Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum

Pretty much as expected tonight so no need to get to down .The Way Worrall has come on in the last two years has been amazing and it was mainly to due to the draft system that has been the making of him .The sad thing was Lambert thou he is still young he has not moved forward as much as he looked liked doing .cook was cook a fish out of water on that track and Harris as normal gave 100 % . The poles as still so young and likely to rule the roost for a long time as the uk sweden and the Danes don't look like they have much talent moving up the system.

The issue with Lambert is he's doing what Cook did. Happily plodding along in the PL (Championship), ok fair play he is having a go in Sweden and Poland but doesn't scoring big points in the PL give him too big a sense of self worth?

The making of Doyle was having the PL safety net taken away. Maybe Cook and Lambert need the same. About 4 years ago the BSPA brought in a "dobling up for 2 years only" rule, amazingly 2 years later they dropped it. Had they not then Cook and Lambert would be riding full time EL (Premiersip) now. Cook I have a little sympathy for, it was one bad meeting after two great meeting in the GP qualifiers but scoring easy points on the weekends can't help them step up when it comes to the SWC.

Why can the Swedes, Russians and Latvians step up when they have to but Brits rarely do? People are getting excited about Worrall and he did a little better than expected but he's still some way off being where we need him to do - but in his defence his career is moving forward year after year (that one terrible year just before the draft aside) and seemed to change his lines and style as the track changed tonight.

Anyway, good to hear Rosco say he's got a few meetings lined up for us in Poland in 2018.

edit - I feel Ive been a bit harsh in Worrall in this post reading it back. He did a good job tonight., He should be congratulated for that, he shoved his middle finger up at those who doubted his team place this week. And Im pleased for him. He was always the obvious choice.

Edited by SCB

The issue with Lambert is he's doing what Cook did. Happily plodding along in the PL (Championship), ok fair play he is having a go in Sweden and Poland but doesn't scoring big points in the PL give him too big a sense of self worth?

The making of Doyle was having the PL safety net taken away. Maybe Cook and Lambert need the same. About 4 years ago the BSPA brought in a "dobling up for 2 years only" rule, amazingly 2 years later they dropped it. Had they not then Cook and Lambert would be riding full time EL (Premiersip) now. Cook I have a little sympathy for, it was one bad meeting after two great meeting in the GP qualifiers but scoring easy points on the weekends can't help them step up when it comes to the SWC.

Why can the Swedes, Russians and Latvians step up when they have to but Brits rarely do? People are getting excited about Worrall and he did a little better than expected but he's still some way off being where we need him to do - but in his defence his career is moving forward year after year (that one terrible year just before the draft aside) and seemed to change his lines and style as the track changed tonight.

Anyway, good to hear Rosco say he's got a few meetings lined up for us in Poland in 2018.

edit - I feel Ive been a bit harsh in Worrall in this post reading it back. He did a good job tonight., He should be congratulated for that, he shoved his middle finger up at those who doubted his team place this week. And Im pleased for him. He was always the obvious choice.

It's not meetings he's lined up, he's just managed to blag some cut price saver tickets for the water slide.

Fair play to the lads for getting fourth, but you can see the gulf that exists when we leave the comfort zone of GB...

The BSPA need to get these lads on the continent, racing far more times than they currently have opportunities to do so...

When Sweden regularly got 10000 fans for their two Elite League play offs, it wasn't because Eskiltuna or Vagarna were doing well, it was because Tony Rickardsson had moved the Sport into the mainstream and his success at World level captured the countries imagination and domestically Speedway benefited..

Similar to Denmark. The all conquering Danish Team moved the sport forwards massively in the eyes of the Danish public and domestic Danish Speedway reaped the benefits on the back of it...

Cricket and Rugby realised a succesful national team boosts their club competitions massively and set about using central contracts to put the National Teams first..

Not for one minute do I believe Speedway could afford to do anything similar, but it could start to let their best riders race against truly World Class riders more through Teat Matches for instance....

Racing the 'odd heat' against a GP rider over here (who is probably earning his least amount of cash for what he does) with two other 'lower league riders' in the same race who wont be challenging you at the first turn, is hardly the same as five races against 15 World Class riders representing their country with passion and commitment...

Our lads needs more exposure against the very top riders to bridge that gap...

Do that and maybe a successful 'Team GB' will make the mainstream media sit up and take notice (like it did in the Seventies and early Eighties when we were successful) and the spin off for the domestic leagues will be better support from an interested public?

• Like 1

Typical Woffinden tweet. At least plenty on twitter are telling him he is out of order.

Fair play to the lads for getting fourth, but you can see the gulf that exists when we leave the comfort zone of GB...

The BSPA need to get these lads on the continent, racing far more times than they currently have opportunities to do so...

