British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
NickRushbrook

Lakeside 2017

If the landlords agree to weekend speedway at arena, it will be a big task to set the place up for just a few hundred fans. I fear it will be a hard slog to attract the supporters in sufficient numbers, especially now that rye house have moved up.

If the landlords agree to weekend speedway at arena, it will be a big task to set the place up for just a few hundred fans. I fear it will be a hard slog to attract the supporters in sufficient numbers, especially now that rye house have moved up.

I agree cityrebel, if Rye want to attract Lakeside fan's AJ is the rider they need and Kennett of course. To have NL [suppose they'll change their name for 2017] speedway at Lakeside, well I think it won't happen. Cook was going to race a NL team a few years ago and they decided they couldn’t afford it, what's the difference now?

Edited by John Drake

I will give it go but I'd feel a lot better, if I knew we had Elite League, sorry, SCB Prem speedway to look forward to.

I think, for me, the worst part will be seeing our riders being distributed amongst other teams. That feels like we're waving goodbye to the Lakeside team, as a whole, not just the individuals.

• Like 1

If rye house do inherit some of the lakeside team from last season, it would make it a lot harder to re invent the sport at arena. I could definitely see the likes of kennett and Bridger lining up for the new look rockets.

Arena as it was then ran Conference League, the NL equivalent 20 odd years ago and it wasn’t well supported. Cook stating that he'd put a NL team out a season or two ago, then said it wouldn’t be financially viable. Is the rent for the stadium going to drop? Probably not, just the riders wage bill and I'm not sure that'll make fans come to see speedway at Lakeside. Birmingham's track is near the middle of the city, Lakeside isn't. Eastbourne do get fairish crowds when they’re winning and they're more remote than the Purfleet raceway, but I'm not certain enough people will go to Arena to support NL speedway, although I probably will.

The only reason Eastbourne have fair"ish" crowds is because they can't decide what night to race... if they set one night everyone knows where they stand and you'd get 100 more on the gate.

• Like 1

So Jon knew the date of the AGM and that at the meeting he would have to commit to running in the EL.
So why the hell weren't the rental negotiations completed beforehand.

Can only think this was planned and we've just been given the usual bullsh1t

I must agree something is not right if look

on positive side maybe its promotions way of getting

the local council of coming good on the promise of

our own stadium in the next 3 years as heard a rumour that

a plot of land is under offer or its just got out of their

control. or on the down maybe john and stuart fancy taking

on the belle vue promoting plot thickens.

I would not blame Stuart Douglas for walking away, it's his toy but he never gets to play with it and through one thing or another speedway at that venue has become almost unviable on more than one level.

National League or whatever they wish to call it won't likely draw enough fans in, I think the speedway track will remain but it will only be used for training etc the same sort of setup as Iwade has with two distinct tracks.

So yeah I can see the Hammers winding up and the place taken over and used solely by the Hagon Shocks academy and the ride and slide people, OR it could be 1996 all over again with the current promotion walking away or moving elsewhere and a new management taking over and trying their hand at seeing if they can make NL speedway work with a view of moving into the CL in 2018.

Let's not give up before seeing what is on offer. NL Speedway is better than no Speedway(IMO), so I will wait and see what is proposed.

Rye House going EL will certainly be of interest, but, as it stands at the moment, I can see myself attending both and watching more Speedway, not less, in 2017

The Hammers- Down but not out, we hope.

So Jon knew the date of the AGM and that at the meeting he would have to commit to running in the EL.

I don't think that was the issue. I am guessing he was looking for an alternative day to run, probably Saturday. However, until the diary for stock cars etc. are scheduled for 2017 it would be impossible to commit to either EL or PL.

I think you are reading something into the situation that isn't there.

In previous years Speedwáy has been predominantly on a Friday night and there was never any problem getting dates. Cook said on the mic about 2-3 months ago after a particularly horrendous night with roadworks and delays around the Tunnel that this couldn't go on and he wanted more Saturday meetings in 2017. Therein lies the problem. While the track is generally available on Fridays the stock cars use it on Saturdays and the Speedwáy fixtures can't be sorted until the stock cars sort their dates out. He clearly couldn't commit to the EL while all that was in limbo.

It's clear the Tunnel hasgone from bad to worse over the last two years, not just affecting Lakeside. It must be costing the country millions in wasted time and money with these long delays.

Edited by E I Addio
  • Like 1

The sad thing is, lakeside's present location has become unsustainable as a professional speedway venue. Poor facilities added to the horrendous traffic delays have taken it's toll on the crowd levels. Weekend racing is the ideal solution, but stock car fixtures understandably will take priority.

• Like 1

Edited by The Little Un

Had a wry smile yesterday when passing over the A12 at Bow a couple of times (I drive trains) the roads heading to and from the Blackwell Tunnel were just a giant car park as they always are on a Friday, always the same every week, never changes and I heard the M25 was even worse with queuing traffic along the whole of the Northern stretch, and you can bet the local roads would have been as equally bad, just further proves running speedway at that venue on a Friday night is akin to burning money, a later start helped initially but even that does not help now.

• Like 2