British Speedway Forum
1 valve

Leicester Lions 2017

If leicester are unable to rearrange the date who would be the available riders we could call on - meeting would be no better than premiership vs national league meeting

I would have guessed about 300, don't know if that's good or not, my 1st visit to Leicester, impressed with the set up there

Leicester must now try to rearrange this fixture or seek to obtain some sort of special arrangement with the BSPA. It is not fair to expect many to attend such a farcial match. Don't clubs still get fined for fielding understrength teams now?

Leicester have spent the last couple of years refusing to rearrange fixtures against teams who had riders missing & no facility due to the SEC. I don't see why it should be rearranged just cos the show is now on the other foot

I would have guessed about 300, don't know if that's good or not, my 1st visit to Leicester, impressed with the set up there

That's bad. :neutral: I'd say the normal attendance is around the 1200/1500 mark but then it wasn't a 'proper' Lions Premiership match. I didn't go either.

It looked empty on the video clip.

when was the last premiership meeting and when is the next ? It's too long a gap for fans.

For a NL 'challenge' fixture as a '2nd' Team. The attendance was quite good, believe me. such as Kings Lynn, Coventry and BV.

I'm not sure Leicester are responsible for the fixture list ?? Unless they gave these dates as unavailable and I doubt that but I'm prepared to be stand corrected.

That's bad. :neutral: I'd say the normal attendance is around the 1200/1500 mark but then it wasn't a 'proper' Lions Premiership match. I didn't go either.

As you know from Cov. Attendances are quite small for 2nd teams. The crowd was probably increased because it was a Sat night and Cradley is a kind of Derby and their fans travel. I'd say 300 is a very conservative estimate I would have said more like 500 Edited by TMW

For a NL 'challenge' fixture as a '2nd' Team. The attendance was quite good, believe me. such as Kings Lynn, Coventry and BV.

As you know from Cov. Attendances are quite small for 2nd teams. The crowd was probably increased because it was a Sat night and Cradley is a kind of Derby and their fans travel. I'd say 300 is a very conservative estimate I would have said more like 500

Sadly that was very true for Coventry N.L. matches, especially the last two seasons when I should think the attendance was less than 300. Hopefully next Saturday there will be a lot of visiting Bees fans ~ I know many of my friends are intending to go. Not sure what riders will be in the team though being as half of the original ones are now riding for the Lions. :lol:

If they do it for £10 and do a good PR job then it will be packed, it's only a friendly match at Leicester against a makeshift Coventry team and another makeshift Leicester team next week and fans shouldn't have to fork out premiership league prices.

Leicester have spent the last couple of years refusing to rearrange fixtures against teams who had riders missing & no facility due to the SEC. I don't see why it should be rearranged just cos the show is now on the other foot

This season Leicester were all set to ride their home matches on Fridays and signed riders whose other commitments did not clash but along comes Mick Horton who convinces the powers that be that Coventry do intend to operate and insisted on keeping Fridays for himself. Lo and behold Leicester had to scrap all their plans and revert to Saturdays again. If they had been allowed to operate as intended then a better and more reliable team would have been formed. However the fixtures were duly drawn up with Leicester riding on Saturdays. This is why the BSPA should be asked for some help. It would help however if Leicester would consider changing their race night now that Coventry are not involved.

Normal matches 50/50 prize money is usually in the region of £300.00. This time however it was £185.00 which is a fair reflection on the attendance i.e. around 62% of whatever the normal attendances are.

......Barrow Boy 2.............This season Leicester were all set to ride their home matches on Fridays and signed riders whose other commitments did not clash but along comes Mick Horton who convinces the powers that be that Coventry do intend to operate and insisted on keeping Fridays for himself. Lo and behold Leicester had to scrap all their plans and revert to Saturdays again.

Is this fact or just what you are assuming? Can't really blame Mick for trying to keep Coventry running but in hindsight it was never going to work riding Bees matches at Leicester. Personally I can't see a great deal wrong with riding on Saturday's. If it was changed to Friday's the missing riders would no doubt still find some excuse not to be there ~ have to be at the practice, no flights over, have 24 hour flu, broken a finger nail.

Josh Bates selected for the FIM under-21 world championship semi-final which is also on May 20th, so with 3 riders out surely the Wolves fixture will have to be re-arranged.

Josh Bates selected for the FIM under-21 world championship semi-final which is also on May 20th, so with 3 riders out surely the Wolves fixture will have to be re-arranged.

Wolverhampton rode at Somerset last Friday with only 4 of their usual side available.

Wolverhampton rode at Somerset last Friday with only 4 of their usual side available.

Seem to remember Belle Vue winning at Lakeside not too long ago with just three of their own riders..

I say 'Belle Vue', but it obviously wasn't really...

Still, nothing wrong with that, because it's in the rules isn't it? So perfectly acceptable....

I think the issue was caused by the meeting being arranged on the same night as the 'Azerbaijani Masters' which took priority......😁

Edited by mikebv

Hopefully next Saturday there will be a lot of visiting Bees fans ~ I know many of my friends are intending to go. Not sure what riders will be in the team though being as half of the original ones are now riding for the Lions. :lol:

Garrity and Sarj both unavailable as well so seems little point in this meeting going ahead.

Edited by CB252