Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum

The issue with Clegg is he's the lead reserve. I'm sure he'd be okay if someone came in to take that role. He's being asked to carry greaves and that is clearly a pressure he can't handle.

Last year he had Howarth. This year, and it's the old format as well, he's out on his own against some decent riders. He's never going to beat them.

• Like 2

As I've been saying for over a decade now it's far too early to be worrying about your team. You got three points, do that for the rest of the year and grab a few bonus points on the road (you don't need to win) and you'll be well in the mix for fourth. Then start to worry about your team and make changes accordingly.

We all know how it works - don't we?

But what other options are there? Are there better riders in the National League we could turn to? Or does Skornicki need to be sacrificed to restructure the team?

Danyon Hume is already better than Greaves. Although he already rides for Birmingham and Ipswich so availability may be an issue.

The issue with Clegg is he looks like he's riding Monmore for the first time.

he's ridden there for how many years now ?

should at least have the right lines of the track nailed down

Whilst everyone jumps up and down that we are a four man team, they are once again forgetting we are built as a top heavy side. Let's take a little look at just who the riders are winning and losing against in our two league meets so far.

The codes here are:-

WH: Won against higher average opponent

WL: Won against lower average opponent

LH: Lost against higher average opponent

LL: Lost against lower average opponent

Lindgren: WL 14, LL 6

Howarth: WH 4. WL 9, LH 5, LL 0

Skornicki: WH 3, WL 4, LH 6, LL 3

Thorssell: WL 9, LL 7

Masters: WH 5, WL 3, LH 6, LL 3

Clegg: WL 1. LL 2, LH 10

Greaves: LH 16

The biggest problem thus far is Thorssell He is not there to be a second string anymore, He's our second heat leader taking up nigh on 10pts of team building. He is also riding at the easier Number four position yet he has lost almost half of his races (7) to riders with a lower average than him.

Masters doesn't appear to have started all that well, however, he has a far tougher position at No 5 and as you can see is often racing against higher averaged riders than himself, against which he has held his own. He's lost 3 times to riders with a lower average.

Skornicki, surely we all knew it would take at least a month for him to fully get back into the swing of things? He has eased his way in as expected, yet he's only been beaten 3 times by riders lower than him and he's won 3 against those above him.

The reserves, it was obvious they would find it tough going. Again though the reality is, every opponent Greaves has faced has a higher average and bar the reserve race, Clegg is the same. Clegg has won once and lost twice against riders with a lower average.

Clearly we have to hope for more from Clegg at home where he needs to start beating the opposing no 6's from time to time and beating the opposing no 7's the vast majority of the time.

• Like 1

Not entirely sure why we're particularly concerned about Skornicki at this stage, Seemed to improve as the meeting went on at Poole and let's not forget.. he was put in a heat leader spot, under the old format and we know how tough that is. Thorsell, the actual heat leader was given the much easier second string spot and didn't deliver.

There's no difference between riding at three and riding at four under this format. It's not unusual to put your third averaged rider at four so you have a stronger rider in heat 14.

The old format was pony, this format gives far more realistic averages than those that the EL format from the last few seasons produced.

There's no difference between riding at three and riding at four under this format. It's not unusual to put your third averaged rider at four so you have a stronger rider in heat 14.

The old format was pony, this format gives far more realistic averages than those that the EL format from the last few seasons produced.

You are replying to a post regarding the meetings against Poole, which were the old format, where 3 was far tougher than 4.

Edited by BWitcher

Whilst everyone jumps up and down that we are a four man team, they are once again forgetting we are built as a top heavy side. Let's take a little look at just who the riders are winning and losing against in our two league meets so far.

The codes here are:-

WH: Won against higher average opponent

WL: Won against lower average opponent

LH: Lost against higher average opponent

LL: Lost against lower average opponent

Lindgren: WL 14, LL 6

Howarth: WH 4. WL 9, LH 5, LL 0

Skornicki: WH 3, WL 4, LH 6, LL 3

Thorssell: WL 9, LL 7

Masters: WH 5, WL 3, LH 6, LL 3

Clegg: WL 1. LL 2, LH 10

Greaves: LH 16

The biggest problem thus far is Thorssell He is not there to be a second string anymore, He's our second heat leader taking up nigh on 10pts of team building. He is also riding at the easier Number four position yet he has lost almost half of his races (7) to riders with a lower average than him.

