British Speedway Forum
1 valve

Leicester Lions 2017

The track curator at Leicester Terry is not new to this at all In fact is very experienced.

He used to be in charge of the track at Brandon and Birmingham along with Redcar this season.

As the Leicester Co Promotor Dave Darcy said a few weeks ago to fans the track will take time to settle in and will get better once the quarry is open again after a flooding problem to get some fresh shale to provide more grip and build the levels up.

So he is still charging fans top prices knowing the track is not good enough and may not be for awhile to produce decent racing.

Nobody has given any reason why Glyn was sacked. Personally, I would understand the situation better if I had these facts. Not Knocking the new track man, but if something isn't broken, there's no need to fix it.

• Like 1

So he is still charging fans top prices knowing the track is not good enough and may not be for awhile to produce decent racing.

Nothing new there as the track has rarely produced decent racing since Leicester opened. :D To be fair things definitely improved last season after bends 3/4 were altered so once it has settled down and the riders get used to the change to bends 1/2 the racing should be on a par to any other track, which probably means 5 or 6 good races out of 15. :wink:

I know its early days with the track alterations but in the two meetings I have been to I have not noticed any improvement in the racing. I sometimes wonder if the bad publicity about the track over the years has influenced the riders into believing that there is only one racing line and that, once they have bends 1 & 2 behind them on the first lap, then they just protect the position they have. I cannot remember may riders, other than Craig Cook, being prepared to try out different racing lines during a race. I fully expect Cook to be the new track record holder when next he visits Beaumont Park.

I know its early days with the track alterations but in the two meetings I have been to I have not noticed any improvement in the racing. I sometimes wonder if the bad publicity about the track over the years has influenced the riders into believing that there is only one racing line and that, once they have bends 1 & 2 behind them on the first lap, then they just protect the position they have. I cannot remember may riders, other than Craig Cook, being prepared to try out different racing lines during a race. I fully expect Cook to be the new track record holder when next he visits Beaumont Park.

The problem is more with the track preparation than the new shape now.

It's gone really bumpy and ultra slick,

Seems a long time ago but in the early days both Hall and, while he was there, Mathieu Tresarrieu both rode the boards for wins when others wouldn't. Hall getting 17 once from 6 rides and not all from the gate. Sometimes when a rider attacked it the track did have more to give. All lot of the better times in the old prem were when the track was how the riders wanted it which didn't produce great racing but not everyone moaned seeing wins.

Edited by bornagainlion

Seems a long time ago but in the early days both Hall and, while he was there, Mathieu Tresarrieu both rode the boards for wins when others wouldn't. Hall getting 17 once from 6 rides and not all from the gate. Sometimes when a rider attacked it the track did have more to give. All lot of the better times in the old prem were when the track was how the riders wanted it which didn't produce great racing but not everyone moaned seeing wins.

You're dead right. Hall and Tresarrieu both rode out wide and gave it some welly. I remember Charles Wright making a fantastic cut back from the 4th bend to go between opposition riders to a victory. Mr Sweetman won a few races after not hating as well.

You're dead right. Hall and Tresarrieu both rode out wide and gave it some welly. I remember Charles Wright making a fantastic cut back from the 4th bend to go between opposition riders to a victory. Mr Sweetman won a few races after not hating as well.

Lasse Bjerre was never afraid to go wide and give it the beans either. With the changes it should be better but the track surface does look poor at the moment. I know there were problems getting the shale but surely there is more than just one supplier?

Lasse Bjerre was never afraid to go wide and give it the beans either. With the changes it should be better but the track surface does look poor at the moment. I know there were problems getting the shale but surely there is more than just one supplier?

There aren't an abundance of suppliers no.

We are currently waiting shale from the Leicester quarry as they have had huge problems with it being to wet to mix.

Clearly it's taking time to get the shale in ridable state.

Hope Leicester are first in the queue then being as it's a Leicester quarry. :lol:

Hope Leicester are first in the queue then being as it's a Leicester quarry. :lol:

Clearly they are. We are still waiting!!

• Like 1

Guest GiveusaB

my first visit to Leicester last Saturday vs Somerset...... have to say the spectator viewing is second to none, just a shame about the track???? I wont be going again until it improves!? boring night's racing, i'm afraid.......having said that....I went to Birmingham on Wednesday and the track was as 'excellent' as ever, but there was only one race worth watching.......first out the gate...first to finish....in ALL heats!!! yawn yawn....roll on the Gp's !!!

Maybe when I went to Leicester for the Swindon match on 1st April (no I'm not joking) I saw something no one else has mentioned. Towards the end of the meeting, a few home riders were trying a very tight line into bend 1 not just in lap 1. It looked a bad line from I was standing, going down the straight very tight and turning extremely sharply into the corner. But what do I know? It proved quick and caught the leading rider totally by surprise. I think there is potential.

Maybe when I went to Leicester for the Swindon match on 1st April (no I'm not joking) I saw something no one else has mentioned. Towards the end of the meeting, a few home riders were trying a very tight line into bend 1 not just in lap 1. It looked a bad line from I was standing, going down the straight very tight and turning extremely sharply into the corner. But what do I know? It proved quick and caught the leading rider totally by surprise. I think there is potential.

You are not wrong, it was Josh Bates who tried it first, he ended the night on 14 + 1 I think, the tight line into turn 1 and out of 2 is the new part of the track,