British Speedway Forum

The problem is Steve what do you do ?

I find there are a huge number of people on this forum who are nothing but critical but never come up with any alternative solutions.

We have seen both Belle Vue and Leicester almost go to the wall this season. Berwick were up for sale, Workington are in by the skin of their teeth and Plymouth are out. That suggests that what we had last season simply has to change - the one thing we can't do is stand still.

In the top flight, we could go all out to attract the big riders. One home meeting a fortnight, all on the same night (if that's possible). But its clear that would be a massive financial gamble with the possibility of breaking top flight speedway in this country for good.

I'd accept some might walk away because teams become weaker. Better that than take the huge risk getting the big riders in.

Cutting costs is a given and the promoters have delivered on that front again. However, there are alternatives - put the fans first and give them value for money. Give them a team that is exciting and successful, promote it, cost the admission prices appropriately and look to give them a good night out that doesn't mean presentation from the 70s, 15 heats and nothing else. Give good value for money and fans will come out and also it will attract new fans. Additionally sort out the rules and be transparent so there are not the annual dodgy moves from the south coast - put the credibility back and make it incredible and then the sport can move forward. Edited by Steve0

Value for money for me can be represented by full teams each week (ie minimal R/R and guests) good racing, close team strengths and regular fixtures, especially during the summer months. These are the key issues IMO rather than team strengths, the money just isn't there to pack the top league with big names. Remains to be seen how fixture clashes are going to be tackled. Price rises also need to be avoided.

Your last point about the rulebook is perhaps the most important, and the introduction of a transfer window is a good start.

Edited by Gordon Bennett
  • Like 5

Just want to say thanks guys for an informed, intelligent discussion. What these forums should be about really. Just to add, as an aces fan I attended most Aces and Colts matches last year and had the best season, racing wise, for simply years and years. Really stunned about the news this week so for me, just having racing to watch next year will be sufficient.

My only hope is that Mark Lemon and George Carswell are part of the promotion, we need some form of continuity. If I could have one more wish, it would be that Cookie is captain.

Thanks again and keep up the fine discussion.

• Like 2

It's a double edged sword really. The crowds dont pay for the riders in Sweden or Poland. It's all about sponsorship.

The clubs need to go and get massive sponsorship That pays for the riders

Unfortunately sponsorship (unless your at poole) seems to be hard to find

Clubs only probably get about 20k a season from there main team sponsor. That's not enough for the season.

Get sponsors in. Get it to £13 speedway and £10 in championship and flood the stadiums in

Following year we improve the product and keep improving it year on year.

Speedway over here needs to start from the bottom and build. This may take a few years

The question you have to ask though is have we got years left to save the sport in this country??

Im glad your mentioned Poole... ;) Speedway does start at the bottom, the NDL has brought on a few riders, so to a certain extent its done/doing its job, but unless you have parents with bottomless pits of money its a none starter for some as sponsorship would be very limited.. Makes you wonder how the like of your Havvys Mark lorams etc got to the top.. Thing is under this proposal we are going to alianate the big boys, but is that such a bad thing ?

Edited by Starman2006

The problem is Steve what do you do ?

I find there are a huge number of people on this forum who are nothing but critical but never come up with any alternative solutions.

We have seen both Belle Vue and Leicester almost go to the wall this season. Berwick were up for sale, Workington are in by the skin of their teeth and Plymouth are out. That suggests that what we had last season simply has to change - the one thing we can't do is stand still.

In the top flight, we could go all out to attract the big riders. One home meeting a fortnight, all on the same night (if that's possible). But its clear that would be a massive financial gamble with the possibility of breaking top flight speedway in this country for good.

I'd accept some might walk away because teams become weaker. Better that than take the huge risk getting the big riders in.

Not forgetting Lakeside of course.

Need to ask one question after what has been a bit of a hectic week to say the least,

Did or have Belle Vue sold any season tickets for the 2017 season, before the AGM and its disclosure of what's gone on, at the final meeting of 2016, and if so will these season tickets be honoured by any new promotion that may come in.

