British Speedway Forum

It's a question that I have often asked as it doesn't ever seem to be properly confirmed one way or the other, so SCB was answering a question that I have asked before. And, before you assume it does, no it doesn't bother me.

Please see reply to SCB. Apologies, sent it to the wrong person.

My view on the Woffy situation has changed alot over the years. When he rode for Wolves in 2009 - he was breath of fresh air into our team.

He looked the real team player. His SGP success was amazing - I remember reading hit fitness routine prior to the 2013 season and thinking 'ya no what, hes gonna do alright'.

The season of 2014 when Freddie and Tai both didn't want to race in the UK (as they could see what Greg and Nicki were doing without it) kinda changed it all though.

Tai reluctantly did ride in 2014 but wasn't the same. He rode for Wolves with some bad injuries this year. He was never 100% comfortable at Monmore but still had some great races. I put this down to the fact he was riding with so many injuries and the lack of experience in the team at the time (no PK or Fred). Plus the pressure of being WC.

Then his decision to not race in the UK over Poland & Sweden was for me - at the time - a smart choice. However, since then I've seen less and less of Tai riding and I now just see him as another rider that used the GB tracks to hone his skills but now does not need us/them. I can't say he was wrong to do this but from a fan point of view - it is disappointing.

Then his decision to not race in the British final and now the SWC.

I honestly cannot understand the logic of this from the BSPA POV. Surely he adds to the potential revenue of these meetings. Give him Wild card into the British final, or at least make his Semi on a non-GP weekend???

The only part of me that disagrees with this logic however; is I do think we should be supporting riders that are loyal to the British leagues - and whilst we have 5-6 riders that are capable of competing in the top league (which Harris, Lambert, Cook, S Worrall and Ellis) with a few others close behind are - we should be giving them the SWC places. That said - if Tai was willing to ride for GB then one would have to make way. Maybe his departure from the SWC scene will enable these newer riders the chance - a bit like Greg not riding for the USA - it forces a newer members to step up.

Anyhow - Tai's views on twitter show he does care otherwise he wouldn't respond as he does.

It would be interesting to know the full details (not in a twitter post) but in a detailed press release) why he doesn't want to race in the GB team this year.

Blatantly obvious that a few Twitter trolls purely and simply were goading Tai over and over.

Wouldnt surprise me if it was Shovlar and Robert72 lol

Tai's comments were all in good jest at the start and then people got very personal and attacking him as a person and even his family.

Why should he have to take that abuse.

Ok maybe in the cold light of day he could have just stopped replying but these people were very very abusive as i say. In the end he had had enough and gave some back.

One particular troll who was giving him loads of grief , said in one tweet he was a disgrace not riding for the team and that he should eff off back to Aussie. Tai replied i dont care about the team your making it personal. The words i dont care about the team were then taken out of context.

And when you go over the tweets he got i would suggest 95% were supportive, you always get one or 2 morons.

Bit like this forum regarding Tai.........95% on his side

But still you get people like Shovlar and Robert72 saying he will get no support at Cardiff lol.

Though i would suggest Cookie may get louder cheers

You want to watch what you type. I do not use social media. Chances are it was you goading him. See what I did there?

Stop making up b@llocks.

My view on the Woffy situation has changed alot over the years. When he rode for Wolves in 2009 - he was breath of fresh air into our team.

He looked the real team player. His SGP success was amazing - I remember reading hit fitness routine prior to the 2013 season and thinking 'ya no what, hes gonna do alright'.

The season of 2014 when Freddie and Tai both didn't want to race in the UK (as they could see what Greg and Nicki were doing without it) kinda changed it all though.

Tai reluctantly did ride in 2014 but wasn't the same. He rode for Wolves with some bad injuries this year. He was never 100% comfortable at Monmore but still had some great races. I put this down to the fact he was riding with so many injuries and the lack of experience in the team at the time (no PK or Fred). Plus the pressure of being WC.

Then his decision to not race in the UK over Poland & Sweden was for me - at the time - a smart choice. However, since then I've seen less and less of Tai riding and I now just see him as another rider that used the GB tracks to hone his skills but now does not need us/them. I can't say he was wrong to do this but from a fan point of view - it is disappointing.

Then his decision to not race in the British final and now the SWC.

I honestly cannot understand the logic of this from the BSPA POV. Surely he adds to the potential revenue of these meetings. Give him Wild card into the British final, or at least make his Semi on a non-GP weekend???

The only part of me that disagrees with this logic however; is I do think we should be supporting riders that are loyal to the British leagues - and whilst we have 5-6 riders that are capable of competing in the top league (which Harris, Lambert, Cook, S Worrall and Ellis) with a few others close behind are - we should be giving them the SWC places. That said - if Tai was willing to ride for GB then one would have to make way. Maybe his departure from the SWC scene will enable these newer riders the chance - a bit like Greg not riding for the USA - it forces a newer members to step up.

Anyhow - Tai's views on twitter show he does care otherwise he wouldn't respond as he does.

