British Speedway Forum

This is my worry to i posted the same thought on another thread.I just hope that if the BSPA want speedway to continue at Belle vue they have someone or a new promoter in place getting a competitive team together for next year.Because as you say if the same thing happens as it did in 2007 when the new promoters took over late and we had a very poor team of left over riders that other teams did not want then we are in big trouble.The die hard fans will still stand behind the club if they field a very poor team as they did in 2007 but the new /returning fans i would think will not so the gates will fall in a big way.So a poor team will lead to poor crowds and without good crowds to bring in the money any new promoter will need to make a go of the club will not be there.

A poor team will leave Belle vues future looking very bleak.

It already looks pretty bleak to me.

It already looks pretty bleak to me.

Might not be quite so bad. I have been told that a new promotion will be announced shortly.

• Like 6

That's reassuring as I have become a little anxious but trust posts from Halifaxtiger. The sooner the promotion is in place, the sooner we can get signing the likes of Cookie and the Worralls.

• Like 1

Cookie might be the new promoter?! No not that Cookie!! :-) ;-)

This is my worry to i posted the same thought on another thread.I just hope that if the BSPA want speedway to continue at Belle vue they have someone or a new promoter in place getting a competitive team together for next year.Because as you say if the same thing happens as it did in 2007 when the new promoters took over late and we had a very poor team of left over riders that other teams did not want then we are in big trouble.The die hard fans will still stand behind the club if they field a very poor team as they did in 2007 but the new /returning fans i would think will not so the gates will fall in a big way.So a poor team will lead to poor crowds and without good crowds to bring in the money any new promoter will need to make a go of the club will not be there.

I'm sure the BSPA are doing their best to arrest the situation as they would not want to be running the show themselves, yet realising for the good of the SGB Premiership, it needs a competitive team assembled. A facility like Belle Vue cannot be lost to the sport.

The biggest hurdle is obviously the weekly rent payment. I think the best solution would be going back to what we did at the Dog Hole, open the turnstiles, pay a rent, pay the riders (hopefully!), get the other costs that come with running a meeting out of the way and clear off home. As for the usage of the facility we HAD, it would be better for the City Council to appoint a Stadium Commercial Manager themselves. He in turn would maximise what happens with the Artificial Centre Green, together with drumming up the use of the stadium for Conferences, functions etc. Funnily enough, I suspect that is exactly what messr's Gordon and Morton would have been expected to do. Sadly, I don't think they did to any great extent, which is where the extra income would have been of great assistance to the club.

However, that is water under the bridge now, whats done is done and we must collectively to support the club and whoever the new promoter(s) are. Speedway itself I feel is at the crossroads and it must do things correctly. It cannot afford to lose tracks. We cannot possibly compete with Poland and Sweden in money terms. They both seem to be backed by heavy sponsorship, wheras we are not and must live within our means. What would be interesting is should either of those two hit the rocks big time, would the riders who deserted be clamouring to return. My answer would be YES, you can come back, but on our terms. If we are to move forward again, it must be done slowly and within the limits.

I'm eagerly awaiting to see who the new people are, I say people because it definitely will not be a one man job!

• Like 2

I'm sure the BSPA are doing their best to arrest the situation as they would not want to be running the show themselves, yet realising for the good of the SGB Premiership, it needs a competitive team assembled. A facility like Belle Vue cannot be lost to the sport.

The biggest hurdle is obviously the weekly rent payment. I think the best solution would be going back to what we did at the Dog Hole, open the turnstiles, pay a rent, pay the riders (hopefully!), get the other costs that come with running a meeting out of the way and clear off home. As for the usage of the facility we HAD, it would be better for the City Council to appoint a Stadium Commercial Manager themselves. He in turn would maximise what happens with the Artificial Centre Green, together with drumming up the use of the stadium for Conferences, functions etc. Funnily enough, I suspect that is exactly what messr's Gordon and Morton would have been expected to do. Sadly, I don't think they did to any great extent, which is where the extra income would have been of great assistance to the club.

