Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
soupy

Edinburgh 2017

Davey is an Aussie, he joined Glasgow in 2008 with a visa to enter the country after he had entered the Australian state championships to meet the criteria to ride as an overseas rider in the U.K.,

Davey is an Aussie, he joined Glasgow in 2008 with a visa to enter the country after he had entered the Australian state championships to meet the criteria to ride as an overseas rider in the U.K.,

Got that wrong I'm afraid ,he has British passport now ,the delay in getting it meant he could not start for Edinburgh last year.
  • Like 1

Davey's average makes a huge difference to who Edinburgh can sign Would like to know what he's coming in on.

he has British passport now ,the delay in getting it meant he could not start for Edinburgh last year.

He also still has an Australian passport. He might have British citizenship but he's an Australian & therefore ineligible to be no.7.

Good luck to him but Edinburgh surely don't think he's going to be a 2 point No.7

Think you will find he's still an Aussie, he may have a British passport but if he was good enough he has already made it clear he would ride internationally for Australia when he first came to these shores, can't have it both ways, watch this space!

• Like 1

Think you will find he's still an Aussie, he may have a British passport but if he was good enough he has already made it clear he would ride internationally for Australia when he first came to these shores, can't have it both ways, watch this space!

However if the same approach as 2016 is followed, Davey is British as far as the SCB rules are concerned. The requirement is possession of a British passport (which as you point out is not the same as sole British nationality).

Cf Jade Mudgway's eligibility to ride in 2016.

• Like 1

Who really cares what nationality he comes in on good luck to the lad he deserves a break after all the injuries visa problems he has had, it doesn't affect my club so who Edinburgh sign has nothing to do with me.

Edited by Gazc
  • Like 8

Well said Gazc.

The lad seems well settled over here now so hardly should be treated as another Johnny Foreigner.

Needs to keep off the scaffolding though, or whatever it was he fell off a few months ago!!

Who really cares what nationality he comes in on good luck to the lad he deserves a break after all the injuries visa problems he has had, it doesn't affect my club so who Edinburgh sign has nothing to do with me.

But it is quite important when you have to have at least 2 British riders in your team.

Why not,it's Speedway were talking about

But it is quite important when you have to have at least 2 British riders in your team.

Not sure how the BSPA will view this it doesn't cause problems for any club other than Edinburgh but they have to make the correct decision otherwise it could open a whole can of worms for future reference . To me it's not so much about the rider but the rules involved, but good luck to the lad anyway.

• Like 1

Not sure how the BSPA will view this it doesn't cause problems for any club other than Edinburgh but they have to make the correct decision otherwise it could open a whole can of worms for future reference . To me it's not so much about the rider but the rules involved, but good luck to the lad anyway.

speedway itself, is a whole can of worms,,,

it might lead to more British passport applications in the future, if you know someone you want,,,

apparently if you come thru Calais, you might get 'fast-tracked' ;)

what absolute utter tosh I am reading on here, he has a british passport therefore he is british - end of discussion! He rode in the national league last season so the bspa have accepted that so it is time for everyone else to accept it and move on. You don't have to like it but that won't change it. He didn't get married to a Scots lass to be able to ride speedway in this country they have been together for a number of years and Edinburgh haven't pulled off some major coup bending rules to sign a world class rider, apart from cookie he is probably their only british asset so he had to be considered for one of the 2 british slots they are forced to have in the team this year.

I was there when Mitch had his big off at Sheffield, it was one of the worst accidents I have seen. just glad to see he is back able to ride it's been a long hard slog and I hope he makes a good go of it. With an injury free season I definitely think he can improve his starting average given the level of the league this year,

• Like 6

So if there was to be a Championship Great Britain test series match v Australia and Mark Lemon asked him to race for Australia he would say no I'm British, like hell he would !

I'm not against the boy racing but Edinburgh should have to sign a British rider as there 7th and final rider to go with Clegg. Only in speedway I'm afraid.

• Like 3