Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

The Collapse Of The Pound And The Effect On The El

When we had this referendum vote on EU, most people, if not all, expected the vote was to stay. We were all subjected to weeks of scare mongering, everyone telling us what was right and what was wrong. A democratic vote when everyone has their say. To me this was what it was all about, when we all vote for what we wanted. There was always going to be those who voted against the majority decision, but that what a democratic vote is. You go along and accepting the majority.

It appears now, not only on this forum, we have plenty who don't want to accept this vote. Instead of which, are going on and on trying to undermine the voice of the people with their ideas of what they did was wrong. To me, these minority are doing nothing to help the cause, other than wallowing in their own self pity because the vote went against what they believed. Of course it's never going to be rosy from the start, which ever way the vote went. But wouldn't it be better to get on board with the preferred choice rather than whittling on about the lost opinion.

Like it or not we are leaving the EU. From someone who is old enough to have experience from both sides of the argument. the future doesn't have to be that good to be better than it has these past few years........ Lets give it a chance.......

As has been said if vote had gone the other way do you reckon the other side would have got on board ? just because the vote was to leave it does not mean it was the right thing to do or people should accept something they think is wrong . . one thing is for the sure as I said on the subject is that a public vote is a bad thing and the whole thing as shown and thats not because the vote was to leave

Edited by orion

As has been said if vote had gone the other way do you reckon the other side would have got on board ? just because the vote was to leave it does not mean it was the right thing to do or people should accept something they think is wrong . . one thing is for the sure as I said on the subject is that a public vote is a bad thing and the whole thing as shown and thats not because the vote was to leave

Agree. Its not as if it was a general election where Labour have somehow managed to get in and we have to suffer them for a term.

The brexit vote is completely different and in my opinion will wreck the economy, with The UK suffering considerably because of the vote to leave. How the hell can brexit people say, 'Ok, lets all be happy with the decision and make the best of it'. Never going to happen. Depending where you sit the result of brexit will either hit you lightly or hard. But hit you it will.

How can brexit voters say to me, except it and come on board. Are they going to compensate me the thousands of pounds I am going to be out of pocket, every year? Are they going to compensate me for the hundreds of pounds I am already out of pocket since the vote?

The brexit vote will cost us all very dearly and I feel anger and frustration, not only for myself, but for my family and younger generation who have been sold down the swanny by a bunch of middle aged white people 'wanting their country back'.

A catastrophic disaster for the UK. Nothing is going to change my mind on this, but I suppose I will be able to say. 'I told you so' in a couple/three years time when we cut ourselves off from our main trading partners.

Realising the damage being caused I have been working hard and already changed one of my businesses to be based through The Netherlands. At least I will be paid in the Euro and can convert back to make up the shortcomings of the weaker pound.

Edited by Steve Shovlar

I am sure had the vote gone the other way , there wouldn't be all the adverse behaviour as we are at the moment., some obviously, there are always some who wont accept. A democracy is where we go with the majority, right or wrong. I don't agree with what you say, the public has the right to vote when it is this important. What they voted for and how they voted was to there choice. Who are you to say they were wrong.

Agree. Its not as if it was a general election where Labour have somehow managed to get in and we have to suffer them for a term.

The brexit vote is completely different and in my opinion will wreck the economy, with The UK suffering considerably because of the vote to leave. How the hell can brexit people say, 'Ok, lets all be happy with the decision and make the best of it'. Never going to happen. Depending where you sit the result of brexit will either hit you lightly or hard. But hit you it will.

How can brexit voters say to me, except it and come on board. Are they going to compensate me the thousands of pounds I am going to be out of pocket, every year? Are they going to compensate me for the hundreds of pounds I am already out of pocket since the vote?

The brexit vote will cost us all very dearly and I feel anger and frustration, not only for myself, but for my family and younger generation who have been sold down the swanny by a bunch of middle aged white people 'wanting their country back'.

A catastrophic disaster for the UK. Nothing is going to change my mind on this, but I suppose I will be able to say. 'I told you so' in a couple/three years time when we cut ourselves off from our main trading partners.

Realising the damage being caused I have been working hard and already changed one of my businesses to be based through The Netherlands. At least I will be paid in the Euro and can convert back to make up the shortcomings of the weaker pound.

There's more to life than making money. If it beneficial for you to more your trade Holland then please do so. What a sad perception you have, saying ' a bunch of middle aged white people' sold you down the swanny. That comment alone speaks volumes of your selfish attitude. Over 17 million people voted to leave the EU, they can't all be wrong...

Probably the majority voted against people like you, where the few earnt far more than the masses, probably they were fed up being taking for a ride. probably they voted for a change. We will never know the full details only that they voted with their belief....... For those who cant accept it, then you have a big issue. If you decide to move back into the EU, I wonder how long it will be before you're back..

They say the grass is always greener.....

• Like 4

Whilst I truly sympathise Steve with you, and the countless others who have businesses that will suffer (some inevitably going into liquidation) let us not forget why Brexit came about.