Masters doesn't appear to have started all that well, however, he has a far tougher position at No 5 and as you can see is often racing against higher averaged riders than himself, against which he has held his own. He's lost 3 times to riders with a lower average.

Skornicki, surely we all knew it would take at least a month for him to fully get back into the swing of things? He has eased his way in as expected, yet he's only been beaten 3 times by riders lower than him and he's won 3 against those above him.

The reserves, it was obvious they would find it tough going. Again though the reality is, every opponent Greaves has faced has a higher average and bar the reserve race, Clegg is the same. Clegg has won once and lost twice against riders with a lower average.

Clearly we have to hope for more from Clegg at home where he needs to start beating the opposing no 6's from time to time and beating the opposing no 7's the vast majority of the time.

So basically you have a 2nd heat leader who is actually a 2nd string and 2 terrible reserves. Nobody in that team will step up to 2nd heat leader other than masters. Where he will find it tough.

People can blame whichever rider they like in this wolves team. The reality is its not a play off one until changes are made.

I said this months ago and I got put down but the moment you signed Skornicki that was the playoffs gone. He has looked awful last couple of years. You have three good riders in your heat leaders. Howarth who is ok, but give me jack holder/ Kyle newman everyday of the week. Wolves needed a Jack Holder type rider. Sedgmen would have been a good choice.

Your reserves are ok but Greaves hasn't improved in 3 years and Clegg is just so overrated. No wonder he won't win against Klindt. Yes, Shanes will have bad meetings but he is a better bike rider and has experience more pressure with longtrack and grasstrack.

If I was Wolves= Get rid of Greaves bring in any two pointer. You might as well save 0.27 points.

Would remove Clegg and bring in Richard hall for the experience

Then I would bring Lawson in for Skornicki would make the team stronger at top and bottom.

• Like 1

I said this months ago and I got put down but the moment you signed Skornicki that was the playoffs gone. He has looked awful last couple of years. You have three good riders in your heat leaders. Howarth who is ok, but give me jack holder/ Kyle newman everyday of the week. Wolves needed a Jack Holder type rider. Sedgmen would have been a good choice.

Your reserves are ok but Greaves hasn't improved in 3 years and Clegg is just so overrated. No wonder he won't win against Klindt. Yes, Shanes will have bad meetings but he is a better bike rider and has experience more pressure with longtrack and grasstrack.

If I was Wolves= Get rid of Greaves bring in any two pointer. You might as well save 0.27 points.

Would remove Clegg and bring in Richard hall for the experience

Then I would bring Lawson in for Skornicki would make the team stronger at top and bottom.

Another one oblivious to what is actually happening.

• Like 1

You are replying to a post regarding the meetings against Poole, which were the old format, where 3 was far tougher than 4.

Ah of course, my mistake!

So basically you have a 2nd heat leader who is actually a 2nd string and 2 terrible reserves. Nobody in that team will step up to 2nd heat leader other than masters. Where he will find it tough.

People can blame whichever rider they like in this wolves team. The reality is its not a play off one until changes are made.

That is because of the average multiplication of 1.4 for riders that only rode EL last year. Wait for the new averages to come out after 4H 4A come into play. I agree with what others are saying in that your reserves look weak at the moment. Greaves did not perform well in last years PL so to move up will be hard, plus he's on the GTR which will need time to set up.

I think it would be harsh to sack both reserves. Clegg is riding at number 6 and is having to face some quality riders in each meeting, moving him to number 7 would mean he would have 2/3 races each meeting where he would be against riders that he is capable of beating especially at home. Greaves is clearly out of his depth but who realistically is going to come in on a 2 point average (That's available) and set the world on fire. Wolves would surely need to sacrifice a big hitter eg Skornicki to free up some points to give you a more solid outfit.

It's quite touching how so many non-Wolves supporters are desperate to see Wolves strengthen up!!

Give Cleggy a bit of time I say.

I seem to remember he started last season slowly even though he was riding in all 3 divisions and therefore getting a better chance to sort his problems out.

It's quite touching how so many non-Wolves supporters are desperate to see Wolves strengthen up!!

Give Cleggy a bit of time I say.

I seem to remember he started last season slowly even though he was riding in all 3 divisions and therefore getting a better chance to sort his problems out.

He should be at least as good as he was he was last season, but at the moment he's nowhere near that form. 3 or 4 points, at home at least, would be invaluable.

• Like 1