Need to ask one question after what has been a bit of a hectic week to say the least,

Did or have Belle Vue sold any season tickets for the 2017 season, before the AGM and its disclosure of what's gone on, at the final meeting of 2016, and if so will these season tickets be honoured by any new promotion that may come in.

As far as I'm aware, and this appears to be supported by the official website, no pricing announced for 2017 thus no season tickets sold.

Nope no season tickets for sale as of yet.

Nope no season tickets for sale as of yet.

What's happened to the good people who worked in the office?

I never like to hear about people at risk of losing their job, as I've been there myself and it isn't a barrel of laughs.

:t:

What's happened to the good people who worked in the office?

I never like to hear about people at risk of losing their job, as I've been there myself and it isn't a barrel of laughs.

Looking for new jobs

##########################################

I've give it ago. Belle vue 2017

C holder 12.01

Cook 9.88

S Worrall 8.51

Klindt 5.42

Jacobs 5.36

Bewley 4

Williamson 3.76 = 48.94

I'd love to add Richie to the team and swap it around but it's bloody hard

Edited by Phil The Ace

I suppose another question is whether or not a speedway promotion can afford all these jobs on the periphery of the the actual core business of running speedway racing??

Promoter/s

Track Curator

Team Manager

Electrician/Engineer

Office Manager

Health and Safety Officer

Are all the above needed 24/7 or 365 days of the year? Or just race night....

Who else is paid at most other speedway tracks? Except perhaps on race nights? And even then, a free entry and maybe a programme is all that's offered....

The NSS seemed to have the payroll of a football club with all the stewards, H & S bods, Clipboard Brigade..

The speedway would/should just be a facet of a stadium of this size, and would ultimately need an Events Manager/Coordinator, but who pays them in the early days, until the venue becomes self funding. Surely the likes of Chris Morton and co do not have the experience, budget, know-how to pull the whole NSS dream off...

Who was responsible for non speedway, funds generating activities???

I suppose another question is whether or not a speedway promotion can afford all these jobs on the periphery of the the actual core business of running speedway racing??

Promoter/s

Track Curator

Team Manager

Electrician/Engineer

Office Manager

Health and Safety Officer

Are all the above needed 24/7 or 365 days of the year? Or just race night....

Who else is paid at most other speedway tracks? Except perhaps on race nights? And even then, a free entry and maybe a programme is all that's offered....

The NSS seemed to have the payroll of a football club with all the stewards, H & S bods, Clipboard Brigade..

The speedway would/should just be a facet of a stadium of this size, and would ultimately need an Events Manager/Coordinator, but who pays them in the early days, until the venue becomes self funding. Surely the likes of Chris Morton and co do not have the experience, budget, know-how to pull the whole NSS dream off...

Who was responsible for non speedway, funds generating activities???

Clearly, you have a valid point in that there seem to have been quite a large number of people who were employed by the organization.

Possibly one of the complications may be involvement of Manchester City Council and it may well be the case that the contract stipulated that certain "standards" must be met and therefore certain people had to be employed.

When I have been to the venue, there were always loads of bods in hi-viz jackets who wanted to have a nosy in your bag and tell you where you couldn't go.

Why were all these hi-viz bods employed?

Possibly there was some stipulation in the contract that laid down the number of stewards that had to be in place in respect of the planned audience of over 2000 customers.

As you say, it all felt as though you were going to the Manchester City FC ground rather than little Belle Vue and that is probably because Manchester Council's other tie-up with a commercial sporting organization is with this footballing giant and clearly, somebody has tried to make the modus operandi of MCFC fit BVS and that was clearly illogical nonsense.

Anyway, to the small players in the office who answered my emails to the best of their ability, my best wishes.

Looking for new jobs

##########################################

I've give it ago. Belle vue 2017

C holder 12.01

Cook 9.88

S Worrall 8.51

Klindt 5.42

Jacobs 5.36

Bewley 4

Williamson 3.76 = 48.94

I'd love to add Richie to the team and swap it around but it's bloody hard

No Frick ?

No Frick ?

After what's gone on I wouldn't be sure he's even a Belle Vue asset.