Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
1 valve

Leicester Lions 2017

Thought it would be appropriate to start this topic with three questions.

1. Does anyone on the forum know if there is the possibility that the Lions will run in 2017 and if so what league?

2. What is the latest date the Lions would be allowed to declare their 2017 intentions?

3. Is a new promoter definitely required for 2017 or could it be possible that DH has not total burnt his bridges with the BSPA?

Edited by 1 valve

1. I assume there's still a strong possibility that the Lions will be running in 2017, but I'd assume it'll be in the premier league (Provided someone steps up to join the Elite League- I imagine, Rye House, Glasgow and Sheffield might all be interested?)

2. Cant help you on that one im afraid

3. I imagine we'll have a new promoter and possibly even a new owner, as i can't imagine Hemsley and the BSPA being a functional relationship any more! Wonder if Dave Darcy might make the step up to promoter?

Also, Saw Nickolai Klindt tweeted he's already got one team place ready for next year. I doubt it's Leicester, but whatever league we are in, I would love to see him return as Lions skipper as I think he's been an excellent servant to the club. If we were in the premier league, I wouldn't be surprised to see Jan Graversen (Mr Leicester Lions speedway) return! Also, saw talk at some point during last season of Wozniak racing at Peterborough? If he were eligible for the Premier League, think he'd be fantastic were we to make the drop.

1. I assume there's still a strong possibility that the Lions will be running in 2017, but I'd assume it'll be in the premier league (Provided someone steps up to join the Elite League- I imagine, Rye House, Glasgow and Sheffield might all be interested?)

2. Cant help you on that one im afraid

3. I imagine we'll have a new promoter and possibly even a new owner, as i can't imagine Hemsley and the BSPA being a functional relationship any more! Wonder if Dave Darcy might make the step up to promoter?

Also, Saw Nickolai Klindt tweeted he's already got one team place ready for next year. I doubt it's Leicester, but whatever league we are in, I would love to see him return as Lions skipper as I think he's been an excellent servant to the club. If we were in the premier league, I wouldn't be surprised to see Jan Graversen (Mr Leicester Lions speedway) return! Also, saw talk at some point during last season of Wozniak racing at Peterborough? If he were eligible for the Premier League, think he'd be fantastic were we to make the drop.

I'm pretty sure Poles aren't allowed to ride Premier League or less they ride under a different licence to their Polish one, so if we are in the Premier League, Wozinak wouldn't be able to ride. I have to agree with you about Klindt, under the circumstances I think he's done pretty well this year & would like to see him return, especially as his last premier average was only 5.42. But let's just hope this mess get's sorted first & we are running next season ( preferably Saturdays in the Premier League).

Edited by stevethelion

As a shareholder of leicester speedway I wrote asking them for the accounts which are now overdue by 5 months , I also asked them for a report on the current status of the company and details of the operational activities going forward , also I asked for an extraordinary meeting if they were not able to give the details . Needless to say I have not recieved even an acknowledgement to my letter

Any suggestions ?

Almost certainly in the Premier League with lower costs and wages they can afford

I'm pretty sure Poles aren't allowed to ride Premier League or less they ride under a different licence to their Polish one, so if we are in the Premier League, Wozinak wouldn't be able to ride..

They can and have ridden in the Premier League and every likely hood that there will be a few in there next year with Adam Skornicki looking to ride in England and mainly be based here.

As a shareholder of leicester speedway I wrote asking them for the accounts which are now overdue by 5 months , I also asked them for a report on the current status of the company and details of the operational activities going forward , also I asked for an extraordinary meeting if they were not able to give the details . Needless to say I have not recieved even an acknowledgement to my letter

Any suggestions ?

Welcome to the Mushroom Club

Kept in the dark and fed manure

• Like 1

Any suggestions ?

Shareholders do have rights but if you are a minority member in a private company the rights are extremely limited. Are separate companies involved in owning the lease of the stadium and promoting the actual speedway albeit with DH involved in both, or is it the same company?

Edited by 1 valve

Any suggestions ?

What is the current distribution of shareholdings? I think you said recently that DH had increased his shareholding (having resigned as a director, leaving Y.Hemsley as sole director) and it sounds like he now has majority? Has this move on his part effectively restricted the other shareholders from having any scope? Sounds like, if possible, you need to get support from other shareholders in pursuing your enquiries with the director.

Shareholders do have rights but if you are a minority member in a private company the rights are extremely limited. Are separate companies involved in owning the lease of the stadium and promoting the actual speedway albeit with DH involved in both, or is it the same company?

What is the current distribution of shareholdings? I think you said recently that DH had increased his shareholding (having resigned as a director, leaving Y.Hemsley as sole director) and it sounds like he now has majority? Has this move on his part effectively restricted the other shareholders from having any scope? Sounds like, if possible, you need to get support from other shareholders in pursuing your enquiries with the director.

There are two companies involved. Beaumont Sports Complex Ltd who lease the land from the City Council and Leicester Speedway Ltd. who presumably pay rent and run the speedway. I think Leicester Speedway Ltd were responsible for building the track.

As far as shareholders rights are concerned have you looked at the Companies Memorandum and Articles of Association? Is there anything in there about calling extraordinary meetings?

I would be interested to hear from our shareholder poster if there have ever been any profits from running the speedway and what they have amounted to!

Almost certainly in the Premier League with lower costs and wages they can afford

They can and have ridden in the Premier League and every likely hood that there will be a few in there next year with Adam Skornicki looking to ride in England and mainly be based here.

Welcome to the Mushroom Club

Kept in the dark and fed manure

Am I missing something? I thought Skornicki had retired some years ago and had become a team manager? Whats changed?

Am I missing something? I thought Skornicki had retired some years ago and had become a team manager? Whats changed?

He wants to race again, team manager perhaps isn't the same sort of "adrenaline rush" that racing provides!!!! Money is probably better racing as well!

As Happy Hunter says, there are two companies, they are both limited companies.

I'm presuming Kye1 is talking about Leicester Speedway Ltd. The move by D.Hemsley to increase his shareholding does seem designed to give him control following his resignation as a director. I wonder if this has anything to do with the reported divorce (either forthcoming or current) between the Hemsleys, with the possibility of the company being sold.

Sounds like Kye1 does need to study those Articles of Association carefully and get in touch with the other shareholders.

Would be interesting to know if there has ever been any dividend paid to shareholders, I somehow doubt it!!!

Any suggestions ?

As you say the accounts still look to be over due.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/06980469

I imagine we'll have a new promoter and possibly even a new owner, as i can't imagine Hemsley and the BSPA being a functional relationship any more! Wonder if Dave Darcy might make the step up to promoter?

I am sure there are plenty of interest from other parties in taking on the Leicester promotion - Elite or Premier league.

If they are the normal Speedway Club shares, they just keep printing them, as they find people willing to part with a few quid, if you want a thousand, they would probably print them off over the weekend.

Edited by Lord Skid

There are two companies BSCL & LSL both until recently had one director DH ,

DH is still in complete control of LS as the major shareholder and is the sole director of BSCL who own the lease on the BP site . LSL were not the only people who were involved in the building of the stadium were they !!! .There has never been any dividend paid out to a shareholder and up until a couple of years ago they were not even registerd . As far as the accounts no one knows if there were any profits as the accounts are only abbreviated and the last one not even signed off by the accountant . Also I have only ever recieved two sets of accounts and in all the time I have held them and that is from the very beginning I have never seen the mass amounts of money made from the tipping mentioned .