British Speedway Forum
1 valve

Leicester Lions 2017

No Gem, I did not make it to any meetings last season and very few the season before, due to having a hole in my toe that went right down to the bone, it was touch and go if I was going to have my toe removed. As for this season, I can't do anything until it starts to get really warm, as the cold plays havoc with my toe and i would end up coming home early. With it costing me around £60 a meeting with admission and fuel cost to get there I am not prepared to waste the money.

What I see of thing so far this year it has been far worse than what we have had to put up with since the day things started up again, not only have we got a very watered down league, we have a team of riders, that can't even make it to the tapes on any given race night.We where told at the start that they would not be using any double up riders because of all the problems it causes with riders missing. So what did they do they got rid of 21 riders to be replaced by 2 double uppers. So now out of a team of 7 we have 5 that ride in the other leagues. Not a very good way to choose a team. So what happens on a given night when all 5 have to ride for their other clubs. 2 riders and 5 guests.

There was no thought put into this new league structure at all. Or should I say there has been very little thought put into looking into what rider races for which teams and sorting race nights to make sure that there are no clashes with the clubs.

This to me is one of the worst years that the B.P.S.A/S.C.B have managed to put together.

So as far as my grandson and I coming to BP this season, we will wait a while and see how things play out a bit. I for one can't afford to waste the money to come and watch a team of guest riders week in week out. At least they have a few weeks to get the shale brought in and get some put on the track as they have a few weeks before another home meeting.

I had great hopes at the start of this year with the new management, but I am beginning to have my doubts now.

No this is not just me having a gripe, this is me looking at things and facing a few hard facts. Get a team together, that you know will be the same 7 when you come to watch them bar injuries, then it may make a few fans want to come back, as things are going, there are quite a few who have had enough of it already, not just home supporters but quite a few away ones too.

No Gem, I did not make it to any meetings last season and very few the season before........

Which was my whole point as I can't stand injustices ~ you've very rarely been to any matches for at least 2 years and haven't been this season so why the rude comments. The idiot who now sits on the tractor has not got a clue and he never will have. Where do they get them from. How do you know he hasn't a clue if you've never seen him? I think you'll find he is an experienced track curator but probably having to deal with a difficult situation at the moment regarding the shale available and alterations to bends 1/2 which will take time to bed in.

• Like 7

Which was my whole point as I can't stand injustices ~ you've very rarely been to any matches for at least 2 years and haven't been this season so why the rude comments. The idiot who now sits on the tractor has not got a clue and he never will have. Where do they get them from. How do you know he hasn't a clue if you've never seen him? I think you'll find he is an experienced track curator but probably having to deal with a difficult situation at the moment regarding the shale available and alterations to bends 1/2 which will take time to bed in.

Go Gem!!!!

Go Gem!!!!

:D .......Can't stand people who say things they can't back up, especially when they're being downright rude, as I've been brought up to be conscientous.

• Like 5

:D .......Can't stand people who say things they can't back up, especially when they're being downright rude, as I've been brought up to be conscientous.

Well said. There is too much rubbish posted on here by people who think they know.
  • Like 2

Well said. There is too much rubbish posted on here by people who think they know.

Great shout

Your bang on with that statement

There is also a lot of good posts by people who do know aswel but that's why it's a public forum of opinions.

• Like 1

that's very true robert72, but there are a 1 or 2 posters whose opinions are darn right rude to other posters opinions.

• Like 3

There is also a lot of good posts by people who do know aswel but that's why it's a public forum of opinions.

Thats very true, I can't argue with that. But, there are a few that post inflamatory remarks in the attempt to have a go at another poster, which then turns into a slanging match between the two and totally takes over the topic. Or some that say something totally outrageous and have no idea what they are talking about. Edited by Honey Monster
  • Like 2

I never retaliate with a slanging match, if someone doesn't like what I post then that is their opinion, and until things start to get a little better at BP then I am afraid, that we will be staying at home.