However, that is water under the bridge now, whats done is done and we must collectively to support the club and whoever the new promoter(s) are. Speedway itself I feel is at the crossroads and it must do things correctly. It cannot afford to lose tracks. We cannot possibly compete with Poland and Sweden in money terms. They both seem to be backed by heavy sponsorship, wheras we are not and must live within our means. What would be interesting is should either of those two hit the rocks big time, would the riders who deserted be clamouring to return. My answer would be YES, you can come back, but on our terms. If we are to move forward again, it must be done slowly and within the limits.

I'm eagerly awaiting to see who the new people are, I say people because it definitely will not be a one man job!

My understanding is that full use of the stadium was a stipulation of those coming in.

It could be the case, then, that they got the Aces with the stadium rather than the other way around.

There was/is a stadium manager and a sales executive. Various events have been held, including a business conference which was held there a few days ago. A number of events are advertised leading up to Christmas. Unfortunately, like with any new facility it takes time to build up the business and I suspect that next year would and still can produce significantly more income.

Speedway couldn't survive at the dog track and the only way it will have a chance now is not by returning there or, to that financial model but by increasing the crowds and the income from the bars, food outlets and the Peter Craven suite. The planned academy needs to be up and running and other money making ideas implemented like, training days, flat track racing, sidecars etc.

Edited by Aces51
  • Like 2

There was/is a stadium manager and a sales executive. Various events have been held, including a business conference which was held there a few days ago. A number of events are advertised leading up to Christmas. Unfortunately, like with any new facility it takes time to build up the business and I suspect that next year would and still can produce significantly more income.

Speedway couldn't survive at the dog track and the only way it will have a chance now is not by returning there or, to that financial model but by increasing the crowds and the income from the bars, food outlets and the Peter Craven suite. The planned academy needs to be up and running and other money making ideas implemented like, training days, flat track racing, sidecars etc.

I think you are absolutely right.

Even if speedway could survive on its own, it would be foolish not to use the stadium to its maximum potential.

Looking forward to any news this week. On a related subject, has anyone information on George Carswell's position. He's listed as Promoter in the programme so I rather assume he has been 'struck off' with Gordon and Morton but have seen no reference to how he might have been linked to the financial problems.

At the final two Colt's meetings he seemed very confident of running the Colts next year and he always appeared to be the one responsible for the Colts.

I also believe that the Worralls, Fricke and Kyle Bickley are signed to and by him rather than by the club. If this is the case do these signing revert to the BSPA or does he still 'own' them in the way Rick Frost held the registration of several Peterborough riders.

I really hope that George is part of the new promotion not only to provide a link but because he appeared a genuine guy who had BV speedway at heart. Any views or information?

• Like 1

This is precisely why speedway in this country is stuffed. You have arguably the best track in World speedway but fans wont turn out in numbers unless your winning. Never figured this out, no team can be successful every year, that's one of the successes of the points system but fans only want to watch a winning team. 2008 at Wolves was one of the best seasons ever for racing at Monmore, 8 last heat deciders if I remember,the racing was ten times better than this season when we won the league.Give me great racing every week over watching successful teams with no passing. Maybe its me !

• Like 2

I am the same. What I remember from this year is the best racing I have seen for many years not the number of matches that we won.

• Like 3

Going back over the years it has never bothered me the winning part,Swindon i think in that time have come bottom three or four times.As long as i see half decent racing i am happy what ever happened to a team having nearly the same team for two or three years.Now the sport is ruled by averages the sport needs to go back to trying to produce a good night out and from what i saw last year Belle Vue provided that.

• Like 2

I just hope that tyhe deal with the new promoter is announced sooner rather than later.

Then the real business of setting up for 2017 can begin

• Like 1

Any rumours of who BV will sign.

Fricke and Cook are musts. Will Zagar return??

I would have thought Zagar and Cook plus a Worrall. Then maybe a 2-3 point rider and possibly Joe Jacobs.