British Speedway Forum

Stops too much manipulation

I expect Poole will still manage some.

Which is why I don't think there will be a 3rd Brit at Monmore, the Howarth signing seems down to that to me. So American Wells would somewhat makes sense as 3rd heat leader. But that only gives you an extra 1.05 to play with for the final 2 riders. 10.58.

no thanks to Wells, an uninspiring rider who I don't think has any improvement left in him

How did Wolverhampton become Champions ?

They started the season with a number one who had an average of just 6.80 while others had GP stars or consistent seven plus heat leaders. Many predicted they would miss the play offs and would be one of the kicking boys of the season with only Leicester saving them from the wooden spoon.

The reason or reasons they won the title must be remembered as the same plan and thinking appears to have gone out of the window. Yes they had the number one draft reserve in Howarth on 5.53 but that advantage never paid dividends as many other reserves out scored him, averaged more and in some cases held a heat leader role for a time.Howarth however only broke out of reserves for a short spell and failed to dominate the reserve berths as expected.

The reasons they won the title is largely down to having riders on modest averages who can improve like Thorssell 6.18, Lindgren 6.11 and Masters 5.60 with all three adding at least a point to their averages and holding down regular heat 15 nominations. They also met teams at the right time which is lucky for anyone but they also found replacements at the right time in PK for Bech and Woffinden for the dethroned 6.80 number one of Kylmakorpi.

Lindgren maybe able to get close to a ten average but should drop a little and while Thorssell improved a lot, if he can average 8.5 he will do well. However Howarth starts on a 7.18 average gained from his Premier League rides this season in a league where he never faced the likes of Harris, Nicholls, Thorssell, Lindgren, Andersen, Kasprzak, Doyle, Fricke, Batchelor, Iversen etc etc etc so how can he be expected to get within two points of that figure. Even if he averages 5.18, a drop of two points, it's only just an improvement on his EL average which was mainly at reserve against draft riders and number sevens.

Don't get me wrong, much of this can be said about any rider moving his PL average into the Premiership as it's an average they now have to carry in a stronger league just like Jack Holder, Stuart Robson, Lasse Bjerre etc etc. Take Kevin Wolbert for example, who is going to track him in the top league on an 8.00 average when you have experienced riders like Batchelor, Schlein, Watt etc on lower averages.

The intial thought was fine, but riders holding a PL average should have been reduced by 1.2 and EL averages increased possibly by 1.4 Therefore Howarth and Holder would be 5.98 but Schlein would be still be 7.17 which is more realistic. Also Adam Ellis starts for Swindon on 7.84 after one season where he started as a 3.00 number seven and racked up big points in the draft races. Had he of raced in the PL he maybe would have averaged less than that so take off a point to make him 6.84 and more attractive to a Championship team to double up.

So no bargains in the team due to inflated averages and an asset on a bargain and achievable average has gone elsewhere so what's the plan for the final three as these signings will be crucial.

Do they go with a top three including Masters and therefore start with a weak reserve pairing of Clegg and a lower ranked rider or sign two seven pointers and still have a low reserve. Or the other option being to sign three riders that can all back up the top two and have a stronger reserve and keep Clegg as the number seven ?

Whichever way, a promising and potential strong second string is required to help Howarth and that could be anyone like Batchelor, Schlein, Berge, Riss or Museliak who are either experienced or big potential and World U21 finalists.

1 LINDGREN

2 Museliak

3 HOWARTH

4 Berge or Riss

5 THORSSELL

6 Wilson-Dean or Lambert

7 CLEGG

Edited by INCOGNITO

What about

Fred 10.09

Jacob 9.89

Sam 8.97

Kyle 7.18

Schlein 7.17

Max 4.34

? J p blackburn 2.00

--------

That's the best team wolves could come up with now. Would defo get top 4

• Like 2

I hope wolves played hardball and have sold klindt rather than loaned him out. I'd be heartbroken in I was you guys. . . . . And to them too!......

I hope wolves played hardball and have sold klindt rather than loaned him out. I'd be heartbroken in I was you guys. . . . . And to them too!......

CVS and Ford are mates.

Scratch my back,i,ll scatch yours.

• Like 1

CVS and Ford are mates.

They were, until the semi final :D

CVS and Ford are mates.

I hope they can see their respective backs to scratch in that very dark room. :D

Edited by Dave Jones

CVS and Ford are mates.

Hardly that, I would have thought.

CVS has always maintained that riders will ride where they wish to do so. It's rare that he continually tries to persuade a rider to sign if he senses initial reluctance.

Personally I'm a bit concerned that we might be heading in the direction of one of those 'rabbit from the hat' three-pointers (now two-pointers!) of whom no-one else has heard previously, a la Stichauer and Burmeister. Both gave of their best and there were other reasons why it didn't work out, but even so...

I await Stevebrum's bulletin with fascination!

Hardly that, I would have thought.

CVS has always maintained that riders will ride where they wish to do so. It's rare that he continually tries to persuade a rider to sign if he senses initial reluctance.

Personally I'm a bit concerned that we might be heading in the direction of one of those 'rabbit from the hat' three-pointers (now two-pointers!) of whom no-one else has heard previously, a la Stichauer and Burmeister. Both gave of their best and there were other reasons why it didn't work out, but even so...

I await Stevebrum's bulletin with fascination!

Those are pretty depressing thoughts. I hope you're way off!

• Like 1

Those are pretty depressing thoughts. I hope you're way off!

So do I!

Edit: Not easy though, is it? Masters would mean some very low averages at the bottom end; no Masters would surely mean less firepower in the top five. Hmmm...

Edited by Fourentee