It actually happened because it was instigated by David Cameron, and the tory party.

An obsession to win votes; and power for another term.

An odious, nasty little ponce of a public schoolboy; who will (give it time) prove to be possibly the worst Prime Minister in history. A man completely out of touch with those who are genuinely in poverty. A man who's despicable attack on disabled folk caused many to actually take their own lives; whilst his friends in banking and industry increased their personal wealth through tax cuts.

A nasty little individual; that despite his public persona, ruled office whilst his bumchum chancellor borrowed more money than every other Labour Govt. in history combined.

And a coward; that having caused this problem, jumped ship immediately - yet will now go on to again feather his own nest by spouting his bllox on the after-dinner circuit.

Remember Steve - YOU supported this coward and his poor excuse of a government.

I hope that you have come to realise that now as then, we clearly aren't "all in it together".

Edited by The Voice Of Reason
  • Like 9

Companies are and will be leaving the UK, that much is known, remember that article 50 is still a long way off..

What companies are they then and can you give the exact reason they are leaving? Can you name them please?

I am sure had the vote gone the other way , there wouldn't be all the adverse behaviour as we are at the moment.,

Your must be joking .. there no way they would got on with it ..it would have been ten time worst . this vote has not solved nothing the uk is divided by it

Edited by orion

What companies are they then and can you give the exact reason they are leaving? Can you name them please?

I wouldn't hold your breath. If they had names of companies do you think they wouldn't name them.Yet more project fear.

Or maybe they mean companies like Peugeot, perhaps closing down their Stoke Engines plant and huge Ryton assembly line and relocating to mainland Europe. Except that already happened 10 years ago, when we were as far as I remember in the EU, a move facilitated by EU grants to Peugeot.Losing thousands of jobs in Coventry.

More bad brexit news ,ING the Dutch Banking concern are creating new jobs in the City, indeed moving jobs from Brussels (oh the irony) to London.So the exact opposite of what we were told would happen. Indeed the IMF one of their beloved experts have confirmed that the UK is the fastest growing economy in the G7.

Yesterday showed how much some people seemingly hate their own country. Instead of cheering the great news for the North East and the UK, all they could do is whine and carp,perhaps an indication of where their true loyalties lie.They seem more interested in scoring political points, and would rather see bad news for the country if it means aiding their perverse viewpoint. It is clear the Great Remain Sulk goes on.

We can only properly judge if Brexit was right or wrong 5 or 6 years down the track.

• Like 4

We can only properly judge if Brexit was right or wrong 5 or 6 years down the track.

Can I have your address so I can post an invoice to you for the thousands of pounds I have lost due to brexit?

So I am going to lose tens of thousands in the next 5-6 years to discover if I am right or not. That makes sense.

I really hope brexit voters are bitten hard on the arse, as I doubt the money I am losing NOW will ever be recuperated.

On a Speedway theme Morten Risager has stated he will not be riding in the UK in 2017 and has stated that the fall in the value of the £ since the brexit vote is the biggest factor in his decision.

On a Speedway theme Morten Risager has stated he will not be riding in the UK in 2017 and has stated that the fall in the value of the £ since the brexit vote is the biggest factor in his decision.

I hope our promoters remember this when the value of the euro drops and he wants to come back.

• Like 3

Your must be joking .. there no way they would got on with it ..it would have been ten time worst . this vote has not solved nothing the uk is divided by it

. Farage claims every ballot that goes against him is a fix, he'd still be banging on. If we are all meant to hold hands and move on then surely the overbearing hubris needs to stop too. The reality is that no one, clearly not anyone in government, has the first clue what's actually going to happen and what post-brexit Britain will look like. It's a rare day I agree with Peter Hitchens but I suspect there'll be more than a grain of truth in his statement that we were only ever half in the EU, and post Brexit we will be only half out. Edited by Kester
  • Like 1

If you are thinking of buying a new mac, you are too late. Prices increased today by hundreds of pounds due to the weak pound.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37799235

Buy a toshiba then.... they decided to hold their prices.

I remember the bleating when the pound was increasing in value. The same people bleating at the reduction will bleat again when it goes back up again. Whinging Poms.

Can I have your address so I can post an invoice to you for the thousands of pounds I have lost due to brexit?

So I am going to lose tens of thousands in the next 5-6 years to discover if I am right or not. That makes sense.

I really hope brexit voters are bitten hard on the arse, as I doubt the money I am losing NOW will ever be recuperated.

Putting trade and sterling to one side. Give me one good reason why an ever closer political Europe was beneficial to you? I may put up with your whining then....

Perhaps become a lawyer there is a lot of money to be made on Brexit.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-37796836

Edited by Deano
  • Like 1

Putting trade and sterling to one side. Give me one good reason why an ever closer political Europe was beneficial to you? I may put up with your whining then....

Apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?

• Like 1

Apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?

He isn't bleating about going for a poo though.