Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum

Super meeting. Lovely wide track, well prepared with 4 teams fairly evenly matched. Lost count of the quality races. Well done to the Latvians. Hope they do themselves justice in Poland.

• Like 2

While people sit on here disrespecting the Latvians you'll all do well to remember they finished ahead of GB and Sweden in the World Cup about 4 years ago. They're hardly one meeting wonders.

As for the suggestion that Saturday was bad because of the riders in the meeting, Saturday was bad because it was at Kings Lynn that's been a dull, one line, no passing track for at least 5 seasons now.

While people sit on here disrespecting the Latvians you'll all do well to remember they finished ahead of GB and Sweden in the World Cup about 4 years ago. They're hardly one meeting wonders.

As for the suggestion that Saturday was bad because of the riders in the meeting, Saturday was bad because it was at Kings Lynn that's been a dull, one line, no passing track for at least 5 seasons now.

You haven't seen Lambert ride it very often 😊 I'll admit he's struggling this year to make inroads if he doesn't gate but he's performed some great overtaking manoeuvres in the last few years. Maybe it's down to will and skill of the riders...

Denmark manager must die on his sword. Poor. Talking after the event but no Kildermand or Andersen. MJJ and Madsen instead.

2016 dropped Pedersen controversially. That did not work. Made bad calls last 2 years and so he has to go. Embarrassing.

Edited by marky
  • Like 1

Superb meeting , well done Latvia.

I'm afraid team GB would have been swallowed up tonight!!

With 'supporters' like this, who needs enemies? Why can't we get behind our team and not write them off even before they go on track? Yes, two teams were unacceptably weak on Saturday (thanks Greg, going to give up your place at Cardiff to one of the kids as well?) but even so to drop just seven points when racing Australia deserves some respect!

Like I said before, there's being 'realistic' and there's being ridiculously negative. How do you know we couldn't have made the same impact as Latvia or an abject Denmark at least tonight?

Yes we might well finish stone last on Saturday but why oh why do we have to trash a little bit of success when it comes along and write the team off before they even get a chance?

Still, if anything would motivate them it's seeing the the abject lack of appreciation here for their efforts on Saturday.

Edited by Rob McCaffery
  • Like 6

I don't know but was this evenings track been ridden by most of the line up.Just wondered

Västervik has been in the Allsvenskan for a few years now, before that they were a regular in Elitserien. I'd say during the past few years, no.

With 'supporters' like this, who needs enemies? Why can't we get behind our team and not write them off even before they go on track? Yes, two teams were unacceptably weak on Saturday (thanks Greg, going to give up your place at Cardiff to one of the kids as well?) but even so to drop just seven points when racing Australia deserves some respect!

Like I said before, there's being 'realistic' and there's being ridiculously negative. How do you know we couldn't have made the same impact as Latvia or an abject Denmark at least tonight?

Yes we might well finish stone last on Saturday but why oh why do we have to trash a little bit of success when it comes along and write the team off before they even get a chance?

Still, if anything would motivate them it's seeing the the abject lack of appreciation here for their efforts on Saturday.

I don't think he was slagging GB off. Why though do we always have Australia, GB and 2 pretty weak teams at KL every year? I know Australia are not the team they were even with a fit Doyle, but GB can only beat what is put in front of them. I also think we would have struggled in Sweden ,but that in imo is not slagging the UK off just being realistic.

• Like 3

Västervik has been in the Allsvenskan for a few years now, before that they were a regular in Elitserien. I'd say during the past few years, no.

Track was also modified a few years ago and that change really improved the track.

The man behind the change is Morgan Andersson who is the team manager of both the local team and of the Swedish national team.

• Like 1

Super meeting. Lovely wide track, well prepared with 4 teams fairly evenly matched. Lost count of the quality races. Well done to the Latvians. Hope they do themselves justice in Poland.

Truly "proper speedway" proving that us dinosaurs don't have false memories of when matches were often like this ( not every one I know ). 10 X better than the entertainment from KL but I DO celebrate the GB team's success. The track allowed the riders to demonstrate how much they did want it - and they really did want to win. A bloody nose for Denmark who did not so much as fail but were beaten by the better teams on the night. To get a medal in Poland Team GB will have to also show that they can go for it as much, when not on home shale.

• Like 3

I thoroughly enjoyed the meeting - speedway out of the top drawer as Kelvin would say..

All credit to the Latvians, they made the most of their chances but I still feel the 'Joker' has no place in a serious competition.

Looking forward to Friday - should be quite a battle (USA excluded).

Edited by TonyE
  • Like 1

I thoroughly enjoyed the meeting - speedway out of the top drawer as Kevin would say..

All credit to the Latvians, they made the most of their chances but I still fee the 'Joker' has no place in a serious competition.

Looking forward to Friday - should be quite a battle (USA excluded).

I would describe it as a " TV competition " where artificial levelling is the order of the day to create an exciting event !!

Is Speedway any different to lets say Cricket`s fielding restrictions in one day comp`s or Touring cars ballast in cars.

I`m sure there are many more.

Kings Lynn has been poor for several seasons now but there is no doubt that if you swapped the two semis round the racing would have been better Saturday and worse last night. Unfortunately the line ups magnified the deficiencies of the AFA as a race track but it did serve up a belter of a meeting last night. In terms of shape and surface Vastervik looks light years ahead of Lynn.

Edited by Gordon Bennett
  • Like 2