British Speedway Forum
1 valve

Leicester Lions 2017

An obviously Hemsley-controlled media release at 7am to get something out before the BSPA's version later-on. Says he is stepping aside.......Didn't he do that months ago??

So really no change at Leicester. A co promoter becoming sole promoter. A shame its almost, 'as you were'.

Okay, lets try and forget the past 12-months, as difficult as that might be, and wish Mr Darcy the best of luck in taking Leicester Speedway forward.

Like many (particularly KIng's Lynn supporters), he didn't relay correct information to me last season, for which may or may not have been his fault at the time. However, everybody is entitled to a second chance, and I'm sure that he must have learnt his lesson now.

So as I said, good luck Mr Darcy, I hope you turn the fortunes of the club around, and that everybody at Beaumont Park enjoy a happy, successful and trouble free season, and that the public get behind you.

• Like 3

Dave Darcy announced as the new owner of Leicester speedway.

Where did you get the idea that Dave Darcy is the new owner from? All I can see is that he is the promoter and I am not even sure if he is the sole promoter as it does not say that in the press release. The press release also says that Dave Darcy is taking over running the business. So who owns the business. I am afraid that the press release asks more questions than it answers!

• Like 4

Hope that Darcy can raise a good team now. It won't be easy as so many of the top riders are booked. unless Coventry & Belle Vue pull out and that I don't want to see as it will be a poor league with so few teams.

Where did you get the idea that Dave Darcy is the new owner from? All I can see is that he is the promoter and I am not even sure if he is the sole promoter as it does not say that in the press release. The press release also says that Dave Darcy is taking over running the business. So who owns the business. I am afraid that the press release asks more questions than it answers!

Thought it was pretty well known that Buster Chapman is the new owner of Leicester?

It was made clear that he would have to put someone else in as promoter to run the club for him to avoid being seen as having a conflict of interests with his other club King's Lynn.

Strange though that the promoter is someone who was a promoter under the failed Hemsley regime, Aren't the Belle Vue promoters banned from doing the same?

Apologies, it's probably down to me not wording it very well. I should of said he's the new promoter.

Does Dave Darcy report to Buster Chapman then or is he still a Hemsley stooge? Can't say I'm overwhelmed by the news, I was hoping for a totally new broom.

• Like 1

So buster owns the Leicester lions Speedway club but not the stadium which is still owned by a man banned from speedway and his mate stays as the promoter of the club but he owns neither the club or stadium.

Interesting season ahead, Best of luck

Hope that Darcy can raise a good team now. It won't be easy as so many of the top riders are booked. unless Coventry & Belle Vue pull out and that I don't want to see as it will be a poor league with so few teams.

It's quite possible that those riders signed up by Coventry will become the Leicester team in the absence of a viable stadium at Brandon.

Cautious Lions fans will surely want clarification on a number of questions.

The rules require at least two promoters, so Leicester's promoters are Dave Darcy and...?

Hemsley today said he is standing aside, but what is he standing aside from, given he is already banned from being a promoter and he resigned as a director of Leicester Speedway Ltd in September 2016?

What is Buster Chapman's role?

What is the role of Leicester Speedway (2017) Ltd?

Does Darcy have control of Leicester's finances? If not, who does?

Hemsley today referred to a new management team. Who is on this team?

Will Hemsley still be pulling the strings?

• Like 3

It's quite possible that those riders signed up by Coventry will become the Leicester team in the absence of a viable stadium at Brandon.

It's suggested in the Speedway Star and now in the Lions article that we're already talking to a number of riders. They won't be riders signed for another club that have intentions of racing in the same league next year. In positive news regarding this- Sedgeman is rumoured to be one of those, and he's finished second in the South Aussie championships and now second in the first round of the Australian championship- ahead of some very good riders.

The rules require at least two promoters, so Leicester's promoters are Dave Darcy and...?

Hemsley today said he is standing aside, but what is he standing aside from, given he is already banned from being a promoter and he resigned as a director of Leicester Speedway Ltd in September 2016?

These are just my thoughts, based on my opinion/ insight (or lack there of), not fact:

1. Can't remember the fellas name, but I thought there was another copromoter, so I didn't think Dave Darcy was the only one.

2. I think David Hemsley has been aside for a while, was pushed that way. BUT, by saying he's stepping aside, it saves face.

3. I don't think Buster will want to do to much, as he'll be busy being chair of the BSPA and involvement at Kings Lynn. But by being in charge, he can get involved if he see's anything going by the wayside. and hopefully, he's the man, to sort the track out.

4. Leicester Speedway LTD (2017), has that not just been set up to take over ownership of the speedway business?

5. I'd imagine Buster Chapman would have ultimate control of the finances?

6. Hemsley's new management team was probably referring to Buster owning the company, Darcy being more involved with promotion (and whoever is alongside him) and it's been suggested there's a new team manager: Ollie Allen?

7. Can't see Buster getting involved without him knowing that he has more power over the Speedway than Dave Hemsley. Will however, be interesting to see if, as suggested, Hemsley now uses the area around the stadium to begin new ventures.

• Like 1

At least it was the very same Darcy that went on radio last year and promised that all Leicester's 2016 riders would get fully paid!!

Not surprised that the whole situation is unclear. PR is not a strength of the BSPA, the person running it or anyone connected with it. Let's hope it all becomes clearer in the near future, but at the moment I feel it is a missed opportunity to get Leicester fans 100% behind it and start to create a massive buzz around the city before the tapes go up again in March.

• Like 1