When Sweden regularly got 10000 fans for their two Elite League play offs, it wasn't because Eskiltuna or Vagarna were doing well, it was because Tony Rickardsson had moved the Sport into the mainstream and his success at World level captured the countries imagination and domestically Speedway benefited..

Similar to Denmark. The all conquering Danish Team moved the sport forwards massively in the eyes of the Danish public and domestic Danish Speedway reaped the benefits on the back of it...

Cricket and Rugby realised a succesful national team boosts their club competitions massively and set about using central contracts to put the National Teams first..

Not for one minute do I believe Speedway could afford to do anything similar, but it could start to let their best riders race against truly World Class riders more through Teat Matches for instance....

Racing the 'odd heat' against a GP rider over here (who is probably earning his least amount of cash for what he does) with two other 'lower league riders' in the same race who wont be challenging you at the first turn, is hardly the same as five races against 15 World Class riders representing their country with passion and commitment...

Our lads needs more exposure against the very top riders to bridge that gap...

Do that and maybe a successful 'Team GB' will make the mainstream media sit up and take notice (like it did in the Seventies and early Eighties when we were successful) and the spin off for the domestic leagues will be better support from an interested public?

AGREE with all of that and while it won't make them better riders ditching the Team GB tag would help. Believe me, that cuts no ice with the media.

• Like 2

As the World Cup as become a pointless exercise maybe the trophy should be awarded to Poland permanently and the competition discontinued as was the Worlds Best Pairs competion.

Typical Woffinden tweet. At least plenty on twitter are telling him he is out of order.

The guy is a dick and is doing all he can to antagonise British fans. It like he wants to be hated. Sad thing is if he was not such a knob his on track success could very easily make him one of the greats and most well liked British riders ever.

The guy got drilled by a load of morons a week ago and is having a bit of an F U moment which although I'm sure he knows it would rile a few people, he makes a well deserved point.

I don't know Tai that well but having spoken to him a few times about these sort of situations I can tell you that 'no comment' did not mean 'I told you so'

Rosco and a couple of the boys (Lambert aside) all had their subtle digs at him during this week when they had winning a weak event 1 Swagger about then. But people are selective on who's out of order aren't they

Edited by RPNYC
  • Like 2

The guy is a dick and is doing all he can to antagonise British fans. It like he wants to be hated. Sad thing is if he was not such a knob his on track success could very easily make him one of the greats and most well liked British riders ever.

And to think a couple of seasons ago I was cheering him on in the GP series. He will get a big cheer in Cardiff but I think there will be quite a few boos in the crowd as well.

And to think a couple of seasons ago I was cheering him on in the GP series. He will get a big cheer in Cardiff but I think there will be quite a few boos in the crowd as well.

It's never been my policy to boo a rider, I simply ignore them, even turn my back on them (never saw Hancock and Hamill do victory laps :wink: ). By booing them you are simply giving them attention

The guy got drilled by a load of morons a week ago and is having a bit of an F U moment which although I'm sure he knows it would rile a few people, he makes a well deserved point.

I don't know Tai that well but having spoken to him a few times about these sort of situations I can tell you that 'no comment'

did not mean 'I told you so'

Rosco and a couple of the boys (Lambert aside) all had their suble digs at him during this week when they had winning anweek event 1 Swagger about then. But people are selective on who's out of order aren't they

Don't see it that way at all. You say "a load of morons" but these are speedway fans fed up with his attitude towards his own country, whether it be not riding in our leagues, not riding in ourchampionship or not riding in the swc.

So what well deserved point is he making? TeamGB would have done better with him riding? True. But he has turned his back on his country. He deserves any crap thrown at him for disrespecting British speedway and its fans.

• Like 4

Anyone else (GB fan) on here not more frustrated that yet again we've turned up on equipment not up to scratch, the can't ride the correct lines, and we came stone bonker last?

Richie Worrall scoring 6 is a reason for us all (including me) to have a slight ray of hope. I'm bewildered. I love the effort and all that. But that is never an issue. How are we coming 4th to a Russian team with neither of the Lagutas and Emil scoring way less than most though he would on his home track. It's tragic. Shaking my head in disbelief yet again at a Brit performance

Edited by RPNYC

Ok, I'm done with Tai Woffinden.

Making social media all about him again when GB are racing.

I will not be supporting him at Cardiff and in the future.

I've tried hard to defend him in the past but his attitude during this World Cup has been to much.

• Like 2

It's never been my policy to boo a rider, I simply ignore them, even turn my back on them (never saw Hancock and Hamill do victory laps :wink: ). By booing them you are simply giving them attention

Only riders I've ever booed is Nicki because its what we do. Love to hate him. But otherwise you're right, silence is much better. Means you don't care and his being an antagonistic dickhead isn't working.