British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

The Collapse Of The Pound And The Effect On The El

What is up with NL and PL racing? as for a wobbler they have been in every era haven't they?.

Nothing wrong with it if that's what you like to watch. Personally I like to watch a higher class of racing and the GPs.

Edited by Steve Shovlar
  • Like 1

The pound has dropped, so what, it makes exporting a lot easier. It has dropped before and gone back up again and the same will happen again, most of the drop in the value is caused by the money marketeers and not sound economics. There was a period a couple of years ago when the £ was worth one euro but that did not last long. As the eu implodes the euro will drop in value.

Anyway have booked a couple of foreign holidays and am going off for a few months to enjoy myself.

As far as speedway goes, as mentioned by Sidney and others we had a National league meeting between Swindon select and Kent, it was fine, not EL standard but plenty of action. I would like to see the top riders but I can do that watching the GPs, if they are going to cost too much they can stay abroad. Lets develop British riders and let any that do not want to stay here go abroad.

Edited by A ORLOV
  • Like 5

Travel abroad and you will soon discover the pound doesn't go very far. In fact it has lost a huge chunk of its value compared to the dollar and euro.

Thoughts?

A the pound has lost a HUGE chunk of its value against the dollar ? My thoughts on that are don't believe what you read in the newspapers.

From where I am sitting right now , on the edge of the Gulf of Mexico, viewing the world through the prism of a 32oz Rum Runner it doesn't seem to me things have hardly changed at all since I was last here.

Like a number of others I was conned by the scare stories and bought some dollars when the so-called experts said the Bank of England was going to cut the interest rate further, and I foolishly believed them and got a rubbish exchange rate. Since then it has risen and in September I got a rate only a few cents down on what I got in January before Cam started his "tough negotiations", and it's still rising. I doubt many will be seriously affected by it in terms of going abroad. Like a lot of things in life there are deals to be had if you shop around.

As always, as soon as the Speedwáy season finishes the silly season starts on the BSF !

Edited by Daytripper
  • Like 5

In cycling, they operate Talent Teams.

Scouts spot the talented youngsters very early on and they are taken under the British Cycling umbrella.

They get the best coaching and guidance that it is possible to get.

And it doesn't stop, riders are constantly entering and moving through the system.

Hence, the last few years have been pretty successful on the cycling front!

There is no reason why speedway shouldn't adopt a professional approach, nurture the talent that is right in front of our eyes and stop taking the easy option of shipping in Johnny Foreigner.

Be careful out there.

:t:

I could not agree with you more Little Thumper the only problem I can see is that our "Professional sport" appears to be run at times by total AMATURES

I

I could not agree with you more Little Thumper the only problem I can see is that our "Professional sport" appears to be run at times by total AMATURES

That's what makes it so electrifying !

A the pound has lost a HUGE chunk of its value against the dollar ? My thoughts on that are don't believe what you read in the newspapers.

As always, as soon as the Speedwáy season finishes the silly season starts on the BSF !

Hardly silly season. Its a fact. The night before the brexit result the pound = $1.49. Fridays close was $1.29. A massive drop .

At the same time the pound bought 1.31 the night before brexit, and Fridays close was 1.11.

And you can't get 1.11 from the post office. More like 1.08.

Edited by Steve Shovlar

Immigration isn't the problem with this country but obviously the leave campaign used it to great effect thus highlighting how many idiots live on this island

and a lot of people who voted to leave think the same about you why do you have to start name calling this is a speedway forum not a Brexit forum

Nothing wrong with it if that's what you like to watch. Personally I like to watch a higher class of racing and the GPs.

you don't watch the so called elite league then as it's not higher class really is it Edited by kingbee
  • Like 1

I'm afraid this thread has been hijacked about coming out of Europe let's go back to talking about speedway

• Like 2

A thought that went through my mind when the drop in the pound was announced.Must make it harder to negotiate a contract for next season at the moment.No foreign rider will want to sign on the same terms as this year and possibly make a large loss,so will be asking for more........

Is there much difference now between EL and PL Leicester's line up this year really was of PL standard.Apart from the GP rider's who let's be honest in Britain are not un beatable alot of the others ride PL.So what live top class speedway do you watch S.S.?

Edited by Sidney the robin

Thats ok if you want to watch NL or perhaps PL speedway. Most EL fans want to see the best, not young wobblers.

So lobby the Govt to have a fair immigration policy for speedway riders.

PL footballers get here easy enough.

I only watch EL speedway too but there's no reason why we can't develop our own riders and supplement the elite league with top foreign riders - regardless of whether we are in the EU or not.

Poole had Bjarne Pedersen at reserve this season, if leaving the EU helps to stop ridiculous things like this then great. That reserve spot could've been used by a young and promising British rider, not a declining Danish rider looking for extra income. There should be questions asked when a foreign rider comes over here, such as where and how often they are going to ride etc.

Edited by Perton Wolf

So lobby the Govt to have a fair immigration policy for speedway riders.

PL footballers get here easy enough.

You are completely missing the point of the original message. This has nothing to do with riders not being able to ride here because of brexit and immigration.

It has everything to do with the huge drop in the value of the pound to the euro.

Edited by Steve Shovlar

You are completely missing the point of the original message. This has nothing to do with riders not being able to ride here because of brexit and immigration.

It has everything to do with the huge drop in the value of the pound to the euro.

You think riders are going to decide upon racing in the UK based on forever fluctuating currency?

I don't think that will even be a factor in their decision making. The pound has fell in value yes but has not collapsed, if it was to do so then it may be a consideration point. It will probably be back up in a few weeks time and then go down.......

• Like 1