British Speedway Forum
1 valve

Leicester Lions 2017

How about if all current riders are used in the 1-5 and the 6&7 come from the National League? They could race only against each other and the 'reserves' role could come from the second strings. This would give the youngsters extra rides outside their own league and also get them interacting with more experienced riders.

I'm not suggesting that the idea is flawless but I really think we have to have to find a way of the reducing the double up situation. I don't think Leicester have ran a team without a guest or R/R yet.

Only time with the full 7 was Wolves away

Edited by Elmo

With most of the stadium in this country rented from someone else, the choice of race nights is limited to when the owners, let them use it. Is there a team in the top flight that has no double uppers, I have not looked, with so many racing for 2 or 3 teams, there is always going to be a clash of fixtures somewhere along the line. Gone are the days when you knew who your 1 to 7 where and you could follow them nearly every meeting. Now as is the case with the Lions, it makes you wonder sometimes who are the actual team members, with have been getting some many guests and r/r. That it makes a farce of picking a team, may just as well letting the clubs pick from a set number of riders for your meetings and forget having a team, because so far that is all that has been happening. There where meetings that the Lions should have won easily, only being let down by bad guests and the fact that the team are not actually riding together, to get to know one another.

It is not just Leicester that has had to suffer this, it is a blight of all the clubs. They will have to get things sorted out and soon, because fans from all the clubs had just had their fill of guest riders, they thought that this year, it would make things better. It seems that it has only made matters worse. Things where looking up for the Lions at the start of the season, with a half decent team put together, with a chance of finishing up the top half of the table, the way things are going for them now they will be sitting at the bottom yet again.

The fans where hoping for things to change, and change they must and soon before, people start walking away again, after being left disillusioned.

I see even next Monday away at Rye House Leicester have not got a full side as Gomolski is riding in SEC qualifier so no facility for him although Ayres should be ok to ride and then get up to Wolves for his Cradley meeting in the evening

Over the years, when Sky were in town, they dictated when you raced & it was mainly Monday & Wednesday so there you have it. Two race nights that are available for Premiership clubs as & when it suits. All Championship clubs do not race on these nights thus eliminating or definitly minimizing, the use of guests.

• Like 1

Lasse Bjerre in Josh Auty out.

Leaves a bit of a sour taste in the mouth this move... Not denying it improves the strength of the team and Lasse hasn't let us down when guesting this year, BUT, feels like we're starting to lose the Lions identity we were promised we'd keep. Before the season it was 'no changes will be made to accommodate Coventry riders into the team'. Now, if you include the manager, we have 4 members of the Coventry team (Lynch, King, Bates, Lasse) and only 4 remaining Lions from the initial team. To further this, Auty is and was a fans favourite amongst the Leicester faithful and was the only continuation of the team from previous years.

• Like 1

This sport amazes me surely they knew which fixtures Auty had you couldnt make it up.Gomolski never there Bjerre is ok a hot/cold character another foreigner nicking a place off an English rider.As i have said i understand why they have done it give this Leicester promotion the benefit of the doubt they come in quite late.Bates has made some strange decisions lately and needs to address what the supporters think at Sheffield a crap racetrack when we all know it is a top class one at his best.Bjerre is ok but you will see over a period he is no better than Auty plus is not always a trier like Auty.

Edited by Sidney the robin

Over the years, when Sky were in town, they dictated when you raced & it was mainly Monday & Wednesday so there you have it. Two race nights that are available for Premiership clubs as & when it suits. All Championship clubs do not race on these nights thus eliminating or definitly minimizing, the use of guests.

Indeed, it was always 'amazing' that Sky could decide which matches to cover to the season end half way through the season (when they could much easier predict the play off teams). And those teams 'all of a sudden' (with about four weeks notice at best), could put out full strength teams more often than not on a Monday and Wednesday.

And those who rented their stadiums with Monday/Wednesday as an off race night, managed to get their landlords to let them use the stadiums at such short notice...

Spooky...😉

Edited by mikebv

I don't understand this team change, are there problems with Auty behind the scenes?

Lasse Bjerre in Josh Auty out.

Wonder if Lasse's Danish team would ever consider replacing him with Josh?

😲

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

Was impressed with Lasse in the meetings I've seen him this year.

Good signing

Agreed. Felt the writing was on the wall for Josh when King & Bates signed, giving us a necessary two brits. Lasse was so quick against Swindon, scored more than Josh has ever done riding in the top five. Shame though as Josh has been loyal. Never gives less than 100%.

Onwards and upwards I guess.