Hope things do improve as I have followed speedway from a lad at Long Eaton, be following the Lions since they started racing again at BP. Thought last years league was bad but no where near what they have dished up this year. Can't see why they just didn't make one big league, it would have saved on the double up riders.

I never retaliate with a slanging match, if someone doesn't like what I post then that is their opinion, and until things start to get a little better at BP then I am afraid, that we will be staying at home.

Hope things do improve as I have followed speedway from a lad at Long Eaton, be following the Lions since they started racing again at BP. Thought last years league was bad but no where near what they have dished up this year. Can't see why they just didn't make one big league, it would have saved on the double up riders.

I couldn't agree more with you.

.....weatherwatcher.....I never retaliate with a slanging match....

I don't think anyone has said you do but if you want to call someone an idiot who hasn't got a clue then surely before you write that on a public forum you should think beforehand whether it's factually correct or not. :neutral:

As to one big league there's nothing I would like more either but where are all the riders going to come from if they already need to double up between 2 leagues now because there aren't enough.

Edited by Gemini
  • Like 1

There are riders from Europe, young riders who would love a chance to be able to race over here, plus we have a few young British riders some who have deserved a team place this year and been left out of the reckoning, the 2 from Coventry fit that bill, will they get a chance when things start to change next month. How young lads from over here can be overlooked to help them bring on their careers, beats me. We need to get then riding at top level speedway not sitting there twiddling their thumbs. But the way they have set things up this year, this has got to be the weakest ever, top league they have ever managed to give us. The top league is no better than last years lower one. Gone are the days when we used be the pick of nations to ride at. with all the big stars in every team, then things started to change the riders got greedy, the promoters almost went bankrupt trying to pay them, with not enough coming through the gates to cover for it.

Then the promoters told them they where only going to pay them a maximum fee. What did they do they, left our shores like rats from a sinking ship.

Without what British speedway did for them, they would have struggled, to make a living. One day soon we will see the same things happen in Poland and Sweden, where clubs can no longer meet the wage demands. What would you do if you was a promoter and they came running to you with their tail between their legs asking for a place in the team. I for one would say sorry but our team for next year has already been chosen.

It works both ways. it would be a case of we don't need you but they need us.

Edited by weatherwatcher
  • Like 1

There are riders from Europe, young riders who would love a chance to be able to race over here, plus we have a few young British riders some who have deserved a team place this year and been left out of the reckoning, the 2 from Coventry fit that bill, will they get a chance when things start to change next month. How young lads from over here can be overlooked to help them bring on their careers, beats me. We need to get then riding at top level speedway not sitting there twiddling their thumbs. But the way they have set things up this year, this has got to be the weakest ever, top league they have ever managed to give us. The top league is no better than last years lower one. Gone are the days when we used be the pick of nations to ride at. with all the big stars in every team, then things started to change the riders got greedy, the promoters almost went bankrupt trying to pay them, with not enough coming through the gates to cover for it.

Then the promoters told them they where only going to pay them a maximum fee. What did they do they, left our shores like rats from a sinking ship.

Without what British speedway did for them, they would have struggled, to make a living. One day soon we will see the same things happen in Poland and Sweden, where clubs can no longer meet the wage demands. What would you do if you was a promoter and they came running to you with their tail between their legs asking for a place in the team. I for one would say sorry but our team for next year has already been chosen.

It works both ways. it would be a case of we don't need you but they need us.

Presumably if there was one league of 18 teams, riders would only be allowed to ride for just the one team. At present 30 riders are doubling up and are all riding for 2 teams and would need to be replaced.

Nothing wrong with 'doubling up' and two Leagues .... just need each League to operate on different race nights so as to minimise occasions when riders are unavailable ....

Given that the UK tracks are seemingly unable to do that given rental / other agreements in place then we surely have to go down the route of 1 Senior League and fill gaps in the teams by using riders from the 'National League' if foreign riders are unable to be found.

Cheers

• Like 2