It would be interesting to know the full details (not in a twitter post) but in a detailed press release) why he doesn't want to race in the GB team this year.

Agree with you on many points.

Its pretty obvious why some top riders don't ride here. Mainly financial, the traveling, having to have bikes and crew in the UK, racing on more than one night a week. Some riders have said some of the tracks are terrible and potentially dangerous especially Poole. I accept there stance, why race for lower pay on a poor track with the added hassle of getting flights on random nights during a week. Doubt its anything due to loyalty to GB speedway but instead for the reasons I have listed.

One thing that may see a change is that Sweden seems to have some financial problems so some riders might be tempted to come here rather than Sweden. Is Iversen still owed a big sum from 2016.

Stop making up b@llocks.

Chicken and Egg.

Edited by marky

You want to watch what you type. I do not use social media. Chances are it was you goading him. See what I did there?

Stop making up b@llocks.

have a little look before you get your knickers in a twist.

I put an lol after the comment................it was tongue in cheek as you are very quick to mention Tai in every post.

I never said it was you that made the comment.

You seem to be very touchy.........normal i guess for someone who dishes it out but cant take it back....

I agree. Maybe doing things the wrong way but obviously trying to help GB riders. I was listening to Craig Cook's interview during the play off on Saturday. He said Rossiter had a fitness expert with him for the Kings Lynn meeting and the guy was watching what the riders ate. Kebabs and pizza are off the menu in 2017. Maybe Woffy's comments from 2016 helped achieve that improvement..

I also saw a picture on social media of the team in a proper restaurant with, like, knives and forks and eveything.

Maybe Woffinden is being listened to and maybe these things are being done to help to tempt him back.

Edited by grachan
  • Like 1

I also saw a picture on social media of the team in a proper restaurant with, like, knives and forks and eveything.

Maybe Woffinden is being listened to and maybe these things are being done to help to tempt him back.

Any of them drinking a fizzy drink through a straw?

Give it a few more years, not many, and the flack given to TW could well also be given to Cookie, Lambert and any other up and coming who makes it big in the UK and clears off to where the money is ie riding Poland/Sweden/Denmark.

• Like 1

Why is Pearson wetting himself about the USA reaching the race-off? Buxton could have beaten the Czechs.

USA will be lucky if they score a point in the race-off.

I think because they know/understand that speedway here in "The Good Ol' U.S.ofA." is almost non-existent. 3 or 4 tracks in southern California - one in the Midwest - that's about it.

It's like Ice Hockey in Africa or something :)

And coming from this non-existent culture, we're trying (TRYING) to re-grow the sport here in America.

For us to even be there is a huge success - and then to get points, another step - and then to actually beat some of the competition . . . well, ya gotta start somewhere.

HB

• Like 3

I think because they know/understand that speedway here in "The Good Ol' U.S.ofA." is almost non-existent. 3 or 4 tracks in southern California - one in the Midwest - that's about it.

It's like Ice Hockey in Africa or something :)

And coming from this non-existent culture, we're trying (TRYING) to re-grow the sport here in America.

For us to even be there is a huge success - and then to get points, another step - and then to actually beat some of the competition . . . well, ya gotta start somewhere.

HB

It's good to see the US planning for the future. Rich tradition of good riders coming from over there and we certainly don't want less competing nations.

Luke Becker has definitely got a lot of potential. Hopefully a team place in the UK next year?

• Like 2

It's good to see the US planning for the future. Rich tradition of good riders coming from over there and we certainly don't want less competing nations.

Luke Becker has definitely got a lot of potential. Hopefully a team place in the UK next year?

Agree regarding Luke Becker,was ok last year,needs to get regular speedway in Europe though.
  • Like 1

Give it a few more years, not many, and the flack given to TW could well also be given to Cookie, Lambert and any other up and coming who makes it big in the UK and clears off to where the money is ie riding Poland/Sweden/Denmark.

Just as long as they still wanted to ride in the British Final and SWC I think most fans would understand.

SPOT ON. Like Soccer players from countries with lesser leagues, they learn their craft at home then go onto bigger and better things. Not the riders fault UK is no longer the #1 league...

Edited by RPNYC

Just as long as they still wanted to ride in the British Final and SWC I think most fans would understand.

Tai wanted to ride in the British Final last year...the daft dates prevented him from doing that. Even this season the Polish and Swedish finals are away from any GP'S. Seems the people who run the sport in this country dont do anything to help the better riders.

Even this season the first semi final was a day after the GP and the final 4 days before GP practice

Tai wanted to ride in the British Final last year...the daft dates prevented him from doing that. Even this season the Polish and Swedish finals are away from any GP'S. Seems the people who run the sport in this country dont do anything to help the better riders.

Even this season the first semi final was a day after the GP and the final 4 days before GP practice

You're not still banging that drum are you?

I think it's safe to say that if the 2015 final wasn't re-run with Cookie a mile in front, Tai would have found a way to get to Belle Vue last year to win it back.

This way he could retire as the undefeated champion.