British Speedway Forum
1 valve

Leicester Lions 2017

Could be that as both Rye House and Swindon are both Saturday tracks and the fixtures will be added later if Leicester do ride on that night. (Not sure if has been finalised yet) and Coventry WELL?

Swindon are not a saturday track, they normally ride on thurs.

went for a walk up near BP today, spoke to one of the volunteers, ask if he had any idea what was happening? His said he didn't know anything but thought a statement was going to be released tomorrow, not sure what it will tell us though?

Have the Leicester promotion forgot about there fans or are they not bothered if fans forget Leicester speedway

Have the Leicester promotion forgot about there fans or are they not bothered if fans forget Leicester speedway

I think the Lions Promotion team need announcing first, Buster cannot be race night promoter, no manager named yet either, then we need some riders.....

So let's wait until the Cov announcement first, then everything else should just fall into place....

Some rumours, well, you just don't want to know...

So let's await for official announcements.

The options listed in Speedway Star this week were:

1) Coventry & Leicester track share.

2) Horton moves his entire team lock stock & barrel into Leicester

If option 1 happened wouldn't this immediately undermine Dave Darcy, or would he be no longer involved in Leicester (there was a hint in the SS that he may not be. If option 2 happened, i can't see anyway that it would succeed. Does anyone seriously think that Leicester fans will turn up to watch Coventry in all but name, with Horton in charge? Utter madness.

To be honest, if Leicester don't get their fingers out & sign some riders soon instead of waiting to see if they can grab any Coventry cast offs (& this isn't in any way meant to be detrimental to Coventry as i sincerely hope they ride this year), i fear that two sets of fans will very soon give up caring what happens. The current situation is completely farcical, no wonder speedway is hardly ever mentioned in the local media.

Edited by Liontamer
  • Like 3

Don't think we will hear anything until the Bee's have been sorted out one way or the other. If they fail to come to the tapes, then there are 7 riders that are contracted to the BPSA. No doubt most of them would be offered a place with the Lions. They have said they will make an announcement today so fingers and toes crossed.

This has got to be the worst close season the sport has had. Lets hope it is the last. Not the last season but the season, that we will all want to forget.

Does this mean we're signing Tai Woffinden halfway through the season?

Depends if you've reached the play offs , he only shows up for them ! :angry::(

Edited by WestGorton1884
  • Like 2

What would Lion's fans reaction be to the whole Coventry team signing for Leicester? I don't think I could support them as it would seem to me that, instead of losing the Bees, we will have lost the Lions!

What would Lion's fans reaction be to the whole Coventry team signing for Leicester? I don't think I could support them as it would seem to me that, instead of losing the Bees, we will have lost the Lions!

I know it sounds batty, but you're dead right, Lions no more, just saved the Bees....

The options listed in Speedway Star this week were:

1) Coventry & Leicester track share.

2) Horton moves his entire team lock stock & barrel into Leicester

If option 1 happened wouldn't this immediately undermine Dave Darcy, or would he be no longer involved in Leicester (there was a hint in the SS that he may not be. If option 2 happened, i can't see anyway that it would succeed. Does anyone seriously think that Leicester fans will turn up to watch Coventry in all but name, with Horton in charge? Utter madness.

To be honest, if Leicester don't get their fingers out & sign some riders soon instead of waiting to see if they can grab any Coventry cast offs (& this isn't in any way meant to be detrimental to Coventry as i sincerely hope they ride this year), i fear that two sets of fans will very soon give up caring what happens. The current situation is completely farcical, no wonder speedway is hardly ever mentioned in the local media.

I'm hearing a strong rumour about a necessary change of plan at Leicester from that publicly announced earlier this month, largely because of financial reasons. IF what I was told is true (and who knows what is and isn't in this crazy sport anymore?) Mick Horton could walk away from the sorry mess at Brandon, bringing his riders with him, remedy the aforementioned financial issue, and take on the promoting rights here instead.

If you take the club loyalty, emotional side of things out of it, it makes perfect sense.... Leicester has a track and no team. Coventry has a team and no track (not with shale on it anyway!). Do the BSPA lose two clubs or save one?

Can you imagine? Leicester Bees!

A desperate situation all round. Is it too far-fetched?

I'm hearing a strong rumour about a necessary change of plan at Leicester from that publicly announced earlier this month, largely because of financial reasons. IF what I was told is true (and who knows what is and isn't in this crazy sport anymore?) Mick Horton could walk away from the sorry mess at Brandon, bringing his riders with him, remedy the aforementioned financial issue, and take on the promoting rights here instead.

If you take the club loyalty, emotional side of things out of it, it makes perfect sense.... Leicester has a track and no team. Coventry has a team and no track (not with shale on it anyway!). Do the BSPA lose two clubs or save one?

It would be the end of both clubs as fans would walk away.

• Like 1

I'm hearing a strong rumour about a necessary change of plan Mick Horton could walk away from the sorry mess at Brandon, bringing his riders with him, and take on the promoting rights here instead.

If you take the club loyalty, emotional side of things out of it, it makes perfect sense....

Not too far fetched and as you say take the emotional side of things out of it, it makes perfect sense.

Putting into context the concept of Coventry moving lock stock and barrel to Leicester, it is not as if this is a team of riders who have ridden for Coventry year in year out, it is in fact quite a new team.

Yet again this type of scenario does raise more questions, but, it does make sense if (as I am sorry to say) Coventry cannot operate because of the mess at Brandon and frankly is very similar (but not entirely) what happened when Long Eaton moved lock stock and barrel to Leicester in the late 60's

That all said, what are the financial reasons?

....robert72.....It would be the end of both clubs as fans would walk away.

I don't think Leicester fans would walk away as they have no team at all at the moment unless I've missed a signing. They'd soon get used to the new riders and after a few matches it would be 'their' team. I'm sure one season, although I can't remember which one, Coventry had a completely different 1-7 and how things are in Speedway it's rare for many riders to continue with the same club they were with the previous year. Having Mick Horton as promoter might be the fly in the ointment though. Good luck with that. :P

• Like 1

It would be the end of both clubs as fans would walk away.

Surely, such a huge decision would be discussed openly to guage fans of both tracks reactions?