Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum

These latest changes mean that Wolverhampton's "team" now includes five riders who belong to and also race for other clubs. Where is the sense in having rules that allow riders to race for two or even three different teams? Just what benefits has this nonsensical rule brought for speedway? No other serious sport would allow anything like this so it's no wonder that the outside world laughs at speedway.

Do these riders who continually bleat the parrot cry that they can't make racing pay unless they race for two teams ever stop to consider the unfortunate fellow riders who because of this, don't have places in any team?

This rule is now completely out of hand and though I detest it, I accept that for the time being at least, we can't do without it, but for pity's sake let's work towards getting shut of it instead of trying to expand it still further!

Absolutely spot on. It's just become a circus with the same riders rocking up in different team suits. It's no longer a team sport representative of the towns and cities the clubs are suppossed to represent.

The riders have way too much power and the sport serves them before it's lifeblood; the fans.

• Like 2

Because if they only raced for one team they would have to get a job outside of speedway to make ends meet, and it wouldn't then be a professional sport. That would be a massive step backward and be the beginning of the end for British speedway

total rubbish Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 1

Good to see Mark Riss top scoring with 12 points for Edinburgh tonight. :t:

I knew the seven selected wouldn't be title contenders when it was announced, in all fairness Howarth who was my wasn't my biggest doubt before Skornicki who hadn't ridden a bike for two years has been doing fine, Wolves reserves have been pitiful as expected. If Wolves can share the Skornicki points between a useful second string & a reasonable reserve moving Howarth to 4. You may save your season.

I knew the seven selected wouldn't be title contenders when it was announced, in all fairness Howarth who was my wasn't my biggest doubt before Skornicki who hadn't ridden a bike for two years has been doing fine, Wolves reserves have been pitiful as expected. If Wolves can share the Skornicki points between a useful second string & a reasonable reserve moving Howarth to 4. You may save your season.

Why would you want to move Howarth to 4? He is doing a good job at 2, don't fix what isn't broke just slot Schlein in at 3

• Like 2

Why would you want to move Howarth to 4? He is doing a good job at 2, don't fix what isn't broke just slot Schlein in at 3

Must agree Howarth as started the season really well leave him were he is doing a good job a long side Freddie.

• Like 2

Good to see Mark Riss top scoring with 12 points for Edinburgh tonight. :t:

and max finishing on a win and a paid win.AND man of the match. :t: Hopefully he is getting his equipment finally sorted.

Good luck max.

• Like 1

and max finishing on a win and a paid win.AND man of the match. :t: Hopefully he is getting his equipment finally sorted.

Good luck max.

Hadn't noticed Max's score but that's good news for the lad.

total rubbish

Really!! Exactly how much do you think they get paid per point? And don't forget they only race for half the year. To be totally honest I think it's you who's talking rubbish

Really!! Exactly how much do you think they get paid per point? And don't forget they only race for half the year. To be totally honest I think it's you who's talking rubbish

i know exactly how much riders earn , I also know how much it costs to ride , I could go into some exact figures but I'm not going to as it's not my place to put riders earnings in to public demain
  • Like 1

i know exactly how much riders earn , I also know how much it costs to ride , I could go into some exact figures but I'm not going to as it's not my place to put riders earnings in to public demain

So how exactly would you entice the top riders to come and ride here when they can earn substantially more in Poland and Sweden.

PS I doubt very much the likes of Nathan Greaves could make a living riding for just one team, regardless of what you think you know

So how exactly would you entice the top riders to come and ride here when they can earn substantially more in Poland and Sweden.

PS I doubt very much the likes of Nathan Greaves could make a living riding for just one team, regardless of what you think you know

He knows CMW. If you pop back in the thread to before Adam was released and read the posts from TDM all will become clear.

He knows CMW. If you pop back in the thread to before Adam was released and read the posts from TDM all will become clear.

irrespective of my various rolls I may of had in the sport I am just a fan sick to death of doubling up , speedway is a team sport and when you ride for a team , you are that team not just when it suits you , as much as I know how much riders are paid here and abroad im not interested in riders earnings or if they can make a living at speedway , what I am interested in is speedway and it's future Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 3

irrespective of my various rolls I may of had in the sport I am just a fan sick to death of doubling up , speedway is a team sport and when you ride for a team , you are that team not just when it suits you , as much as I know how much riders are paid here and abroad im not interested in riders earnings or if they can make a living at speedway , what I am interested in is speedway and it's future

I agree 100%. After nearly 50 years of being an avid speedway fan, I stopped going to meetings last year, and havent been at all this season. I used to average at least 2 meetings a week, and hardly ever missed a Rockets home meeting. The main reason I have lost interest is because of doubling up. I can accept riders missing because of injury, but not because they are riding for another team. Doubling up should be limited to up and coming riders between National League and Championship teams only.

No rider should be riding full time for a team in the Championship and another team in the Premiership.

It is crazy that riders like Stefan Nielsen, Joe Jacobs, Matthew Wethers & Theo Pijper have not got a team spot, and others are riding for 2 or even 3 teams. These riders would all do a good job at Championship level, and if they do not get a place soon, could be lost to the sport.

If riders cannot make the sport pay just riding for one team, then they can get a full or part time job. In the late 60s and 70s, it was only the top riders who rode full time. Most of the first division second strings and reserves and second division riders had their own business, or full time/part time jobs. Riders should realise that the crowds do not justify most of them making a full time living at speedway.

Teams used to be mainly local riders who represented that area, and many had progressed from the second halves. Nowadays, teams are just a collection of riders, whos averages fit for the season.

• Like 3

As a former rider himself, with a fairly long career, I think he knows more than you imagine. I doubt Greaves would make a living no matter how many leagues he's in but everyone starts at the bottom.

• Like 1