballers at all...

Sincerely hope this rule backfires on Polish speedway, not that I spend much money over in Poland but I certainly will not until this rule is overturned.

It's done but there are 3 leagues. Ekstaliga + Rider's Home League + One more foreign with an additional rule of having an official agreement with the additional foreign league accepting the fact that Ekstraliga is most important (for example if a rider rides for Ekstraliga and Eliteserien and Ekstraliga meeting gets postopned and moved to another date and that date is a racing day in Sweden then the rider rides in Poland). For riders with no Home Leagues they're allowed to ride in Ekstraliga + two foreign leagues (both of those have to oficially accept the importance of Ekstraliga).

GREAT!!!

Source: http://sportowefakty.wp.pl/zuzel/636973/jest-decyzja-w-sprawie-ograniczenia-liczby-lig-dla-zawodnikow

First off I wouldn't take everything that Sportewefakty as gospel, secondly legally I cant see the PZM getting away with this in terms of employment law. Take Jason Doyle for example, he has already signed a contract with Swindon for next season to ride in the EL, if I`m right he can now ride in one of Poland or Sweden, that`s just not going to happen.

Can't see any issue with employment law (unless there are experts on polish law on here). Firstly he us not an employee. Secondly, I am sure the Polish club can quite legitimately insert a clause restricting his ability to take other contracts. He can take it or leave it. Thirdly, I imagine his contract with swindon either contains a clause allowing either party to terminate or is legally unenforceable (otherwise clubs would not be able to simply sack riders). Really don't understand people being up in arms on this, when do many have argued that British clubs should hire only riders committed to British speedway

Would add that Doyle under this propsal can ride in both England and sweden, but needs to commit to ekstraliga taking priority. Which if the uk had set race nights would not be an issue...

• Like 1

First off I wouldn't take everything that Sportewefakty as gospel, secondly legally I cant see the PZM getting away with this in terms of employment law. Take Jason Doyle for example,

he has already signed a contract with Swindon for next season to ride in the EL, if I`m right he can now ride in one of Poland or Sweden, that`s just not going to happen.

--

Can't see any issue with employment law (unless there are experts on polish law on here). Firstly he us not an employee. Secondly, I am sure the Polish club can quite legitimately insert a clause restricting his ability to take other contracts. He can take it or leave it. Thirdly, I imagine his contract with swindon either contains a clause allowing either party to terminate or is legally unenforceable (otherwise clubs would not be able to simply sack riders). Really don't understand people being up in arms on this, when do many have argued that British clubs should hire only riders committed to British speedway

Would add that Doyle under this propsal can ride in both England and sweden, but needs to commit to ekstraliga taking priority. Which if the uk had set race nights would not be an issue...

Employment laws does not have anything to do with it but the question is if this is regarded as a restriction of trade or similar. Most riders are self-employed

by their own company and then rents their services to various speedway clubs. I don't think a sports federation legally can restrict a company

from doing business in other countries or only allow them to do business in a certain amount of countries.

Edited by Ghostwalker

I would say they can have an exclusivity clause though, or partial exclusivity clause. It is up to the compsny/rider whether they sign up to such a contract

• Like 1

I would firstly imagine that any rider who is near the top of the GP standings can probably demand the removal of such terms in a contract, as Polish clubs would be just as keen to employ their services as any other club in any other country.

As a side issue, I can't imagine such a clause would be popular with riders from Denmark, Czech Republic etc etc where a league also operates, as if I am interpreting the situation correctly it would seem to infer that any rider that rides in their domestic leage would only be able to ride in 2 out of 3 from Elite League, Ekstraliga and Elitserien.

In the interests of 'fair play' it seems fair to me that the league that should take seniority should be the league that a rider first rides in, which in most instances would be a reflection of nationality.