British Speedway Forum

Some tracks seem to think that two Brits per team is the maximum not minimum.

You get fed up with this Brit stuff . Must a club have to make do with an under performing rider just because he's British ?

• Like 4

Pitty a young Brit has had to make way

I'm sure Howarth and Newman felt the same at Poole for years.

It's a business game.

I'd rather we had as many Brits as possible in all teams but they still need to perform or be replaced. Simple.

Schlein is a logical signing. Riss struggled in his first season in the UK last season and starts reserve with the Monarchs this year. I doubt he can do any worse than we currently have been getting from our number 6.

Greaves probably earned his stay with excellent effort on Tuesday and as the FTR representative. We still have a long wagging tail in reserve.

No it wouldn't. It means that the point limit effectively increases by 15% at tgat point. For example if wolves had started with a different 7, they could then redeclare with their current 7 but with someone like KK instead of clegg.

Ah yes, good point.

Clegg is the most overrated rider in Britain and hasn't progressed in 3 years

He progressed well 2nd half of last season . What a daft thing to say.

• Like 1

He progressed well 2nd half of last season . What a daft thing to say.

Progressed well? Where? I've watched him get passed by Luke Ruddick and get beat on his home track by an Austrian that had never heard of 'Armadale' 3rd season at Edinburgh and Wolves now? I've seen extremely little progression.

Progressed well? Where? I've watched him get passed by Luke Ruddick and get beat on his home track by an Austrian that had never heard of 'Armadale' 3rd season at Edinburgh and Wolves now? I've seen extremely little progression.

2014 NL 8.58

2015 NL 9.72 PL 3.48

2016 NL 10.08 PL 4.34

Progressed every year so far.

• Like 1

As your name states"no idea"..you ain't got a clue what your talking about.max progressed so much the latter half of last season,nlrc champion oh and under19 British champion.thats progress.as for his form so far,again you ain't got a clue what's going on with equipment etc,max and his mechanic have been working round the clock trying to sort things out.i am sure he will appreciate your possotive comments though.🤡.

Best of luck to max .

• Like 4

As your name states"no idea"..you ain't got a clue what your talking about.max progressed so much the latter half of last season,nlrc champion oh and under19 British champion.thats progress.as for his form so far,again you ain't got a clue what's going on with equipment etc,max and his mechanic have been working round the clock trying to sort things out.i am sure he will appreciate your possotive comments though..

Best of luck to max .

It's evident to anyone that watches speedway regularly that he has progressed.

His averages bear that out.

• Like 2

Rory Schlein will massively improve this Wolves team an so will Riss, great work from Wolves and certain contenders for the title now.

Must a club have to make do with an under performing rider just because he's British ?

That is a short term statement (with respect). You're right, as things stand. Brits have no more right to a team place than anyone else. But is this how we want it to be? Do we want to be nowhere on the World stage 10 years from now? Or now if you're honest. Well I was reminded of some history yesterday. Back in the 70's Ipswich were renowned for having a British side. Next to no foreigners. And why? Well they invested in their youth. There was a strong link with the Kent Motorcycle Club and in turn the grasstrack scene. We have lost our place in the European speedway hierarchy and we can no longer expect the best to come here just because. We have to go back to grass roots and build from within. There are some good signs with the British youth championships but it's not enough. If we continue to (try and) import solutions to our junior team slots we will 1) never be a world force (oh I know we got a 2nd in the WTC but come on) and 2) never get our operating costs under control (and that's the start of a lingering death).

To think that until recent years this Wolves promotion were being criticised for showing too much loyalty to riders in a team that clearly wasn't strong enough. They have certainly been pro-active the last couple of seasons and we are seeing the benefits

• Like 2

Clegg hasn't progressed enough though. I'm not going to argue that he hasn't progressed because the numbers suggest otherwise, but compare him to Steve Worrall for example over the same time period.

It's not even a contest.

2 solid changes for wolves, now a certain play off team although I still don't think they will travel particularly well

I'm all for backing Brits but Clegg has failed massively so far this season. It's just not worked for him so understand why he's been dropped.

Yes we have to back the Brits but Wolves have to try and win too.