Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum

British Speedway can only have two leagues, if I were in charge I would have...

PREMIERSHIP

Belle Vue

Poole

Swindon

Rye House

Glasgow

Somerset

Leicester

Wolverhampton

Kings Lynn

Ipswich

Sheffield

Edinburgh

Peterborough

Lakeside

CHAMPIONSHIP

Berwick

Redcar

Workington

Scunthorpe

Newcastle

Birmingham

Buxton

Cradley

Eastbourne

Kent

Isle of Wight

Mildenhall

Stoke

Plymouth

Championship would be closee to the national league so current championship second strings would likely be heat leaders ride home and away once plus a cup competition = 26-32 meetings not including play offs for top 4.

Premiership would need to give riders the chance to earn so need meetings.

14 teams can produce 26 meetings home and away once, a knock out cup competition two legs per round, plus a league cup competition to start the season two leagues of 7 you ride 3 home, 3 away top 4 from each group progress into 2nd round which is 2 groups of 4, top two progress from each group to the final group of 4 two home and two away legs winner of group is league cup champion.

Thats a good 40-50 meetings worth there

Minimum average in the top league is 5 this is to stop lower averaged riders being thrown in the top tier although it works well for a few

Ipswich for example could have

1. King

2. L.Bjerre

3. Covatti

4. Bates

5. Schlein

6. Heeps

7. Wilson Dean

Example based on all achieving a minimum of 5 avg.

As much as the doubling up rule makes no sense to people who don't follow speedway, surely it is common sense to those that do. Riders cannot make a decent living riding for one club only. Top riders have been riding for more than one club for years, albeit in different countries, now there are the opportunities for lesser riders to improve their income by riding in more than one club in the UK.

Unless you are prepared to put lots of money into the sport to make it possible for a rider to pay his mortgage riding for one club, this is something that isn't going to change.

Where I do agree is that to have play offs at the end of the season between clubs in two leagues that could include the same riders in their normal team is a stupid idea. A deciding heat 15 between Sam Masters and Rider Replacement for Sam Masters.

• Like 1

no idea what this has to do with Wolves 2017

wolves have 5 double uppers

British Speedway can only have two leagues, if I were in charge I would have...

PREMIERSHIP

Belle Vue

Poole

Swindon

Rye House

Glasgow

Somerset

Leicester

Wolverhampton

Kings Lynn

Ipswich

Sheffield

Edinburgh

Peterborough

Lakeside

CHAMPIONSHIP

Berwick

Redcar

Workington

Scunthorpe

Newcastle

Birmingham

Buxton

Cradley

Eastbourne

Kent

Isle of Wight

Mildenhall

Stoke

Plymouth

Championship would be closee to the national league so current championship second strings would likely be heat leaders ride home and away once plus a cup competition = 26-32 meetings not including play offs for top 4.

Premiership would need to give riders the chance to earn so need meetings.

14 teams can produce 26 meetings home and away once, a knock out cup competition two legs per round, plus a league cup competition to start the season two leagues of 7 you ride 3 home, 3 away top 4 from each group progress into 2nd round which is 2 groups of 4, top two progress from each group to the final group of 4 two home and two away legs winner of group is league cup champion.

Thats a good 40-50 meetings worth there

Minimum average in the top league is 5 this is to stop lower averaged riders being thrown in the top tier although it works well for a few

Ipswich for example could have

1. King

2. L.Bjerre

3. Covatti

4. Bates

5. Schlein

6. Heeps

7. Wilson Dean

Example based on all achieving a minimum of 5 avg.

I wouldn't have Lakeside in either, unless they get another track.

As much as the doubling up rule makes no sense to people who don't follow speedway, surely it is common sense to those that do. Riders cannot make a decent living riding for one club only. Top riders have been riding for more than one club for years, albeit in different countries, now there are the opportunities for lesser riders to improve their income by riding in more than one club in the UK.

Unless you are prepared to put lots of money into the sport to make it possible for a rider to pay his mortgage riding for one club, this is something that isn't going to change.

Where I do agree is that to have play offs at the end of the season between clubs in two leagues that could include the same riders in their normal team is a stupid idea. A deciding heat 15 between Sam Masters and Rider Replacement for Sam Masters.

Where has this sudden belief that riders have to earn enough for speedway to be their sole job come from?

That used to be the domain of the better riders.

Even back in 1996 riders such as James Grieves and Stewart McDonald in the Wolves side were employed in normal jobs. Indeed that was the norm for riders at their level and the league below.

• Like 5

With the line-ups for the 2 British semi-finals announced today, does that mean that Rory Schlein counts as one of Wolves Brits?! ;-)

With the line-ups for the 2 British semi-finals announced today, does that mean that Rory Schlein counts as one of Wolves Brits?! ;-)

And folk were complaining Wolves weren't looking after the Brits :)

• Like 3

Why isn't Adam Skornicki in as well seeing he is on a British licence too?

Why isn't Adam Skornicki in as well seeing he is on a British licence too?

does he have citizenship too?....
  • Like 1

Just commenting to get to the last page on my phone. Just ignore this comment :)

Edited by MonarchsMitchy
  • Like 1

Congratulations to Freddie lad.may his form continue. 2nd in Gp

• Like 2

Leading the world too.

Freddie has had a few lean seasons but looks like the Freddie of old.

Makes me smile too considering there are a few who have said he is a spent force and is on the decline. :t:

• Like 2

Leading the world too.

Freddie has had a few lean seasons but looks like the Freddie of old.

Makes me smile too considering there are a few who have said he is a spent force and is on the decline. :t:

Assuming he's still on them, maybe, after a year, he's now got the GTR motors exactly where he wants them? :unsure:

• Like 2